Author Topic: fixing my ds  (Read 6710 times)

Offline YMON

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
fixing my ds
« on: February 22, 2008, 08:52:28 AM »
im thinking of fixing my broken ds lite its touch screen is broken (just the senseing part) i think its just a loose connector but im not sure and im afraid of wrecking it more

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
Re: fixing my ds
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 02:21:21 PM »
Trust me, mate. I've fixed a few Ds's now, and the touch screen replacement is so easy. Just trust yourself, go slow, buy yourself a touch screen from Ebay or any other area that sells them. Open your DS with a Tri-gram screwdriver, take the mobo out with the phillips screwdriver, remove all cables before hand to be safe. If the connection is loose, then put it back in. If it's ripped or beyond repair, then you have to remove a part of the screen, like all the way down to the first hard plastic screen. The way to know is by seeing the touch screen you bought and seeing which layers you need to remove. After placing it in the right way, set it back slowly and put everything together, and your done :D.
Proud to be a: -Yugioh Player -ITG/DDR/PIU Player -Furry Fanatic - Knife Thrower -All around awesome guy :D

Offline YMON

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 02:07:35 AM »
i have a tri-wing and i just remembered my screw for my battery cover is stripped... uh oh...

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 12:47:22 PM »
Ouch mate. Your best bet is to try to drill the screw. But of course being careful as you don't drill your battery and either:
A:Get a shock out of it
B: (Of course, this is me thinking it's a dry-cell) Get a bunch of juices flowing out of it that can either burn you or short your DS

Just get the smallest drill you can find, one at least 3/4 the size of the screw, and drill slowly. After every few spins, grab your x-acto knife and try to pry the cover out.
Proud to be a: -Yugioh Player -ITG/DDR/PIU Player -Furry Fanatic - Knife Thrower -All around awesome guy :D

Offline YMON

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 07:45:28 PM »
Ouch mate. Your best bet is to try to drill the screw. But of course being careful as you don't drill your battery and either:
A:Get a shock out of it
B: (Of course, this is me thinking it's a dry-cell) Get a bunch of juices flowing out of it that can either burn you or short your DS

Just get the smallest drill you can find, one at least 3/4 the size of the screw, and drill slowly. After every few spins, grab your x-acto knife and try to pry the cover out.
is there any other way?

Offline tanoz

• Chaos Lover
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 12:43:03 AM »
try putting super glue onto the tip of ur screw driver than quickly press it against the screw.
if you have a spare battery cover than maybe snapping/melting it off
Lots of gaming stuff but too lazy to mention =]

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 12:13:06 PM »
You're better off just prying the thing loose if you can't remove it through the above methods. Better a messed up battery door then a forever broken DS. :O

Offline YMON

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 02:15:33 PM »
hey well what do ya know it was the screwdriver that was stripped its open now
!

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 02:25:17 PM »
Awesome :P, hope you can mod that ds, or at least fix it :P

Offline decy90

• Chaos Lover
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2008, 03:01:36 PM »
remember dude if you need any help with it in any extra detail message me or seikene lol :P

ps first ds section post since i got back.. lol i think

Offline YMON

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2008, 03:30:16 PM »
yeah i got the touch screen off now what where are some places to buy them? what is the normal price so i dont get ripped off?

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2008, 03:31:29 PM »
Well they are very cheap, but shipping will probably cost the same as the item itself, if not more. Try Ebay, there are loads of companys who sell them, can't say much on their quality with touch screens, but I wouldn't worry about it.

Offline YMON

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2008, 04:28:00 PM »
 :cry2: my ds is now really broken it fell off the desk while i was working on it and the ribbon for the top screen ripped!  :cry2: :cry2:

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2008, 04:42:07 PM »
Ohhhh....ouch mate, well no real worry. You can still get it fixed, but now you have to add a top screen to your list. To be sure, before you buy a top screen, turn the DS on, with the battery connected. If the bottom screen flashes and the light turns on for a sec, then it still works, it's just telling you that the ds has no top screen connected. The only real problem about this now is that you have to open your ds completely, rather then just going to the touch screen on the bottom of the ds in the motherboard.

Offline YMON

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2008, 04:46:59 PM »
it seems like that ribbon also powers the speakers...
somebody please answer also the power button wont work help!!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 06:15:36 PM by YMON »

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2008, 08:46:14 PM »
Wtf? Well yeah that's true, mainly you can't turn the DS on because in order to have the thing working, the top screen, bottom screen, and wifi bios chip has to be connected. Of course if 1 of them aren't connected, then you'll notice how the DS will function. If the top or bottom screen is removed, then the ds will turn its LED on for a second, and whichever screen is connected will flash for a second. If the Wifi bios is removed, then the LED should light on differently, and neither screen flashes. If a fuse has blown, then NOTHING will work, basically the screens won't flash, the lights wont turn on or off. If you have a multimeter, then you will have to see which fuse you blew. Turn your ds on, and see if whatever I said up there applies to yah. It should most likely turn on for asecond, then the bottom screen flashes and then turns off. If something else happens, then mention it here and the AM community will try it's best (inlcuding me) to help yah out.

Offline YMON

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2008, 04:29:47 AM »
the power switch is off its track so i cant turn it on

Offline decy90

• Chaos Lover
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2008, 11:51:29 AM »
your not having much luck mate... try finding a working motherboard online and get that... it could be alot easier and quicker than buying new top/bottom screens and all the supplies that you would need to fix the power switch such as soldering iron etc... i wrecked my bottom screen so i just bought a new motherboard lol :D hope i helped

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2008, 11:55:47 AM »
Hmm alright here's a temp fix, you can make it a permanent fix if you want though. Grab a tactile switch (one with like a button to push), and solder 2 wires. If it has 2 pins, then one on each one, if it has 4, then 2 across each other, not next to each other. Usually the opposite ends are across each other, but a multimeter (or trial and error) can fix that. Basically you solder one wire to the pwsw pin on the board. I'll try to find a pic that has a zoomed view of it. Basically solder one there, and solder the other to any of the pins that the power switch it connected to. If done right, when you push the button, it will turn on/off.

Nah Decy I've had all of those problems happen to me, but not all at once, and they all can be fixed, it's better then buying a new mobo if it's only those issues. Just follow what I said and you should be able to fix the power switch problem, FOR NOW of course. If you decide to use it for good, then just find a spot that will fix it, I used the top corner of the top shell of the ds, but you choose a spot. If you don't, then you will have to add power switch to your list of fixes :P, and beleive me, removing that thing is a pain in the arse.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 11:57:36 AM by seikene »

Offline Tyler-G

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Im not cool
    • Tylergeek
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2008, 12:20:15 PM »
Honestly, Iv fixed my bottom screen before, not that hard, so mabye your just better off getting one with a broken bottom screen on bottom of ebay acourse and then selling your broken one, but thats just me, hopefully you will get everything worked out without busting your wallet, sorry too hear your dsl trubble  :cry2:

Offline YMON

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2008, 02:56:06 PM »
could anybody with experiance with ds lites tell me how to put the power switch back on?

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2008, 03:45:58 PM »
Dude, if that's been broken, then you're pretty boned on that. Best thing is to do what I did, or order a new power switch, and remove that one, Edhel is selling one if you are interested.

Offline YMON

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2008, 04:00:02 PM »
actually it broke somehow when it was apart i dont think its plastic that works the switch

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2008, 04:19:50 PM »
Then yeah, there's no other way to fix it unless you replace it.

Offline MARIOPARTY53

• I DONT FAIL
  • BANNED
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pc Gaming Rules
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2008, 07:29:37 AM »
I just starting reading this

Im thinking that this will cost you more than its worth

you keep sliping up and thats to bad and will cost you more and more

ok a top screan $20
switch $5(Im not sure I have never broke a ds switch)
and bottom part $7
plus shiping $$$
and If you have soldering supplys if not around 30$ there

you might total to $40 plus the chance of you messing up again and soldering stuff so $70

and for a first time Ds opener the top screan removing might be a challange
plus you will have to solder the speakers on the new screan(this might be a chalange)
and solder the new switch
then add the touch part

In all and all Im afraid you next accident is you soldering iron fall of the table and burns your house JK but you may slip up soldering those speakers and melt away the ribbon cuase I have done that before
However today I was brutally raped by a door handle, and none of my friends helped me up off the floor after ten minutes, instead they all teabaged me, all 10 of them...

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2008, 12:28:19 PM »
Nah mate I've gotten a top screen for 14 with shipping, the switch actually can cost like 10 due to shippign as well, and touch screen cost me 9. It'd be a good expierience to buy this stuff and get your hands on repairing for the first tiem, even though you dropped it :P, but it ain't too bad, better spent about 30-40 then 120 for a new one, and used ones cost 60-80, so you can also try that.

Offline decy90

• Chaos Lover
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2008, 01:39:31 PM »
Pretty much what i said mario lol only explained in more detail lol :D ah well

Offline YMON

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2008, 01:39:55 PM »
i already opened up the top part... and the ponly reason why it broke even more was because of a drop

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2008, 04:07:44 PM »
Meh I've dropped my stuff numerous times, and not just the DS lite either. That's the thing with modders, they never give up :P even after a smash of the console, due to your own hand, you never call it quits. You just see how bad it is and try to start from there, it's always better then starting from 0 :D

Offline decy90

• Chaos Lover
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2008, 03:41:31 PM »
i dropped mine and messed it up quite a bit... but never gave up and got it back to 100% :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal