Author Topic: PIC output voltage?  (Read 913 times)

Offline spookhunter

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
PIC output voltage?
« on: June 14, 2010, 09:41:22 PM »
I have a controller with topfire installed, I want to use 5mm leds for my rapidfire indicator light. The specs on them are very similar to the 0603 leds I already have installed. 5mm are at 3.0-3.4 volts/24 milliamps compared to the 0603 leds which are 2.8-3.4 volts/20 milliamps. I would assume that since the specs are similar enough that they will work just the same but assuming has gotten be in bad spots before.  So what is the voltage being output from legs 2 and 3 on a 12f683 with topfire installed?

And how about the current? What is the max continuous current the chip will output? Because I would like to wire 2 leds in parellel to each leg if possible. I have a feeling there is not nearly enough current for that though.

My goal with this controller is to have the corresponding trigger light up when rapidfire for it is turned on and if possible have the dome light up when either rapidfire is on.  Any ideas for accomplishing this?

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
Re: PIC output voltage?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 05:45:28 AM »
you wont be able to run 3v leds with a matrix controller. not easily anyway. to get 3v you need to pull power direct from the batteries, use an optocoupler for on/off switching. otherwise you will only get 2.6v which is not enough to light your LED. as tyipically output is equal to input.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 05:46:49 AM by modded matt »

Offline spookhunter

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 09:47:57 AM »
Oh, okay thanks.  The controller is a cg2 though so the chip is powered right off of the battery source, will this make any difference?

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 10:11:01 AM »
that means you can pump 3v off the battery, use an optocoupler to switch it on and off with the controller, or pull the battery. the only problem is as the batts start to deminish your lights may not be as bright as they were when they were fresh as, it is not a clean regulated power supply.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal