Author Topic: member groups/permission sets  (Read 6233 times)

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
  • MODDER, REPAIR, CUSTOM IDEAS.
Re: member groups/permission sets
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2011, 04:28:42 PM »
Sweeet deal :p

Tracey: I cant believe Rodent of all people made my damn day
3D0: snacks cartoons and naps  lol sounds like rodents typcial day :rofl:
Rodent consoles mods

Offline Crumbz

• Local Moderator
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +29/-2
  • Networking & Database Administrator
    • www.asagia.net (Coming Soon!)
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2011, 04:43:38 PM »
yeah something like the old FB chat would be awesome!

How about the ability to recieve PM's as txts to your cellphone and the ability to txt back replies to PM's.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 04:44:45 PM by CreativeMindMedias »

Minecraft Server (Online)
Name: Asagia Realm's
Address: mc.asagia.net:65156

Offline robin1989

• Site Owner - Site Maintenance & development
  • Administrator
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +21/-0
  • Site owner
    • Acidmods
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2011, 11:39:27 PM »
yeah something like the old FB chat would be awesome!

How about the ability to recieve PM's as txts to your cellphone and the ability to txt back replies to PM's.

Sms alerts would cost a lot for us with all the backend etc needed. However alerts may. Be something we do if we got round to making ios and android apps for the site.

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2534
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 12:26:38 AM by Mactastic Mendez »

i am not responsible for what i do or my advice

Get the iPhone 4s from Three using Quidco and recieve £109 cashback

Offline Hazer

• x4675636B4E7574
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +59/-0
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2011, 05:07:02 AM »
I would just like to add my 2 cents (even though the decision has already been made):

Post count in order to access files is a really bad idea. If people only want the files, they dont care about the site at all. These leeches are constantly checking the site for updates. If they havent joined the site already, they probably never will. This is the reality of open-source. If you dont have mandatory posts, these people will get what they want (quietly) and leave. But there are others who will stay and (on thier own) become interested in the site because they share the same intersts as the rest of us. These people are the only ones worth recieving posts from. But we also dont want to make them jump thorugh hops either. If there ever was a post requirement, the right people would be put-off and go somewhere else, and the wrong people would flood the board with spam. Whoever said "the admins can handle that" you have no idea how bad this would become. They are already overworked without doubling the amount of posts daily (mostly to now read trash) and then also havethe fun of adjusting accounts. Its a negative effect all around. As a forum user, I dont feel like sifting through all the spam to read threads with good content. If I half the posts in a thread was spammers posting "cool." just to get post-counts, I would be less likely to keep up on whats new on the site. It would drag us all down, all to try to protect something we have all decided was 'free'.

I do agree on requiring starting an account to download files. For the average leech, this is quick and has no effect on the contributing user or the staff. But as mentioned earlier, those that join that share the same interests would be more likely to become contributing users in the future.

One other thing I would like to note: I have seen sites that do this 'post count' crap to get files or whatever. Most poeple go somewhere else before wasting thier time. But someone will post spam and get the files, only to offer it on thier site without the post-count requirement. We dont want that either.
[Quote from Gamermodz via Viking forums]
Don't be jealous your not half as smart. I hate ****tards like you. An ignorant redneck. Your nothing but a posing ******. Get the **** out of here, really, your claim to fame is an open source rapid fire code? You make me laugh. You think you have control over the modding market?  You couldn't create what I can and do. You are too ignorant with your outrageous assumptions and accusations. [/Quote]

Offline MeltedCrayons

• Registered BST
  • Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +7/-0
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2011, 06:33:41 PM »
Having to register on the site is a decent idea; 'guests' should be allowed only to view x amount of threads and after they have viewed the x amount, they will be required to make an account to continue viewing. They also shouldn't be allowed to view signatures, links, or download any type of file attached to a thread.

Offline whitetop

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +39/-12
  • im not in the ass kissing team
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2011, 06:36:32 PM »
Having to register on the site is a decent idea; 'guests' should be allowed only to view x amount of threads and after they have viewed the x amount, they will be required to make an account to continue viewing. They also shouldn't be allowed to view signatures, links, or download any type of file attached to a thread.

i agree on this 100% its just hard to see how much work members have done and then have guests come in and just take giving acidmods no credit so hope they signup.
come to the rite place if you kiss admins as they promote you to admin.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal