Author Topic: Wanting to learn  (Read 2810 times)

Offline 600rr

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
Wanting to learn
« on: September 24, 2008, 08:41:50 PM »
I have been looking at this site for along time now and have built several "moded" controlers with a 555 timer for myself and friends (BTW thanks for being so open about how to do that). For the past few years now I have been fooling around with solar bots and 555 timers exc. ya know the easy stuff as some would put it. Now I am wanting to step up to making my own chips (like the night rider lights) due to the fact that I can save money and space if I do. Ok enough babbaling. I guess what I am trying to say is that I dont want to spend alot of money (I only have around $100) on stuff I dont need. I would like help on what I need like a good programmer that can be used on a variety of chips, what chips are the best and were to find them, were to find hex files, software exc. Kinda like a tut for a beginer with nothing but soldering iron and a computer. Links would be great also.  :beg: ANY help would be much appreciated...

Offline XsavioR

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +2/-3
Re: Wanting to learn
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 03:28:31 PM »
You might like this option....
http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=1406&dDocName=en023805

Comes with:
 a programmer
 MPLAB (its free any way but nice to have on cd)
2 Proto boards, one with stuff already solderd on ready to use.
usb cable for the programmer.

Use this and the supplied programming tutorials  to learn to program and then check out microchip for a chip to use.
There are other places and manufacturers but I like their free samples and documentation. You really need to read what all the programmer does , as it does more then I care to type out. (and more then you will understand at this point)

Offline Hazer

• x4675636B4E7574
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +59/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 06:47:52 PM »
[Quote from Gamermodz via Viking forums]
Don't be jealous your not half as smart. I hate ****tards like you. An ignorant redneck. Your nothing but a posing ******. Get the **** out of here, really, your claim to fame is an open source rapid fire code? You make me laugh. You think you have control over the modding market?  You couldn't create what I can and do. You are too ignorant with your outrageous assumptions and accusations. [/Quote]

Offline FACE

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 07:47:49 AM »
Hey All. I'm hoping to get pushed in the right direction here. I do extensive work with LED's. I am putting together an LED scoreboard. Basically like a 7 segment but with a lot of LED's to make a bigger number. I am 1 month new into learning about the various programmers and controllers that do different things and well, I don't know which one would best control my scoreboard. I need to push a button to increase the number one at a time and push another to decrease one at a time. I also need a button that will reset the whole board to ZERO.
Now being that most of this is still greek to me, from what I have read, I believe the Arduino will do what I am looking to accomplish.
Of course I could very well be barking up the wrong tree. So, if anyone could steer me right here, I would really appreciate it. It would save me a lot of money trying different controllers until I get the right one. Name and model would be great and I will learn the rest.
Thanks
FACE

Offline 600rr

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 04:47:14 PM »
I dont thank that the PICKIT2 is set up with a socket that I can put in a chip, program it, remove it, test it, and then do it agin. I might be mistaken but correct me if im wrong? Came up with a bit more money. Maby I should go with a ZIF socket programer? Here are a few I have narrowed it down to. Let me know what you guys think. Pro's, con's, exct.

http://www.mcumall.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=3154
http://www.mcumall.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=3170
http://www.mcumall.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=3133

Offline 802Chives

• Sargeant at Arms
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +10/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 06:32:57 AM »
Pickit2 comes with a socket, it isnt a zero insertion force(zif) socket but you can put chips in and out easily with it.  the sockets loosen up with time too so the days of bending pins are pretty short lived. 

Either way you go works, however Pickit2 is $50 and comes with working programs and tutorials to get you started.  The mcu mall stuff may have similar things I dont know.  Imho pickit2 will get you up and running the fastest of the two options in this thread.

Picaxe and Arudino are also options that you could look into, they are the easiest microcontrollers on the market to work with.  They have some serious limitations, however for nightrider stuff and led tricks they are more then sufficient. I think both of them use some form of basic language that is probably the easiest programming language there is.

The mcumall and pickit will use either C language or Assembly language and they can be a bit difficult if you are brand new to programming.  Assembly language is the native language for almost any microprocessor on the market, so if you really want to learn your stuff start with assembly language.

Here are some decent assembly and C tutorials if you decide to go that route: Gooligum

let us know what you decide on.

Offline 600rr

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 07:13:44 AM »
Awsome. You guys are the best. I am going to order the PICKIT2 tonight after work. Thanks for all your help everyone.  :drunk:

Offline HYOSC1NE

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 09:05:37 PM »
wat PIC are you planing on using?
i have a PICKIT 2 myself and works great, the only inconvinient i have found is the need of configuring the PIC in code, but ones u got the right config and understand how to do it its a good and easy to use programer

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal