Author Topic: USB Host Drive? Possible?  (Read 7394 times)

Offline neo8222

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +0/-0
USB Host Drive? Possible?
« on: February 04, 2008, 11:15:59 AM »
if i were to buy this http://www.meritline.com/usb-hdd-enclosure-hard-drive-external-host.html
could i use it with a hard drive and make a usb cable to attach it to the psp then use irshell 3.9's usb host option to veiw and copy files to my memory stick? (that enclosure is supposed to be a usb host enclosure)
My PSPs history: 2.71>2.81>3.03>1.5>3.03OE-C>1.5>3.52 m33-4>3.90 m33
Mods: USB Charger Mod, Airbrushed Backplate, Acidmod PSP Theme, Trigger Mod, Wifi/Mem Light Mod
Soon: External Antenna, Pandora Battery

PvP_LostKnight

Re: USB Host Drive? Possible?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 12:20:18 PM »
lol u do realize that u have to go into psp's client usb mode to connect to the otg

Offline neo8222

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 12:21:22 PM »
well which ones not the point its will irshell be able to read the drive and copy files? besides when i clicked it outa curiosity it said failed to connect to usb host giving me the impression that the option was to connect to a host device. its also my first time using irshell.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 12:26:03 PM by neo8222 »
Mods: USB Charger Mod, Airbrushed Backplate, Acidmod PSP Theme, Trigger Mod, Wifi/Mem Light Mod

Offline loganbyers07

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 03:23:25 PM »
you could prob do it but you would need some kind of a psp homebrew to run it such as irshell but maybe you should ask pvp about it he did the internal mod and it aparently has something to do with usb otg

Thanks for the sig dhuvrock2000

The best way to get cool gaming stuff for free!

Offline nez

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pirate For Life
    • 13xic0n administrator\owner
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 09:27:34 PM »
You need usbhostfs to be running on the hdd or a device as a median running it.(PVP apparently created usbhostfs for ipodlinux or he used usbhost not know to my knowledge but that may confirm that it has to be usbhostfs not a usbhost.)

(may be possible to put it on the chip makeing the HDD usb host(instead of it running a usb host you switch it out with usbhostfs) )

from what i understand usb host makes the hdd a host but usbhostfs not only makes the hdd a host but directs the psp to the right files to look in.

(when you downlod usbhostfs thier are folder already created where you put the files you want to run. it directs the psp into the right folder.)

If you read the notebook and HDD mod it will tell you more in depth.

but check around i am not a programmer so don't take my work a 100%. Research is the number one key to success never enough research.

Offline neo8222

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 09:55:15 PM »
did anyone actualy look at the link? "Magic Box USB 2.0 ON-THE-GO 2.5" enclosure with Build-in rechargeable battery and Power Switch, Standardalone Host, Travellers Must-Have, Black Color"  "Provide dual role device function (work as a USB2.0 Host or Device)"  it already IS a usb host im just asking would irshell be able to read/copy files from the drive or would it need a new program

Offline GhoSt

• Creating Null
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +19/-0
  • Null Pointer Exception
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 01:46:23 AM »
if it does work i would like to see it mabe even try it good luck. :tup:
|Variegation - GhoSt's Final Controller|

|Nothing is deterministic.|

Offline JefeSand

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 02:04:20 AM »
I highly doubt it it will do what you want it to do.  It looks to be a simple USB to go device.  Basically you can hook it to a camera and download all the pics and vids from your cam to the hard drive or hook it to your laptop and actually view everything that's on the drive.  You are right the device is a usb host but that's not the problem the psp is not a usb host.  The psp does not know how to comunitcate with the device to be able to request data from it.  That is what the USBHostfs program and driver are for when you view info on your computer from your psp. If you were able to write a program and flash it to the device telling it how to interpret signals from the psp then yeah it could work. 
Now if you just want to be able to transfer files from you mem stick and a hard drive then there are ones that have a built in display that will actually let you copy move files from any usb device including the psp 

Offline neo8222

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 07:20:59 AM »
well i've read yes and no from many different places, i also need a portable hard drive so when i get my next paycheck ill buy the enclosure and mebe a hard drive depending on cash level. and let you know what happens.

Offline JefeSand

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2008, 01:30:19 PM »
If I were you I would get the Rapsody S25 http://www.akihabaranews.com/en/review-60-Rapsody+S25.html it is more expensive but it will do what you want it to do. You will have to use the Rapsody to actually transfer files to the psp. 

Offline neo8222

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2008, 01:46:34 PM »
ive seen those before and i WOULD get one but theres not a soul selling them on ebay/google shopping/link u gave me

Offline nez

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pirate For Life
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2008, 06:08:32 PM »
neo you have to create a port of usbhostfs and transfer it to the HDD cover. usb host will not work. the psp will be lost.

Offline gawl47

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Hey, you're that... ninja
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2008, 06:59:03 PM »
Well, it's not the Rapsody one, but it is a bi-directional transfer OTG enclosure.

I saw this one a while ago at PSP-Hacks, it seems the guy is still selling them.

This signature has failed to load, please refresh page.

Offline nez

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pirate For Life
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2008, 09:27:55 PM »
What do you want to do with this. one do you want to run apss games movie music direct from HDD or transfer to memory stick then run?

because the above two links will only transfer to and from memory stick.
but if you put usbhostfs on them them you can run direct from HDD in theory.

Offline JefeSand

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2008, 10:01:03 PM »
ive seen those before and i WOULD get one but theres not a soul selling them on ebay/google shopping/link u gave me

Yeah I know I've been looking for one for awhile, but the links gawl47 posted seem to be of a device identical to the rapsody. The main thing you want to look for when buying one is it has a lcd display and navigation buttons. Most OTG devices are just one button copy. Meaning they will copy everything from the device you plug into them to the attached HD. As far as being able to transfer using usbhostfs, once PvP and the other moders finish working on their little project then it will be possible to transfer using USBHostfs.  The main problem is the the PSP does not have a host onterface, so when attaching to a usb device like a harddrive it has no idea how to communicate with it.  What usbhostfs does is send signals over usb that the host program (PSPHost) running on the PC can itercept and tell the PC what the PSP needs. 

Offline 73N5H1

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2008, 09:19:06 PM »
did anyone actualy look at the link? "Magic Box USB 2.0 ON-THE-GO 2.5" enclosure with Build-in rechargeable battery and Power Switch, Standardalone Host, Travellers Must-Have, Black Color"  "Provide dual role device function (work as a USB2.0 Host or Device)"  it already IS a usb host im just asking would irshell be able to read/copy files from the drive or would it need a new program

do any of you actually USE USBhost on IRshell?   even on PC, it doesn't just magically connect, you have to be running the USBhostfs.exe for it to work... and that's the whole problem that everyone is trying to figure out.... PvP is obviously using USBhostfs on IRshell... you can see that in the video, but how is he running the host .exe file on the drive unless it has some sort of firmware or OS.....

Offline 73N5H1

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2008, 09:25:55 PM »
What do you want to do with this. one do you want to run apss games movie music direct from HDD or transfer to memory stick then run?

because the above two links will only transfer to and from memory stick.
but if you put usbhostfs on them them you can run direct from HDD in theory.

Another thing that people aren't realizing is that OTG devices are not meant to be constantly accessed... they're for quickly dumping files to or for transferring files from... I wouldn't expect the battery life to be very long in one of them.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal