Author Topic: Drying out lcd?  (Read 903 times)

Offline noah03ark

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Überm Sternenzelt richtet Gott, wie wir gerichtet
Drying out lcd?
« on: April 14, 2010, 02:14:44 PM »
yesterday i came in posession of a valuable water damaged piece of tech. Taking a look inside, the mobo looked screwed, it had rust and whatnot hither and thither.
I took it home and cleaned up the mobo as much as possible with a toothbrush and eraser..
next day i get the charger for this device, as the battery was clearly dead, and it worked! booted up and whatnot. the screen, however, lasted very breifly... it went out after a couple of minutes

i disassembled it for, probably, the 10th time now, and worked my way to the lcd, disassembled that, and noticed some water remained in there.

could i theoretically get rid of the water and salvage the lcd? or do i have to buy a new one..
thanks, i could really use some tech pros on this

p.s. right now the lcd is having the water removed.. i'll check it in a bit..

Offline DubbleDutch

• BlietZ Modding
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +3/-0

Re: Drying out lcd?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 02:56:11 PM »
it could work ;) depends on the hardware
and what hardware has been damaged ;)

some hardware might have short procection on it ;) so it prevents from getting damaged if some circuits get a short

so in this case it's just hoping that the water didnt short the wrong circuits ;) and hope it works

also look out with lcd's and water. some capacitors can hold up a lot of power inside of them, i rather not see anoyne take a shock from those nasty things :P

To all of you crying about lag and kicks, remember… when Jesus died, took him 3 days to respawn. Now THAT is lag.

Offline HiddenVenom

• Gone 'shopping
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • Photoschlop.
    • Star Legion
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 04:19:38 PM »
If it got mixed with the Liquid Crystal... No chacnce.

Offline 802Chives

• Sargeant at Arms
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +10/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 07:00:50 AM »
right there is liquid in the liquid crystal, all bets are off it the crystal is broken.  If it is not broken there is a pretty good chance that it will be ok.

completely disassemble and put parts in a bowl of dry rice, that will absorb all the tiny tiny particles of water.  I usually rinse with rubbing alcohal before putting it in the rice to clean contanimants.

heya Noah! good to see u.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal