Author Topic: Ubuntu problem  (Read 1914 times)

Offline isaac gs0

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
Ubuntu problem
« on: April 23, 2008, 06:20:53 PM »
So i let my friend barrow my Ubuntu 7.10 disk and when he installed it, it seemed to work just fine only thing was when he restarted his computer would load all the way and would say that it can not locate "bootmgr" and would not allow him to continue.

i surfed the web to see to fix it but only thing i come up with is bootcamping with vista or something called grump or something along that lines.

so can anyone give me advice on how to fix this?
We exist without skin color, nationality, or religious bias... and you call us criminals. You build atomic bombs, wage wars, murder, cheat, and lie to us and try to make us believe it's for our own good, yet we're the criminals.

Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity.
-The Mentor 19

Offline bacteria

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Games Console System Modder
    • Bacteria's site
Re: Ubuntu problem
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 12:26:31 AM »
Can you run your PC with the Ubuntu disk inserted, and get the desktop? If you can, that proves the file is on the disk and not on your hard disk, you could then search the DVD for the missing files and try rebooting again.

Offline dedafmonteur

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +4/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 10:21:55 AM »
dude, why use 7.10?
if its a pretty new pc it will run smoother with Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Desktop Edition
you can jsut download it for free @ http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

Offline PcPsp13

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • RastAFActioN
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 09:07:41 AM »
or you can try WUBI [www.wubi-installer.org]

Offline Bhawan

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +2/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 03:40:58 PM »
i think ur master boot record is messed up if u dont have a backup u are pretty much screwed and .. if u hav vista try this get a windows vista dvd boot from the dvd and select repair and then it will chek ur hard disk and then it give u some options on ways to repair there must be one saying repair/fix boot or something the select that and then it will recreate the boot.ini and ntdlr.com and another file which is important for booting ur computer...... :victory: it should work...

thanks chase for this sig =)
I miss my dragon lol....

Offline torque154

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • IRC
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 10:33:06 AM »
I prety sure the same applies to vista.  go to your comand line.  you can access this by starting your computer with your vista DVD.  type in bootfix  enter.  next type bootmbr.  WARNING:  I am not held responsible for lost data.  this will bring you to the Vista bootmanager and you will need to configure it in windows to show Linux in the bootmanager. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal