Author Topic: Need Some Help with Re-balling  (Read 2127 times)

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
  • MODDER, REPAIR, CUSTOM IDEAS.
Need Some Help with Re-balling
« on: July 04, 2011, 03:36:13 PM »
I want to learn or teach myself to Re-ball a gpu and cpu for xbox 360 or even the ps3, if I ever end up having to do one of them, I got some time on my hands to fool around and practice doing it. The Re-balling part I think i have under control if I use the right equipment. (soon to purchase).

My main question is how do I go about getting the GPU or CPU off the motherboard being there are so many little smd componets on the back side of the board, (dont want to lose or damage them) I have watched some videos on you tube, but how do I really make sure that I apply enough heat to the GPU and CPU with out damaging anything else on the board? ANY IDEAS will be helpful to me and anyone else who wants to know.

Thanks From Rodent!

And I wont hold anyone resposible, or ACIDMODS if I screw something up. :) while trying

Tracey: I cant believe Rodent of all people made my damn day
3D0: snacks cartoons and naps  lol sounds like rodents typcial day :rofl:
Rodent consoles mods

Offline crashmasher

• Registered BST
  • ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +4/-0
  • Acidmods User
Re: Need Some Help with Re-balling
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 04:39:28 PM »
I was in your same position a little while back. To take the gpu off the board is fairly simple, if your going to do it the junkyard way with a heat gun i would just pre-heat the motherboard and then heat the gpu. The way that I had done it was by using the regular reflow process of heating up the gpu till the solder melts and then letting it cool (leaving out the letting it cool process). once you can see the solder under the gpu melt, give it about 10 seconds more and then pick it up from the edges with tweezers. It comes off fairly easy. as for the resistors and smd's around the gpu, as long as your careful they should not get in the way. Yes im sure that their are different ways of doing this but it worked for me so it might for you as-well.

One thing to be careful of is re-balling. when I first tried it i got it to hot and the smd's on the front side began to pop off from the excess heat ( this is during the process of melting the solder-balls onto the bottom of the gpu) to be careful i would try it on a test gpu first to make sure that you have it down before going for the actual product.

Ive included a picture of the gpu that i have completely destroyed. the first time I tried re-balling the smd's began to pop off, after the third time of just practicing the entire middle piece poped off (and you will hear it)
so my advice is to try a junk 360 board to get it down just in-case. My advice is to keep the heatgun moving!

Hope this helps

.6mm solder balls

Offline crazy-modder

• Research & Development
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +34/-2
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 05:14:43 PM »
Ya, i would suggest practice reballing on a crap motherboard. Ive done quite a few reballs and the temp needs to be a bit hotter than doing using the reflow temps. I take my reflow station up to about 365°F. Cause if its not hot enough and you try to lift the gpu, you will tear traces off the board and then your screwed for good. I definitly would not try a reball process with a regular heat gun. I suggest getting a proper station or even better get the IR station if you have the $. You will need some good flux also. And buy some .6 size solder balls. If you plan on reballing ram then you will need .4 (if i remember correctly)

TOOLS I SUGGEST:

-Proper station (968 or IR) 968 with the #4141 nozzle
-proper flux
-goot wick
-stencil kit and holder
-.6 and .4 solder balls
-LOTS OF PATIENTS!!!!!

Offline crashmasher

• Registered BST
  • ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +4/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 05:27:39 PM »
^^ agreed ^^

I just explained the cheap way,and correct about tearing the pads, it will completely ruin your operation. But if you want a safer more reliable way go with Crazy^

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
  • MODDER, REPAIR, CUSTOM IDEAS.
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 05:48:23 PM »
Thanks guys, its just a idea, but tired of trying to get someone to re-ball it here in MI. Alot of people say they can and will do it , yet none of them want to work lazyasses... thanks will maybe try it after i get what i need in no rush , but thought i would give it a try.

Thanks again.

EDIT: where can I get these solder balls? goot wick?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 07:04:56 PM by Rodent »

Tracey: I cant believe Rodent of all people made my damn day
3D0: snacks cartoons and naps  lol sounds like rodents typcial day :rofl:
Rodent consoles mods

Offline crashmasher

• Registered BST
  • ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +4/-0
  • Acidmods User

Offline hyper999

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +544/-3
  • Research and Development
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 09:07:29 AM »
Thanks guys, its just a idea, but tired of trying to get someone to re-ball it here in MI. Alot of people say they can and will do it , yet none of them want to work lazyasses... thanks will maybe try it after i get what i need in no rush , but thought i would give it a try.

Thanks again.

EDIT: where can I get these solder balls? goot wick?

I don't know but I think crazy means good wick, as in good quality solder wick :)

Offline crazy-modder

• Research & Development
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +34/-2

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal