Author Topic: Questions about mods  (Read 1678 times)

Offline LocalToast

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • DS Hacker, Modder-to-be
    • LocalToast's DS Hacks
Questions about mods
« on: May 18, 2008, 06:47:05 PM »
Hey there, first time posting here (many visits beforehand).

Anyway, what you guys do is just awesome. I can hardly look at my DS Lite and appreciate it for what it is now. So, I'm planning on doing some DS Lite mods.

First of all, I obviously want to buy a DS Lite. I don't want to mod the one I have right now, though. I'm guessing most people buy used/broken ones? I'm planning on using a casemod, so would a detached screen really be much of an issue?

I'm planning on using a translucent black case. I want to use transparent red buttons, if available. In addition, maybe white LEDs underneath the buttons.

That's about it, though. Just needing a DS, case, buttons and some LEDs. I don't have a whole lot of soldering experience, I do own an iron and solder though. I also have a Triwing screwdriver. I've opened up my DS a few times for stuff like fixing my shoulder buttons (but turns out it was too broken to be fixed, the actual button was bent). I opened a GBA too but accidentally cracked the LCD, so there's a giant black splotch on my screen. :P

So yeah, how hard would this be for me? I've watched videos of casemods being installed, but LEDs seem like a much harder area.

Thanks a bunch.
My Stuff:
- 1 Unmodded DS Phat, original
- 1 Onyx DS Lite, broken power switch
- 1 Coral Pink DS Lite, under repairs. To be for sale later

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
Re: Questions about mods
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 06:55:56 PM »
It isn't too hard per say, but just try to open your ds lite a few times and try to reassemble it from like it;s pieces, w/o any of them being on on the case, because that's what case modding is mainly about. Unless you're going to make it half oem, half custom case, then you will have to remove every single piece of the ds from the case and reattach it to another one. I've done it a few times myself, with the only biggest issues being:
-Placing ribbons inside clips w/o breaking or misplacing them.
-Guiding mic ribbon cable under the cart portion in the motherboard.
-Adjusting the L-R Triggers in the ds lite. (I hate those things with a passion)
-Placing the screen in the right spot w/o it looking tilted. (Yes, that can actually happen XD)
-Being careful not to blow a fuse :P.
-Not snapping the power switch, that thing is VERY weak.

But tbh I think you'll do fine if you do things slowly but calmly, and have the right materials for the job. If anything, start with the case mod only if you think that having the ds outside it's case too long for the LEDs feel uncomfortable to you, because that's how I felt, thinking I already broke it as soon as I opened it XD.
Proud to be a: -Yugioh Player -ITG/DDR/PIU Player -Furry Fanatic - Knife Thrower -All around awesome guy :D

Offline LocalToast

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • LocalToast's DS Hacks
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 07:04:00 PM »
Thanks for the fast reply.

Apart from small wires and ribbons, I'm not too worried about doing anything wrong to it, as long as I work carefully. I know how annoying the shoulder buttons can be... those springs are very rebellious. I was a little worried to continue any further dissection after I cracked my GBA screen, but I can't be held innocent to that because I basically tried to pry it off.

So yeah, once I save up enough money and get the materials, I'll get cracking. (Probably with the help of everyone here) Until then I'll just review disassembling DS Lite videos and practice.

Edit: By the way, what sites do you recommend for custom parts (like buttons)? I found the casemod I want from DealExtreme, but am having a hard time finding buttons.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 07:11:56 PM by LocalToast »
My Stuff:

Offline Tri-edge

• I found Nemo!!
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +4/-0
  • Azure knight
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 09:57:45 PM »
Yeah as long as you work slow and don't force anything you should be okay, just remember it's okay to stop and that breaks to calm you down so you don't get overwhelmed and break something.

As far as I know there is nobody that sell's custom buttons by themselves, in fact I've never seen clear red buttons (I've seen regular red ones though).

Offline LocalToast

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • LocalToast's DS Hacks
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 11:02:44 AM »
Come to think of it, I think it was a full transparent red casemod with buttons that I was thinking of. Not so sure if I'm willing to shell out $15-20 for just buttons, though. :\
My Stuff:

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 01:39:26 PM »
Honestly, your better off just going to DX for clear buttons, as I remember either them or some other company who DOES  sell the clear buttons for the lite seperately. If you want it red, then I suggest some sort of method to tint them red.
Proud to be a: -Yugioh Player -ITG/DDR/PIU Player -Furry Fanatic - Knife Thrower -All around awesome guy :D

Offline LocalToast

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • LocalToast's DS Hacks
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 02:05:49 PM »
Yeah, I'm not going to worry about buttons until later. DX has a lot of good stuff, though I don't think they have a just-buttons package. I saw one site that sold packages of different colored buttons for like $20 a pack, and that's way too much.
My Stuff:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal