Author Topic: Improved wifi with tut but not too many pics, reading impaired WARNING :D  (Read 2560 times)

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
Alright, since seeing practically the maker of the ds wifi mod (aj productions), I decided to see if there's anyway to remake this mod and improve it at the same time. What came to mind?:
My first try was simple, and basically the same as Aj's, w/o having to make it come out of the ds, to make it still look like a ds lite. I basically soldered the wire, brought it to the bottom and spun like a number of times around the wifi bios chip. It gave me added range, but not much, and my ds would sometimes have trouble closing itself, plus, it would be a pain in the arse to take my ds apart, knowing that I either have to unwind it or cut the cable and re-solder it.
My 2nd try which was something I had to think for straight hours and feels like an answer that was outside the box. Instead of wrapping it in some other location, why not wrap it around the black wifi cable itself? Basically, I soldered the same way, then, I just simply starting wrapping the cable slowly around the black cable. After some spins, I would push the wrapped wire done so that they stayed aligned and to get more space out of it. I tried my hardest to fit it under the cart, and it dint have a problem. What's even better about it, is that it's a bit less flexible, yet feels alot more durable, and knowing that a broken hinge can cut this cable very easy, it'll add some durability to the cable.

Here are some pics, although my camera sucks major arse:

I wanted to try new mods on a clear case and try to input my logo, so I put a small flaming scythe on the wifi board itself :D

(If you can't see it too well, the right side of the cable is wrapped and the left side is the black cable bare.)

Hopefully you can make a clear idea of the mod from looking at this camera, if you can;t, then I'm smashing my camera, no pressure ^_^.
Here's the basic, made with photoshop, idea of it ;)

At this point, at least 95% of the members reading this should get the idea after seeing these 4 pics, if not, then my computer is going to burning man, as the effigy :D, no pressure once again

Before anything, goto your wifi options through any game, and find your nearest access point, start taking steps back if you pick it up (go outside if you have to), and find out at which point does your ds stop picking up your signal, take a mental note or mark it somewhere, you'll need it for latah D:
-I'd probably make a tut, but you're better off just following the original one that just mentions you opening your ds all the way until you reach the top part 
-From there, you remove the wifi board. Get some flux ready, and get your cable ready ( I heard magnet is the best but don't quote me on that. Kynar works if that's all you have.)
-Solder it to the 2 points on the board, and try to keep the black bare cable in the same place. If the cable somehow isnt going to the wifiboard, YOUR RANGE WILL BE CUT BY ABOUT 2/3. So I won't stress this enough, keep it in the same 2 places, and solder the extra cable next to it. As soon as you do that, start wrapping the wire around the black cable.
-If you wrap it and the spacing between each spin is different, then just push the cable down towards the board, it will remove all the spacing and give you more room to keep wrapping, but make sure you try not to wrap the entire thing in cable.
-I had to cut my cable a little bit but the cable was barely able to reach the bios chip. Although yours should be able to, it might have some trouble since it'll be bigger and less flexible, so try to see how much cable you can spin before you need to stop to prevent trouble when reconnecting the black wire.
-Once you place the wifi board back in the top shell and you have the wifi cable already through the hinge, try to guide it back under the cart as you would when you're reassembling a DS.
-IMPORTANT: Remember that note I told yah :D, now I suggest re-testing your ds. Yes you can still turn it on even if it's open, but be careful, as you can short your ds if you have 2 of the wrong pieces touching. Basically have the battery held together by your hands in the terminals. Bring one of the rubbers used to press the buttons. Now turn it on (of course you must have the ribbon cables, and the bios chip set in place to make the DS turn on w/o any flashing), goto your wifi configuration, and try to find your access point from like 10 feet away. If it didn't find it, re-open your ds and see if you soldered it right, if not, re-solder it, or check the cable and see if it came off. If it did, then it means you soldered it right, but hopefully from doing this you can get a good range, and I don't mean like 5 feet morethen what you use to have, usually the avg range is like 20-30 ft between 2 ds's in multiplayer, and anywhere from 10-25 feet. Goto the spot that you recorded, if your ds didn't pick it up, then recheck, if it still didnt, you're going to have to get back on your DS and resolder it correctly, if it did, keep taking some steps back, usually it would show 3 bars from the spot you recorded with the mod, and it would add like 20 feet, my max range ( as well as Aj's) was about 80ft. Of course this only affects the range, not the speed :P. If you can pick up at least 20 feet farther, then the mod worked :D :D :D

-If everything worked, close it back together, make sure you didn't forget anything (triggers, springs, buttons, yeah I forget often).

Enjoy the extended range, mabey you can do a wifi range contest and earn some money on the side XD j/k

Oh yeah and just to be sure, if you somehow break you're ds while doing this, then don't come crying to me. Jokes aside, but modding is a risky business, the least you risk is your warranty voiding, the most that can happen is your ds breaking COMPLETLY AND YOUR WARRANTY VOIDS ON YOU. So remember, I'm open to questions, suggestions, you can even ask for advice just in case my instructions didn't mention something specific, but I'm not open to random spam and ranting over someone making this b4 me, because I doubt it and if you made it, then why didn't you post it :P. The only one who I call the originator of this mod is AJ, you can find his video through youtube, just type in wifi Aj. AM couldn't be the first to call this their mod, but that doesn't mean we can't call the improvement of this mod something that we made.

Basically what we are saying is,
Acidmods and myself cannot be held responsible for any problems you may have when attampting this mod. <--What they say, Quoted from Indy]
Don't blame me for your DS if it breaks, you took the responsibility once you opened it and decided to do this mod. AM is neither responsible, so don't go crying to them, the only difference between them an me for this is that they will tell you it ain't their problem, I will say it then whip out my ring hand., if I get any buts :P.[<--what I say :D

I credit Aj Productions for making the real Wifi extended mod, Indy for the random but funny chat, Edhel for reminding me bout the wifi mod :D, and that's about it, oh and AM and most of it's members for being plain smexy :D
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 07:21:20 AM by IndyChav »
Proud to be a: -Yugioh Player -ITG/DDR/PIU Player -Furry Fanatic - Knife Thrower -All around awesome guy :D

Offline decy90

• Chaos Lover
  • Post quality +0/-0
Re: Improved wifi with tut but not too many pics, reading impaired WARNING :D
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 09:06:09 AM »
simple.. yet effective i like it lol but damn those pics are crappy :D

Offline ryan0

• I EAT STUFF
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • I LIEK CHEEEEZE
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 12:11:43 PM »
nice one seik
Derp.

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 03:03:43 PM »
Thank ya mate, but I meh if you can't seem to remember, I guess it was a nobody, so don't worry :D

Edit- Bleh I meant nobody, not A nobody ;)
Proud to be a: -Yugioh Player -ITG/DDR/PIU Player -Furry Fanatic - Knife Thrower -All around awesome guy :D

Offline MARIOPARTY53

• I DONT FAIL
  • BANNED
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pc Gaming Rules
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 03:11:47 PM »
Thank ya mate, but I meh if you can't seem to remember, I guess it was a nobody, so don't worry :D

Edit- Bleh I meant nobody, not A nobody ;)
I did it, how far does yours go? I forgot how far mine went I will test it again latter
However today I was brutally raped by a door handle, and none of my friends helped me up off the floor after ten minutes, instead they all teabaged me, all 10 of them...

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 03:26:53 PM »
Last I checked about 95 feet, but since my mobo for the clear ds effed up I haven't checked since. I might try another mod on my phat that will use a radio antenna, and another that uses a coil of copper, like on those radios.

Offline MARIOPARTY53

• I DONT FAIL
  • BANNED
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pc Gaming Rules
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 03:37:55 PM »
Last I checked about 95 feet, but since my mobo for the clear ds effed up I haven't checked since. I might try another mod on my phat that will use a radio antenna, and another that uses a coil of copper, like on those radios.
hm, I just got done checking mine was 75-80 feet

So yeah yours is farther about 15 feet
However today I was brutally raped by a door handle, and none of my friends helped me up off the floor after ten minutes, instead they all teabaged me, all 10 of them...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal