Author Topic: Controller Problems!!  (Read 1628 times)

Offline Noodles48

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Controller Problems!!
« on: August 08, 2010, 04:40:07 PM »
Ok so im kinda new to modding out the controllers with rf and new leds and such did it perfectly on 2 of mine. i just started to work on my friends controller, i installed topfire got that working then took off all of the leds and accidently ripped out a wire of the chip. so i re-soldered it back on to the chip plugged it in and tested it. i then started to put the new leds on to the controller then the led lit up then stopped, i looked to see what happened then noticedth e controller was still plugged in and now it wont work. so my question in all of this did i fry the mobo on the controller?! is there any way to fix it?! please help like i said its my friends controller and i really dont want to buy a new controller thanks

Offline eNeRGy

• BioLogic Mods
  • Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
Re: Controller Problems!!
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 05:29:52 PM »
You fried the mother board because the soldering iron surpassed the operating temperature of the board while it was operating (plugged in).
..::BioLogic Mods::..
__"Why play fair?"__

Offline Noodles48

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 05:37:48 PM »
 :censored:!!!!!!!!! thanks for you help looks like ill be buying him a new controller...

Offline eNeRGy

• BioLogic Mods
  • Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 05:49:04 PM »
Its an easy mistake I messed up mine a few months ago so dont feel bad everyone does it once in a while.
__"Why play fair?"__

Offline Noodles48

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 06:04:48 PM »
one other question... i have a wireless controller which i dont use anymore (his was a wired) and he is hell bent on having wired so i was thinking could i just possibly turn my wireless mobo into a wired by removing the charging port and sync button then trimming the board up a bit to make the wire fit and just desoldering the  contact points for the battery and then adding the wire connector from the wired controller. would that work or is there something im missing, im just guessing here  :dntknw: trying to save me 35 bucks...  :laughing:

Offline eNeRGy

• BioLogic Mods
  • Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 09:19:46 PM »
I would not know it sounds right.
__"Why play fair?"__

Offline Phantom

• Club AM VIP
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +11/-1
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 11:09:33 PM »
a wired controller runs on 5v, where as a wireless controller only runs on 3v. you might fry another controller if you hook it straight up to usb.

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • Research & Development
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
  • Electronics Expert Electrical Engineer
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 12:42:45 AM »
a wired controller runs on 5v, where as a wireless controller only runs on 3v. you might fry another controller if you hook it straight up to usb.

You could regulate the 5volts USB power to 3volts using a Zener Diode and capacitor regulator circuit. Post reply if interested in my schematic.

If you look at the charge n play adapter circuit board you will notice two regulator ICs and a few capacitors that turn 5 volts into 3 volts without significant power loss.

Follow my Instagram and subscribe to my YouTube

Offline Noodles48

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 05:39:13 AM »
ok FOOKz i am interested in your schematic. since you said that there is already some caps that do that wouldnt i be able to just wire those up to the power source before completing the circuit? this whole thing is a learning experiment for me so im just guessing on most of this. thanks for yalls help  :tup:

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • Research & Development
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 04:33:52 PM »
Here is the schematic for a regulator for a wireless controller:

Just hook the USB's 5 volt power to the input of the circuit and then connect the circuit's 3.3 volt output to where the batteries will normally hook up.

Offline Noodles48

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 04:58:54 PM »
you are a life saver! more like a money saver but same difference...  :laughing:

one problem though... where do i get a 1n4620 diode? i looked on radioshack, mouser, sparkfun and even googled them but only find datasheets on google, is there something else that i could use instead?

Edit:
i have a bunch of 1N4148 diodes laying around, could they be used in some way instead?
I found the diodes, im just retarded lol
will these work?
http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=MMBZ4620-V-GS08virtualkey61370000virtualkey78-MMBZ4620-V
http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=RC1%2f21R0KBvirtualkey58490000virtualkey791-RC1%2f2-1R0KB
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 06:11:23 PM by Noodles48 »

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • Research & Development
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 10:19:56 PM »
Yes those will work but your Zener Diode is surface mount but that's ok you will just have to solder your own leads to it.

Surface Mount Zener diode pinout:

Offline Noodles48

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2010, 06:00:02 AM »
Thank you so much for all your help!!!  :tup: :clap: :hifive: i just ordered the parts so in a couple of days ill tell ya how this all turns out!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal