Author Topic: Ghost shells review  (Read 11442 times)

Offline rocky

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
Ghost shells review
« on: December 04, 2007, 07:21:40 PM »
This is my review of the ghost shells for the ds lite I ordered them from Totalconsole.com shipping was very fast I think it was 3 days.  Total we got 7 shells, I got 2 a green and a clear and my brother got green, black, pink, clear, and green.  Our first shipment they messed up the shipping and forgot to send us the black but we told them and they got on it and sent us the black the next day.

Packaging
The shells come in a nice blister package it looks very professional.  But the clear came in a cardboard box which is alright but I believe they will come in blister packages in there next shipment.

Product
The first thing I thought to myself when I looked at these shells is wow these are clear.  they dont seam to have any injection marks unlike the shock shells. 

Maybe I am just use to the shock shell looking so dark and unclear but I dont know they are really clear.

The color on these shells are awesome the green just glows at you and the hinge doesn't feel like its going to break either

The tri-wing that comes with it also fits the screws very nice.
I did run into a few problems while putting the case together though, like I had to cut the power switch hole a little bigger and the led filter hole.  But other than that the case is awesome.
The Leds go through the case really good but even better on the clear

One more thing I noticed is that they  like shock added the 9 holes for speakers instead of 6 like Nintendo

ratings

Shipping: 9/10 because they forgot one of my shells but otherwise it would be 10
Quality: 9/10
Color: 10/10
Price: 9/10 very cheap
Overall: 9/10  Because of the few things I had to cut out

If you want to see more pictures heres a slide show of all of them
http://img372.imageshack.us/slideshow/player.php?id=img372/8564/1196821288b9u.smil

Offline Timmy

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User
Re: Ghost shells review
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 07:41:55 PM »
i just bought a black one cos someone stepped on part of my clear one

nice review :D

Offline MattZani

• Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Matthew Dear
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 12:15:17 AM »
Do they come with a GBA Cover?
Retired Modder, minor dabbling from now on :P

Offline rocky

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 05:15:56 AM »
it comes with the ouside part but not the inside

Offline MARIOPARTY53

• I DONT FAIL
  • BANNED
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pc Gaming Rules
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 02:57:30 PM »
WOW! nice! but in the slideshow, I saw A blue shell...is that shock or ghost? but still nice!! I wish you had the smoke black one, thats the one I want and green :P
However today I was brutally raped by a door handle, and none of my friends helped me up off the floor after ten minutes, instead they all teabaged me, all 10 of them...

Offline Joboman

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 06:07:52 PM »
looks great, my clear one is coming in a couple days! can't wait. also could you show me where you had to cut? im afraid i might run into some problems and break something

Offline rocky

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 10:59:56 PM »
WOW! nice! but in the slideshow, I saw A blue shell...is that shock or ghost? but still nice!! I wish you had the smoke black one, thats the one I want and green :P

That was the blue shell I didnt get it in the pictures because my brother was installing it on his ds when I took them but heres the picture

also could you show me where you had to cut? im afraid i might run into some problems and break something

well I just remembered that you need to cut the led filter you need to cut a hole going up so the it will fit.  There just minor problems if you cant figure it out just look at your stock one

Offline Calamityx1

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 05:05:53 PM »
Hey guys, I recently bought the Blue Ghost shell and now I have a problem. I successfully put the thing together, once I turned it on, the bottom screen lighted up, but the top screen didn't. So I opened it up again, fidgeted with the ribbon wire connecting the top screen with the motherboard, and got it to wor on several occasions, but most time I had to press down on the part that connected the wire together with the motherboard. Please help.

Offline rocky

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007, 10:11:33 PM »
Heres a picture of the smoke, this is my brothers and he decided not to use the smoke color buttons and just stick with white.

Calamityx1 make sure your ribbon is in all the way sometimes its hard to do, its also possible you broke a part of the wire causing it to work when you bend it at a certain angle

Offline wolfo03

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • I'm you. Just a little.... Bizarre.
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2007, 02:32:08 AM »
:censored: yes keep 'em commin'.

Offline Joboman

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2007, 07:31:14 PM »
just finished installing mine. there were some alignment problems but i guess it's alright. my buttons are a bit stickier now though and my R button really sucks -_- will open it up again when my LEDs arrive and try to fix some stuff

Offline wolfo03

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • I'm you. Just a little.... Bizarre.
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2007, 07:34:26 PM »
good to know that there not perfect!i was going to mix and match pieces of the regular ds lite case with the chrome shell.

Offline General Vergel

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • Myspace
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2007, 08:23:58 PM »
those look awesome!  :tup: my dslite is still in peices cuz i need a new lcd screen and another shoulder spring, but ill have it complete with the clear ghost shell i ordered!

Offline Calamityx1

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2007, 01:37:40 AM »
those look awesome!  :tup: my dslite is still in peices cuz i need a new lcd screen and another shoulder spring, but ill have it complete with the clear ghost shell i ordered!
You can order LCD screens? If so, how? I think I need one myself... a top one anyway.

Offline MattZani

• Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Matthew Dear
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2007, 04:01:46 AM »
If anyone in the UK Wants this done, PM Me.

I really wanna try this, but dont have the money to buy a DS Lite, so i would do it for cheap on someone elses!
Retired Modder, minor dabbling from now on :P

Offline General Vergel

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • Myspace
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2007, 11:31:24 AM »
You can order LCD screens? If so, how? I think I need one myself... a top one anyway.

Ebay is your friend. Also, just google something like "nintendo ds lite parts" and im sure you'll find a site that just sells parts

Offline rocky

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2007, 11:59:04 AM »
Well heres a picture of them all next to each other

And for screens I get mine from dealextreme.com

Offline MARIOPARTY53

• I DONT FAIL
  • BANNED
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pc Gaming Rules
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2007, 12:01:41 PM »
Well heres a picture of them all next to each other

dang dude, you got a lot of ds's

but yeah I think I am going to get the smoke black
However today I was brutally raped by a door handle, and none of my friends helped me up off the floor after ten minutes, instead they all teabaged me, all 10 of them...

Offline Calamityx1

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2007, 03:50:16 AM »
Rocky, you wouldn't happen to have any broken black DSes you would like to sell, would? I wasn't too careful with the ribbon wire for the top screen of my DS, and now I'm trying desperately to replace it.

Offline MARIOPARTY53

• I DONT FAIL
  • BANNED
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pc Gaming Rules
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2007, 06:38:17 AM »
Rocky, you wouldn't happen to have any broken black DSes you would like to sell, would? I wasn't too careful with the ribbon wire for the top screen of my DS, and now I'm trying desperately to replace it.
its hard to break the top ribbon, try to put it in tall the way, cuz I thought on my first Ds lite swap, that i broke the top screen, but I didnt  :faint: so yeah try to put the ribbon all the way in

Offline Joboman

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2007, 07:20:06 PM »
my experience with ghosts shells weren't as great..

Shipping: 9/10
Quality: 6/10
Color: 9/10
Price: 7/10
Overall: 7/10

i didn't think the price was overly cheap.. it was alright.. just cheap enough so that i'd buy it, shipping was fine, just a day later than they said it would arrive. nothing wrong with colour either.  the quality.. honestly isn't all that great, some parts crack pretty easily, and there were definitely some alignment problems with the hinge/LED part and other places as well.  Ended up cracking the top part of the bottom half of the ds.  I kept the inside of the ds light blue and the outside parts clear, also used the see-through buttons except shoulder buttons.  shoulder buttons are kind of wonky.  oh yeah, my case came with 2 volume switches and no power switch.. which was annoying.

Offline rocky

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2007, 05:14:27 PM »
Yeah I found a few problems too but I was mainly comparing it to the shock shells.  I did notice a few cracks are now forming around different parts of it like on the right of the A button and left of the D pad but they seem to hold together still. 

Offline TheMagnolia

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • Sleepywood.net
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2007, 10:20:08 AM »
Shipping: 9/10
>> Originally they planned to charge me $25.00 for shipping frm teh US to Canada but I made them send it by regular post for $5.00

Quality: 4/10
>> Screwdriver was the wrong size, also it was scratched in the package and the two halves didn't match up

Color: 9/10
>> Mine was clear

Price: 10/10
>> Good price, no complaints there

Overall: 4/10
>> Overall I'd give it a 4 if it had actually fit properly I would rate it higher

I have my own experiences, part of mine is that my kit didn't fit properly.  The screwdriver was too large to take apart my NDSL, the case was scratched the moment I got it and I examined it.  Right now I'm talking to the seller and asking to have it exchanged.  Call me a lazy person but I like to do as little work on the shells as possible.

Offline Timmy

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2007, 02:33:38 AM »
so what your saying is those 5 above rocky has installed perfectly, are complete flukes

5 consecutive lucky shots....

Offline TheMagnolia

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • Sleepywood.net
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2007, 12:57:34 PM »
No I'm saying that MINE is a  complete fluke.

This is the first case I've ever received and it doesn't fit.  I guess it's just the luck of the draw.  End of story. 

Offline rocky

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2007, 07:52:38 AM »
No I'm saying that MINE is a  complete fluke.

This is the first case I've ever received and it doesn't fit.  I guess it's just the luck of the draw.  End of story. 

It is very possible you could have gotten a bad one.  I  noticed that on mine every one was different some had excess plastic cover screw holes and some had power led filter problems and switch hole problems but they were all very easy fixes.  So there has to be some out there that have more severe problems than I had

Offline TheMagnolia

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • Sleepywood.net
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2007, 01:14:48 PM »
I'm making it work somehow, the GBA cover is slightly too big for my hybrid white and clear DS.  Also there's too much plastic and it doesn't screw into the bottom half properly.  For that I melted off the excess plastic with my soldering iron and sanded it down. 

Offline jair2k4

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Oh Noes!
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2007, 09:00:25 AM »
Whoo! I got my clear case coming this week!

@Rocky:

Where it pertains to led's..... standard smd 0603's just like in a psp? Or can I get away with using something bigger?

@everyone in the DS section of AM:  Sorry for the noobish questions. I do my research before I do a mod, less chance of effing up the job.

Offline rocky

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2007, 07:24:26 PM »
Whoo! I got my clear case coming this week!

@Rocky:

Where it pertains to led's..... standard smd 0603's just like in a psp? Or can I get away with using something bigger?

@everyone in the DS section of AM:  Sorry for the noobish questions. I do my research before I do a mod, less chance of effing up the job.

Yeah just use 0603  It might be possible to use bigger but im not sure and it might not fit.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal