Author Topic: Calibrate analog sticks video  (Read 669 times)

Offline ChrisJavier

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Calibrate analog sticks video
« on: December 21, 2020, 01:27:52 PM »
Hello, I've stumbled upon this video on how to calibrate analog stick on reddit. I was wondering what the experts on this site thought about it.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yluzJre9D8&feature=youtu.be

Credit to: u/thesolderking
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 01:34:05 PM by ChrisJavier »

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
Re: Calibrate analog sticks video
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2020, 02:38:24 PM »
That is not calibrating anything at all, it's just another way to match the existing calibration that can not be changed.

It's only adding more POTs in parallel with the existing one, where you can change the value of them, to get the voltage divider value for center to closer match the original calibrated value. It only gets 'rid' of stick drift while it's installed, and saying it does it forever is a stretch since the stick will still wear and get out of spec and need replaced again at some point where again that POT board would also need to be adjusted again.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline wickated

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +0/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2020, 10:07:10 PM »
its not calibration, its just adding hardware settable deadzone instead of actually calibrating.  :rofl:

Offline MCorgano

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2020, 05:40:26 PM »
I'd argue it's pedantics. The end result is the same. When he says calibrate thumbstick drift you know how he means.

I'm curious if you could have a single pot, entirely in parallel with the existing pot, and calibrate it that way. I'm also wondering what this does to stick sensitivity. You could center the DZ but also decrease the overall sensitivity with this setup. Would it be optimal to use highest resistance possible pots or lowest resistance possible to reduce the effects on stick sensitivity?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 05:41:31 PM by MCorgano »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal