Author Topic: Help, Laser replacement question.  (Read 1409 times)

Offline Soularis

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Help, Laser replacement question.
« on: February 01, 2011, 01:42:31 AM »
Ok so my xbox360 started having issues reading disks and eventually i opened it up and adjusted the laser strength with that little screw on the benQ drive and that worked for awhile. But eventually it started to mess up some more and if i wanted to get games to work i would have to mess with it for a hella long time.

So i finally went and ordered a replacement laser for it and installed and removed the cold solder point and all but its still not reading disks.

the laser light comes on and it tries to read but after like 30 seconds it just gives up and goes back to open tray.

So i was wondering if i just got a bad laser or if there could be another issue going on here.

if anyone has any ideas i would be very thankful.

Thanks for your time.
Soularis

Offline Famas

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +1/-8
  • Acidmods User
Re: Help, Laser replacement question.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 04:16:37 AM »
look at the moving machanism clean all the dust etc off the unit and ive had the exact same problem

Offline DARk_ANGEL

• Acidmods Rocks!!!
  • E = MC²
  • Post quality +5/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 10:45:20 AM »
you should buy a new dvd drive and change the whole body of the laser and the laser its self this happened to me and lucky i had a spar drive the same as mine and changed the whole thing and it reads games no problem since

Offline Soularis

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 02:39:33 PM »
well thanks for the info guys, unfortunately i dont have the cash for a whole new drive atm and the spare xbox i have has a philips drive in it.

Ima head home and clean out the drive motor and stuff and hope for the best. 

Offline Soularis

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 02:21:49 PM »
Ok so i cleaned out the drive motor gear and stuff with no luck and got a replacement laser and that didn't seem to work either. it plays music Cd's fine and DVDs seemed to be working but no luck what so ever with the games.

Then after i installed the new laser i put a DVD in there and it work alright for a few mins but then finally began having trouble reading data. and it was kinda weird cause i put my finger on the drive motor and it would read and when i removed it it would stop again.

So i now think it may be an issue with the motor that spins the CD. now i looked at it and i didn't see an obvious way to disassemble it to clean it out. if anyone has an idea for that hit me up.

failing that option I have another xbox with the Hitachi drive in it. I think i read somewhere that as long as you get the ID off your current drive you can put any other xbox drive in there if you replace the ID.

So I have done little modding on my own along these lines and was looking for some confirmation on this and if someone has a link to a site with the most simple way to do this that would be awesome.

and of course if any of you have any other ideas I am all ears and would be very grateful to hear them.

Peace out,
Soularis

Offline Famas

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +1/-8
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 02:59:43 PM »
put the old laser back in and clean it with white spirit or there is one better than white spirit witch evapourates on contact not sure what its called make sure the dvd drive is aliagned straight and not on a angle

Post Merge: February 08, 2011, 03:00:16 PM
and makes sure the dvd drive is level
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 03:00:16 PM by Famas »

Offline DARk_ANGEL

• Acidmods Rocks!!!
  • E = MC²
  • Post quality +5/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 05:28:15 PM »
try to see under the motor that make it spin there will be small screws thats how you remove it

Offline Soularis

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 03:40:56 AM »
yeah i can remove it no problem but i cant open it like i have seen for other 360 drives to clean it.

Offline Anonamous

• The Unknown Identity
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +14/-1
  • Electrical Engineering Student
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 07:42:30 AM »
Ok, before i say this, just let me mention that I know absolutely nothing about this issue and I am just giving my 2 cents.

Since you say you put your finger on it and it started reading again no problem, it leads me to think that there is not enough pressure on it, try tightening the screws you had to remove to switch out the laser and see what happens. Just don't over tighten them.

Offline EasyE

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +2/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 03:38:40 AM »
Yeah some pot calibration is worth a shot sometimes that does help.  You need a multimeter to get the readings right though.  Sometimes a hair turn make a big diff on those things.  If all else fails you can take the drive keys off the one thats giving you a problem and replace it with your hitachi.  Other drives are easier if you can get a hold of something besides the hitachi.  Hitachi drives can be a pain in the a** even if you know what your doing lol.  Good luck

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal