Author Topic: JDM-055 Replaced left stick now both aren't working  (Read 708 times)

Offline szczuru

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
JDM-055 Replaced left stick now both aren't working
« on: August 21, 2022, 03:19:46 AM »
Hi, i replaced left stick on JDM-055, but now both stick aren't working. Left stick doesn't respond at all (R3 too). Right stick is set to upper-left and also doesn't respond (L3 too). I tried to desolder this left stick but nothing change. Any help?

Pics:

Offline Eren_Ackerman

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Re: JDM-055 Replaced left stick now both aren't working
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2022, 02:34:57 PM »
I imagine that you used a solder pump to remove the old stick, judging by the surface damage here and there. But for this case that's a good thing: it means you didn't overheat the main chip or any other component near it. The only worrying damage I see is here in the picture:

Both analogs are related somehow to each other, and they get coordinated also somehow (I say somehow because I'm learning on the go; I don't know the specifics). If you have that signal missing, the other analog does crazy things. I also know that L2 and R2 are related to both analogs as well in some models.

Grind the line for that pin where I cropped the picture, then add a lot of solder trying to make sure that you recover the connection. If that works please come back and tell us. If it doesn't work, also come. We want to learn from this, too.

EDIT: Also, remember to press the reset button on the controller to rule that out when you're done soldering.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 02:37:12 PM by Eren_Ackerman »

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2022, 09:08:20 AM »
The plating that is torn up there has opened the 3.2vA rail to both sticks, so neither of them have any power now and would default to going up/left. Repair the spot Eren_Ackerman has circled, or trace it back and solder a jumper wire from the TP spot on that trace to the bottom side of any one of the POTs 3.2v connection and those should start working again.

L3 and R3 are the stick buttons.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline szczuru

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2022, 09:49:46 AM »
It works! I've soldered piece of kynar wire to trace pointed by you and everything seems to work ok :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal