Author Topic: LED solder  (Read 1437 times)

Offline BEANC0UNTER

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
LED solder
« on: January 04, 2009, 10:05:51 AM »
I have everything done except solder to the #4 LED.  This seems very small.  Any tips on how to solder to it?  I assume I cannot get any on the traces around it?

Offline Max_Kreeger

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
Re: LED solder
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 04:10:55 AM »
Not sure which mod your exactly trying to do, but I think your trying to swap the LED's on the 360 controller. If so this can help:
https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=25747.0

Hope it helps
Max

P.S. Read the whole thing
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 04:12:28 AM by Max_Kreeger »

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 08:57:49 AM »
I have everything done except solder to the #4 LED.  This seems very small.  Any tips on how to solder to it?  I assume I cannot get any on the traces around it?

I would assume the led contact is for a indicator, and not a swap of leds. I personally have never had any problems with this, but alot of people have.

the way I do it is:

strip the wire you want to attach, only a very small amout like 1/8-1/4 inch bare wire. next affix a small blob of solder to the bare end of this wire. now after blob has dried, hold it next to the led. use a small clamp or piece of tape so it dont move now just brush the tip of your iron across the blob. just touch it dont hold your iron there. keep tapping it with your iron untill it bonds. DONOT OVER HEAT!!!!! BONDING SHOULD HAPPEN ALMOST INSTANTLY

the biggest problem people have is over heating the led.   

Offline 802Chives

• Sargeant at Arms
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +10/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 06:03:05 AM »
like modded matt said make sure you "tin" or pre apply solder to ur wire. also make sure to add a little solder to where you are soldering on the led. 

Having fresh high quality solder on both sides will make ur life much easier then working with the low quality solder already there.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal