Author Topic: Micro SD Pic Chip  (Read 1810 times)

Offline konnorrigby

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +1/-1
  • Chillin in a tree.
Micro SD Pic Chip
« on: September 13, 2010, 06:28:45 PM »
Ok.. I know it sounds a little ridiculous. but think about it, you see a new code youd might want to use, and hey look at that you just plop your card in the computer and look looky. it will work.

So i think im technically inclined about this. maybe not we will soon find out. so i have a few card laying around and a little clicker removable deal to plug it into. i know the pin outs for it. but how would i run it to a chip say i want to use the t0pfire code on the card. how would i get it to work with the card and 12f683 pic chip? i think im fairly original for thinking of this..  :#1: Lol.

Offline d3v1ld0g

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Re: Micro SD Pic Chip
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 10:08:12 PM »
First of all, you would probably need more than a PIC12F863, because it only has 6 I/O pins, and to get something bigger to fit into a controller, you would probably need a QFN package or some other small surface mount package. Also, to make a microcontroller compatable with a SD card, now im not sure about this, but i think you need to buy code from the maker to make devices compatible with it, and it would probably be some hardcore programming.

I was thinking about making something like this, but it would just plug in through USB, so using a PIC18F4550 (of cource, a small package to fit inside the controller ), and just storing patterns on the built in EEPROM, but the problem with the EEPROM is you have only like 256 bytes of data to store patterns on. I think this would be a great project for me to attempt, in fact, i already have 2 18F4550s on the way, but i do not have enough hardware knowledge to figure it out. I've tried to get some help, but i cant seem to get much as of now.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 10:13:37 PM by d3v1ld0g »

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 04:22:30 AM »
this is an origional impractical idea. I would not waste alot of time here. but to each his own. the biggest problem as that the codes are not all wired in the same manner. so even though you could reflash the controller, it needs a diferent wiring schematic so you have to go inside the controller anyway.

Offline 802Chives

• Sargeant at Arms
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +10/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 09:51:22 AM »
this is neither original or impractical.  this is Hazer's holy grail of controller mods.  Loading usb/flash with .hex and being able to store a bunch of speacialized code has been talked about for many years.

D3v1ld0g's post hits it right on the nose (minus that part about amount of IO).  I would'nt start with anything less then an 18F, but that is more because features and supported libraries, then I/0, but I think that what you meant anyway.

Using SD technology does have hefty royalties.  An SD card boatloader would be very slick, I am sure there is something open out there already in motion.  An yesh coding would be very hardcore :)

try using an external EEPROM if you need something that will give you more space and easy access ;)

Offline konnorrigby

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +1/-1
  • Chillin in a tree.
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 05:36:11 PM »
Hmmm. that sounds like alot of work.. and i am lazy. I might look into it in the future but my school takes priority right now. and i dont know that i am quite skilled enough to write the code.. i would really like to work with this and probably will on and off, but the code is going to suck to wright.....  Help would be much appreciated.  :help:   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal