Author Topic: Stereo Speaker Mod Tutorial  (Read 11810 times)

Offline Thane

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
Stereo Speaker Mod Tutorial
« on: August 26, 2008, 05:29:16 AM »
Tutorial: Speaker Mod for the PSP

Credits to mootoo for the tutorial for the PSP Phat. I'm such a bum until he noted me to credit first. Teehee.. :victory:
https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=19329.0
and thanks to folklord36 for the pin on the headphone jack explanation. :yess:
https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=22014.msg166854#msg166854

sorry for the bad quality eh.

Speaker used: Sony Ericsson MPS-70 Portable Phone Speakers
it really booms the sound, but drains your battery like a vampire. will post a mini tut shortly after i disassemble it.

Last night I've conducted a little experiment. leaving your psp switched off throughout the night consumes 7% of the battery. this is because the speaker is directly connected to the battery and grounded. meaning it keeps discharging the battery though turned off. you can place a switch to cut it off at the ground point, or you can find an alternate 3.6V point on the mobo that has current only when you turn it on. but i dont know where it is. T_T

Do note though that I only did this mod. How you wanna customize it, place it, modify it, is fully up to you. I got no resource to make a new backplate to house the newly placed speakers, that's why its sticking out like that.

now, lets get started shall we?.

items:
a Sony Ericsson MPS-70 Speakers
a meter of different coloured 30gauge kynar* wires (depends, if you dont wanna color code, you can use only one color)
a soldering kit consisting of soldering iron, solder, soldering paste (flux), a damp cloth (to wipe off the bit of the soldering iron.makes the soldering process cleaner without black carbons)
tweezers if you have a hard time handling small parts
wire cutter, wire crocodile pliers
a solder wick if you got any
and of course, a psp. haha :lol:

*30 gauge is the size of the wire.
please follow the exact steps in this tut as you can possibly damage your psp permanently.

Warning, massive pict bomb.

The speaker part.

first of all, you wanna strip the speakers naked first. to do this, pry along the area.

and then continue to unscrew the visible screws in there. should be no problem at all. :)

these will be the internals of the speakers

that little circuit beside it is indeed the amp circuit for the speakers. that means you dont need to buld one from scratch like the soundmod. :nod: moreover, it uses 3.6V, just like the psp. it eases the process as you dont need to do any calculations to make it work.
after disassembly, desolder the wires that goes to the phone jack. (that part where you stick into the cellphone. )

a closer look at the circuit.

the points from left to right:
+, -, C, L, R, RA
note the C and RA? well, me and the guys failed to register the use of it. so we concluded its a Sony Ericsson exclusive point. no need to solder them.

the + should be the +3.6V and is the power in for the amp. the - is the ground. L and R are obviously the input for the amp.
the L+, L- and R+, L- are the pins for the speaker output. cut off the wire from the speakers. it eases the fitting.

now, that should clear the speaker part. moving on to the psp part.

The psp part.

dissassemble the psp, this guide might help: PSP Slim Dissassebly Guide.
please make sure you've read and fully understood the process. a wandering mind can really screw things up.

in order to give way to the speakers, the umd reader have to be taken out.  i dont think it will be much problem as you guys must've tons of .iso games.
also, holes must be drilled on the umd door to locate the speakers.

the amp will be placed under the d-pad, at the left side of the backplate. there is ample space under the mem stick reader, and coincidentally, the amp doesnt bother the mem stick reader at all. just enough space. :)

cut off the minor supports in that area.
drill a hole on the wall beside it to route the wires to the speaker outside. this should do the trick

Soldering the amp to the motherboard.

take the headphone jack fom the psp, and short the pin 3 and 4. shorting them tricks the psp that there is a headphone jacked in. you can add a switch there to enable on/off functions. but too bad i got none now.
the 1 pin is the Left input, and the 2 pin is the Right input. solder them to the L and R pins on the speaker amp.

connect the + pin on the amp to the battery connector on the psp motherboard.
make sure you solder it to the lower pin on the right connector. *make sure u dont over use the solder and cause it to touch the other tiny components. that'll be bad*

connect the - pin on the amp to a ground point on the motherboard. now, there are a few ground points on the motherboard also the headphone jack board. but in this case, i soldered them to the motherboard's ground point, easier.

after all that had done, place them orderly in the space we've cleared.
a pict might help.

remember to insulate the exposed circuit from the mem stick cage. they might short out. for low voltage electronics like this, a simple masking tape is enough. but for safe, use an insulating tape.

note how clean the wires are?. it may take some time for you to tidy up. but trust me, its worth it.

run the speaker wires out the hole in the wall we made earlier to the umd slot, and solder the speakers respectively to their connectors.

After all that is done, reassemble the psp carefully. try not to break anything in the process.
test the speaker.
done.

***added
remade the cage for the speakers using the stock case for the speakers. gotta trim off some areas to fit it in and the great thing is it can close properly now.

though just supported by some double sided foam, it can close well and less 'ghetto' looking. haha. now im looking for fiber putties to remould the new plate.
hey anyone know where they sell those?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 08:03:57 PM by Thane »

Offline rojs

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • MyMitsuPh
Re: Stereo Speaker Mod Tutorial
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 06:18:10 AM »
Thanks for the TUT...  :tup:

Offline folklord36

• Research & Development
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 07:08:37 AM »
Nice tut good work this is the only place with all the slim info need for a speaker mod it took me so long how to figure out how to send audio to headphones it is not posted anywhere at all even thought it is obvious. Did you ever solve the problem of the door not fitting those speakers seem a little bulky? If im not mistaken that amp pushes 8 ohms to the speakers get some of those radio shack 8 ohm speakers trim the plastic a bit and fit them inside your door you can fit 4 flush on the door and wire 2 in series for the left and right that should work :victory:

Offline Thane

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 08:31:23 AM »
Nice tut good work this is the only place with all the slim info need for a speaker mod it took me so long how to figure out how to send audio to headphones it is not posted anywhere at all even thought it is obvious. Did you ever solve the problem of the door not fitting those speakers seem a little bulky? If im not mistaken that amp pushes 8 ohms to the speakers get some of those radio shack 8 ohm speakers trim the plastic a bit and fit them inside your door you can fit 4 flush on the door and wire 2 in series for the left and right that should work :victory:
thanks for the comments. yeah i failed to find any tut covering most of the things i've covered here. so why not do something that eases everyone else in as many ways possible? :yess:
i havent found a solution yet for the speakers placement. also, the speakers you've just mentioned, their quality? is it the same as this set or better or worse? if they're the same/better, i might consider buying them. :hifive:
the prob about the speakers is that the solenoid is too freaking thick. the same height as the speakers itself. maybe that explains the quality. haha

Offline Sanctus

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 02:33:03 AM »
Really nice tut man thanks alot :). Are the MPS-60 speakers the same size and do they have an amp to? I would assume they would have an amp but I want to make sure. The speakers look real fat, do you think theres a way of dismantling them further?

Offline Thane

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 05:37:10 AM »
Really nice tut man thanks alot :). Are the MPS-60 speakers the same size and do they have an amp to? I would assume they would have an amp but I want to make sure. The speakers look real fat, do you think theres a way of dismantling them further?
yeah i think they do have as speakers like that need some real power to function.
i think theyre situated in the little box that you plug into your phone. and, the speakers are the same i guess, i've seen the speakers before. my friend has it.

Offline val-mtz

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 10:21:22 PM »
nice mod i plan on doing something like this .....but i plan to keep my umd drive......looks awsome though.... :hifive:

Offline ApheX

• Club AM VIP
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • PSP And PSP Slim Case/Hardware Modder
    • ApheX MoDs
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2008, 01:31:41 AM »
Thane, this is a great tut dude! clear and to the point. will use this tut for my next mod.  :tup:

Offline MykR0

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • mini me says?
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 09:50:29 PM »
nice tut man do you know the length of those compacitors?
-Projects done-
     psp slim
-Current Project-
        Wii
Neelix:  “Coffee, anyone?  Captain?”  Captain Janeway:  "No thanks.  I've had enough.  One more cup and I'll jump to warp." 01100110 01110101 01100011 01101011 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 ^translate me :)

Offline Thane

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 02:17:25 PM »
nice tut man do you know the length of those compacitors?
im not really sure myself, never measured it. but one thing for sure, after trimming the internals of the psp backplate, the clearance is really good. didnt even bother the mem stick cage at all.

Offline mootoo

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2008, 04:10:47 AM »
When U put some headphones in it they will play ,so U need only turn the amplifier off with some switch .
BTW: credits ???

Offline Thane

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2008, 07:57:10 PM »
When U put some headphones in it they will play ,so U need only turn the amplifier off with some switch .
BTW: credits ???
yep2 they will still play. im still looking for a switch small enough to put in there. still cant find any. thinking about buying an electronic device with a switch small to fit in. damn.
credits?? owh right, how stupid of me. thanks for the note. :hifive:

Offline LaCozTe-2028

• BANNED
  • E = MC²
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • I love My Lacoste shirts
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2008, 09:29:47 PM »
try buying a dip switch on ebay

try droping it again
my retared friend fixed by droping it
 1Sniper- not to be an :censored: but, its special friend

Offline id00bi

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2010, 09:26:17 AM »
has anyone still have the photos of this tutorial?? thanks

Offline arjohn

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +3/-0
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2010, 06:40:44 AM »
yup.. need help to.. i think this is only the tutorial can help me.. and others..

Offline Mr.Nobody

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2011, 11:43:12 PM »
the images are not working anyway the OP can fix?
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
Get wasted all the time
And have the happiest time of your life!! :)

Offline frenulem - No.5417

• Ultimate Badass
  • Blogs & Media Team
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +23/-0
  • Learning Pascal Cuz i'm dumb and 'Ting
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2011, 02:16:00 AM »
Please don't bump old topics

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal