Author Topic: Retro Gamers?  (Read 6078 times)

Offline IndyChav

• Original.
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +2/-0

Retro Gamers?
« on: January 29, 2008, 01:09:29 PM »
How many of you here on acidmods would consider yourself "retro gamers"

I for one believe I am, nothign better than bringing out one of the classics for a game of classic mario or sonic   :tup:

Offline bacteria

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Games Console System Modder
    • Bacteria's site
Re: Retro Gamers?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 03:40:50 PM »
Yup, me. I am 41 (soon 42), started gaming in 1975/76 with Pong. Then moved to Atari 2600 and Intellivision (Dad got them when they first came out), Vectrex; then more recently MegaDrive and N64. I used to push lots of money into arcade machines (Galaga, 1942, etc) in the mid '80's.

Offline Timmy

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 01:17:56 AM »
Rock on for the retro gamers  :psp:

when i had a psp i played SNES and Genesis and Arcade games more then normal games :P

Still the same on my ds :D

And i still play my N64 every day on the console and my laptop

BTW: I own all the games i play the roms for on other systems  :winker: Dedication biartches

Offline bacteria

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • Bacteria's site
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 01:28:09 AM »
TimmyDX - It doesn't matter if you own the game cart, you can't have a ROM image of it technically. This joins the multitude of copyright infringements which are nuts and make almost everyone in the developed world in breach of copyright in one form or another (even humming a tune, singing a song or quoting what someone wrote or said breaches copyright and/or broadcast laws, making a copy, etc). If you can't live in a modern world without breaching copyright, then don't worry about technical breaches as long as you are only using it for your own purposes, don't share with others, don't sell or give items away or seek profit from using them.

Offline IndyChav

• Original.
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +2/-0

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 02:15:12 AM »
I disagree if youi own the game then you ARE allowed to create a backup, you bought all priviledges for that game from its creator as soon as you bought it for personal use.

Copyright infringement only occurs when you reproduce in order to redistribute.

Offline bacteria

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • Bacteria's site
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 06:58:32 AM »
IndyChav - I agree with you that that is the common perception and it makes sense, however (talking from a UK point of rule, we are both UK) you can make a copy of something provided it is of the same format, complete with all original data, and for your own personal use; however to have a ROM on your computer for example is a different format to the original (cartridge vs file), and hardware/software was used to circumvent the original protections by someone - oh, I know, it is a very complex subject and annoys me lots; but when you buy entertainment (film, music, games, etc) you do not buy any priviledges at all and you never actually "bought" it, you basically just have the right to use it only, and only watch it yourself (otherwise you get into copyright "broadcasting" areas). I despise the way entertainment companies have in effect made everyone a potential criminal when unjustified. Copyright is not only when you "reproduce in order to redistribute", far from it, it exists to prevent personal copying too - for example, if you buy a music CD, you can't make a copy for your car and bedroom CD player and MP3 player - technically you have to buy a copy of the music CD for EACH player/system/format you intend to use or you breach copyright. Same with MS software and operating systems, etc. Silly, huh?

I am no example, I have a good collection (doesn't everyone?). I personally take the view that old games which are no longer being distributed are fine to have copies of, from whatever way you can, as no-one makes any loss by you having them; as they are no longer distributed the author, publisher, etc are no longer interested and have no further financial interests, so it doesn't matter if you have a copy of an old games console lying about. After all, you can buy old N64 game carts for about £2-£4 from places like GameStation or e-bay, no-one makes profit on these - even games stores with old N64 carts are landfilling old unsold games.

I have over 80 N64 carts, I have many of their ROMs too, although I don't use them as I prefer to play from a cart - 100% as intended!

Offline MattZani

• Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Matthew Dear
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 09:38:44 AM »
Most games that came out before 1991's copyrights have expired now anyway.
Retired Modder, minor dabbling from now on :P

Offline whitetop

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +39/-12
  • im not in the ass kissing team
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 05:10:20 PM »
well im not being bad but we on this site are braking copyright laws operning and modding stuff messing with the stuff is braking the law so if your botherd dont do anything not even move cos youll brake copyrights
come to the rite place if you kiss admins as they promote you to admin.

Offline Canadajames

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 07:22:02 PM »
companies dont have copyrights on opening stuff up. its usually some other law if there is one at all usually its just some agreement which non one bothers to read.

Ken i wouldnt have done it any other way
https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=15400.0

Offline MattZani

• Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Matthew Dear
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2008, 11:58:35 PM »
I Play quite abit of NES and Megadrive, but theyre packed away ATM until i get another CRT Tv.
Retired Modder, minor dabbling from now on :P

Offline IndyChav

• Original.
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +2/-0

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2008, 08:32:25 AM »
Bacteria: Yes i suppose I see your point of view, however when I was running a sort of retail type business a year or two back I bought, in bulk, a wide variety of things from different suppliers, sometime direct from the manufacturers themselves.

Stated in the rules/laws, I forget which, when buying a product from a supplier you also buy the right to sell it on, one of the business laws, otherwise places like pcworld, argos e3tc wouldnt be able to sell any of their products as most if not all are from external manufacturers.

That was the only time i ever looked up such laws/ rules so I don't understand why it shouldn't stand for normal "non-business" owners to do the same. I have never seen that you are not allowed to have the original content in another format and for that to be illegal.

For example: iTunes converts the music from CD's to their own format. By what you are saying that wouldn't be allowed. Whuch of course I disagree with as it is done as I have proven.

Hence back to my original argument, If you own the producty for personal use you can duplicate the product for personal use, redistributing would be against the law as it is copyrighted, however as MattZanni pointed out most copyrights, for games ets that are used as roms, have expired.

Therefore it is quite suitable for you to duplicate your own purchases for personal use.

Back on topic: I need to get a new badAss TV that i can plug EVERYTHING in to, that would be proper wicked like!

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2008, 02:59:04 PM »
Heh that would pwn, a system that can play everthing ever made all the way to liek the ps1 and the n64 and the GBA, I would buy it! :D, but enough nonsense from me lol. If you mean retro like the classic SNES RPGs and ps1 games, then call me a retro gamer becaues that's all I loved and played back then, and I still do now :D. Currently playing FF9 again, and gonna beat antholigy (is that how you say it) soon.  Hopefully I'll find a way to replay chrono trigger and gaia (forgot the rest of the name but its snes rpg game) all over again, because my snes emu is acting weird on my DS.
Proud to be a: -Yugioh Player -ITG/DDR/PIU Player -Furry Fanatic - Knife Thrower -All around awesome guy :D

Offline IndyChav

• Original.
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +2/-0

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2008, 03:38:11 PM »
hmm you give me an idea.... sorta :P ...... get a big ass cabinet put all your consoles in there and popping out the top would have the extended cartridge slots and new cd drives teh kind the mac has that jsut slide in if you get my drift ....

Have a switch next to each and they all go into a scart type idea but the switch you put next to each overrides them to give you one picture...

Have all consoles with wireless controllers that have a docking station to charge while you sleep or play one of the others ....

Make the case glass make it pretty slap in a sound system with sound reactive lights ..... a few dozen fans ...hmmm?

Seikene lets do this shizz XD

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2008, 03:52:28 PM »
Hell yeahz! Hold on! *grabs a cosmopolitan* whooo let's go for it, we can do it, we wouldn't even need multiple controllers, get like 4 ps1 controllers, 4 n64 controllers, and 4 USB based controllers, that way we can play ps1, n64, and anythign else using USB controllers. The cartridges would be hard to fit inside a small box, so I rahter propose making a type of emulator for it, of course being as legal as possible :P
Proud to be a: -Yugioh Player -ITG/DDR/PIU Player -Furry Fanatic - Knife Thrower -All around awesome guy :D

Offline bacteria

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • Bacteria's site
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2008, 12:36:55 AM »
If you want something that can play old consoles and their games, you are taking about a Windows PC with a stack of emulators. You could easily attach a MAME style control pad complete with joystick and make a cabinet - job done.

If you want to make a system using original consoles and their carts, etc; then that is also fine, although it would be very large and wiring would be a nightmare to debug (trust me), especially as some controllers like the N64 will short against others and stop the system working (I had this on my Nintendo 64 Advance, and had to custom make button circuits to rectify this). One option is to do what I AM doing on my forthcoming project - a system using one PSone screen and all controls, speakers etc in one half and a bolt-on which fits over the back of the screen and contains a console system modded as needed with memory card, controller, system mobo, cart relocation, etc - using a universal connector so each console system is interchangeable and the resultant system is portable (using Li-ions) or mains powered. I know I can do this and keep it fairly slim; and I have all the components for the first major part of the project in preparation. I have discussed some principles in Forum 42 in BenHeck as "Bacteria's next project". This project is not a pipe dream but will be reality - and a complex project. I am just finishing my current GP2x mod first before I start it.

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2008, 03:54:37 PM »
Well I'd perfer the emulator idea, but I would like to hav a completly different mobo just made to have the emulators. When turned on, the screen would boot the menu up to have the emu consoles and options. It would either have removable memory, or a usb cable to transfer data. The console would hopefully between the size of a ps1 to an xbox. It would be practically impossible to fit EVERY cart AND EVERY controller port in there, so I would want to get 12 ports, 4 ps1, 4 n64, and 4 USB ports. Or else just 4 USB ports and just mod all my controllers to read usb :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal