Author Topic: Replacement button or switch for Xbox 360 on/off  (Read 3096 times)

Offline kringle185

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
Replacement button or switch for Xbox 360 on/off
« on: February 10, 2010, 08:24:31 PM »
I want to replace the button in the ring of lights that turn the 360 on and off. I know the switch is a momentary button to send the on or off signal, I want to replace this.

Im pretty sure its simple enough to actually replace with another momentary button, I was thinking a larger anti vandal switch or something. But I want to also really consider the option of replacing it with a switch, like a pilot switch.

I intend to somewhat redesign the whole faceplate configuration, I want to use bondo to remove holes or w/e and really just have the on button/switch and series of 4 LEDs.

I want to know if I can replace the button with wires going to a momentary button, and if its going to be as simple as I think it will be. And if that is possible I want to know if I can use an on/off switch. I mean something like this ---

http://www.mnpctech.com/spdprtToggle.html

If the on off switch isnt possible, Im wondering where I would find spring loaded type switches. Ive seen these switches (like that pilot switch) that stay in the on or off position, and you can flick it in the opposite position but it will spring back in the position it was before.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 08:25:24 PM by kringle185 »

Offline 802Chives

• Sargeant at Arms
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +10/-0
Re: Replacement button or switch for Xbox 360 on/off
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 08:01:17 AM »
you already understand that the switch you need provides a momentary signal to the xbox in order to tell it to turn on or off.  The signal is most likely a ground connection and you will need to find out where to make the connection.

I would recommend doing all your testing in parrallel with the original switch that way you always have a control test to make sure you didnt do anything wrong.

Sounds like you are looking for a switch in like the movies where you flip the red cover and then flip the toggle to "arm" the weapon and vice versa, and it seems that you understand why you simply cant use a toggle as the xbox is looking for the momentary signal of a push button.

so in this case there are 2 types solutions as with most things in simple xbox hard mods, the  first would be to use a 555 timer and possibly some logic chips that would would provide a "one shot" pulse to the 360 to turn it on and off.

the second solution would be to program a microcontroller to achieve this buy sensing and reacting to the rising/falling edge of the switch signal. 

Both solutions will have to be powered when most of the xbox is not, so you will have to find a source that is on all the time when the device is plugged in, or provide one.

Offline treemty

• l,,l METAL l,,l
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Will mod for food
    • the1337group.com
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 06:05:57 PM »
Also, make sure if you are just replacing the button with a switch, that you dont leave it on the on mode, because the xbox will just turn on and off...over and over again.

Offline lushbaugh

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 02:17:53 PM »
you already understand that the switch you need provides a momentary signal to the xbox in order to tell it to turn on or off.  The signal is most likely a ground connection and you will need to find out where to make the connection.

I would recommend doing all your testing in parrallel with the original switch that way you always have a control test to make sure you didnt do anything wrong.

Sounds like you are looking for a switch in like the movies where you flip the red cover and then flip the toggle to "arm" the weapon and vice versa, and it seems that you understand why you simply cant use a toggle as the xbox is looking for the momentary signal of a push button.

so in this case there are 2 types solutions as with most things in simple xbox hard mods, the  first would be to use a 555 timer and possibly some logic chips that would would provide a "one shot" pulse to the 360 to turn it on and off.

the second solution would be to program a microcontroller to achieve this buy sensing and reacting to the rising/falling edge of the switch signal. 

Both solutions will have to be powered when most of the xbox is not, so you will have to find a source that is on all the time when the device is plugged in, or provide one.
he could just use a momentary toggle and put the cover on it, ive done it in cars to bump the starter solonoid

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 10:22:30 AM »
put in a reed switch and use a matgnet swip to turn it on/off....find a momentary switch, it can be done with logic as chives mentioned above, but its alot of extra work in my openion.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal