Author Topic: I repaired the RROD!!!  (Read 2790 times)

Offline tibor28

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
I repaired the RROD!!!
« on: June 25, 2008, 11:11:38 AM »
Hi guys,
I just wanted to tell everyone here that you can repair your xbox 360 alone and you dont have to send it to microsoft for repair. I know it has been already discussed but there were some "unbelievers" so I want to make it clear. Maybe you ask why should I void my warranty if I can just send it and have it repaired. Well the problem is that most of the microsoft "repaired" xboxes get the RROD again after only few hours of playing and I think there are many among us that can prove that....
I bought the xbox 360 with RROD off ebay for 90 euros with the wireless controller, power supply, arcade games, AV component cable and all the documents and so. I was quite dissapointed to find out that it was already taken apart numerous times, with all the "clicking things"  on the back of the casing broken off so I had to use the quick "rip apart method" to get the xbox opened :laughing: Worked out very well actually :w00t:
Another dissapointment came when I found out that the xbox was already "repaired" with the X-clamps removed and heatsinks held by screws. At this point i felt like throwing the damn thing to the bin but it turned out that the idiot who tried to repair it used 3 metal washers instead of 2 metal washers and one nylon washer and therefore the heatsinks were a tiny bit above the chips. That explained why the xbox sometimes worked for few minutes if I moved it from vertical to horizontal position and back. The movement of the console probably caused the chips to make a weak connection with the motherboard which was then broken after few minutes because of overheating. I am just guessing here though.
So i just took the complete "fix" off, removed the heatsinks, applied new thermal paste, used the CORRECT setup of washers and there it is. XBOX works like a charm :winker: Already made crash tests where i let it run for few hours and no problems :hifive:

Here is the complette tutorial that you have to follow to repair the RROD:

Hope at least someone bothers to read all of it :laughing:
GOOD LUCK!!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 02:32:03 PM by tibor28 »

Offline Nemesis

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
Re: I repaired the RROD!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 12:16:36 PM »
lol i read it all, thats a pretty good deal, ive been tryna find a deal like you got but theres always just the console alone on ebay, and to add on to that i dont even fully know how to repair rrod although ive read the guides and stuff mainly because i dont even know what stuff is needed to repair rrod and dunno where to get them lol

EDIT: lol just found on ebay kits to repair RROD x-clamp method, might look for a console now hehe
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 12:20:55 PM by Nemesis »

Offline tibor28

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 12:51:06 PM »
lol i read it all, thats a pretty good deal, ive been tryna find a deal like you got but theres always just the console alone on ebay, and to add on to that i dont even fully know how to repair rrod although ive read the guides and stuff mainly because i dont even know what stuff is needed to repair rrod and dunno where to get them lol

EDIT: lol just found on ebay kits to repair RROD x-clamp method, might look for a console now hehe
yeah i know i have been looking for a deal like that for long time, you are right thats its ussualy just the console itself

this is the only stuff you will need, i got everything from ebay :cool::

the kit you found on ebay, make sure there are 8 screws, 8 nylon washers and 16 metal washers
torx8 screw driver (i used it for the torx10 screws and it worked fine but dont buy torx10 coz it wont fit in the torx8 screws)
Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste
Arctic silver thermal material remover (alcohol will work just fine too)
hell of a lot patience coz the thing is a pain to open :laughing:
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 02:33:10 PM by tibor28 »

Offline Ch4rL13

• R4z3R
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • R4z3R Gaming
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 04:11:10 PM »
once i get enough monies this is wut ima going to do =] lol
i dont rly care if its just the console, i'll just go out and buy the cables l8r

Offline tibor28

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 12:36:43 AM »
once i get enough monies this is wut ima going to do =] lol
i dont rly care if its just the console, i'll just go out and buy the cables l8r
thats not really worth it, if you have to buy all the stuff for it it will cost you about the same as a working one :winker:

Offline Ch4rL13

• R4z3R
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • R4z3R Gaming
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 11:20:56 AM »
thats not really worth it, if you have to buy all the stuff for it it will cost you about the same as a working one :winker:
:censored: !!!!!
i didnt know the power supply was like 50 bucks, omg :boxed:

EDIT: ebay lol, i can get a power supply for bout 30, tv cables are cheap, and a controller for 20, so 100 bucks total (including 50 dollor xbox)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 11:26:17 AM by Talos »

Offline carlos666

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
my box
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 04:39:13 PM »
dude!!!! i threw the Xbox to the trash can.... i only got the DVD driver and the hard drive. man im really pissed at myself now  :drunk:
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 05:10:41 PM by pspkicks316 »

Offline tibor28

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
Re: my box
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008, 02:15:15 AM »
dude!!!! i threw the Xbox to the trash can.... i only got the DVD driver and the hard drive. man im really pissed at myself now  :drunk:
man what a waste, you could have at least sold it on ebay for 50 bucks or more

Offline Blazinkaos

• Technology Revolution
  • Art & Theme Team
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +12/-0
  • Time Passes Will You
    • ROOKIE BUILDERS DISCORD
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 07:37:59 PM »
dude u can fix the red ring of death for like 15 bucks or even more less then that i done it...u dnt need to buy a kit all..

*Thanks Modders/Friends:Ghost_Death, gr8npwrfl, Blizzrad, Kenshinffx.
*Thanks 802Chives for the Art position!

Offline IDontGetHowtoWire

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2008, 07:13:54 AM »
Excellent.

Offline Blazinkaos

• Technology Revolution
  • Art & Theme Team
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +12/-0
  • Time Passes Will You
    • ROOKIE BUILDERS DISCORD
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2008, 10:26:51 PM »
yea so just look up the stuff u need and u get the screws and the nylone washers at lowes and the thermal paste at bestbuy..

*Thanks Modders/Friends:Ghost_Death, gr8npwrfl, Blizzrad, Kenshinffx.
*Thanks 802Chives for the Art position!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal