Author Topic: Blue 0603s on the cg board?  (Read 1832 times)

Offline cadillacdavid

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Blue 0603s on the cg board?
« on: March 05, 2009, 09:35:33 PM »
I ordered 100 blue 0603s from unique leds and did my two controllers and my console ROL, no problems all went well.  My friend liked it and since I had extra leds i was going to do his controller and console.  Well I opened his controller and he has the cg board (both of mine were matrix boards) I soldered in all the leds and they are very dim, almost not visible, except for when I touch the soldering iron to any of the contacts on any of the leds then that one lights up bright until i remove the iron again.  What is the deal?  I searched these forums literally for the last four hours and couldn't find anything on this so sorry if it's been covered before.

Offline Ben.

• Club AM VIP
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +2/-0
Re: Blue 0603s on the cg board?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 11:28:08 PM »
Maybe Its A Bad Soulder..?

Offline tnsmongoose

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 12:14:19 AM »
can i see pics of your controller an what blue leds did you buy , im trying to figure out whats th differance.

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 04:36:14 AM »
I had the same issue a week or so ago, it blew my mind, I replaced the LEDS and all was well, I think the LED my have been damaged during install, but not sure, like I said I replaced them and there was no problem. I got mine from unique LED also

Offline cadillacdavid

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 08:51:46 AM »
I guess I could have been more specific.  I have resoldered them numerous times and have also tried multiple different leds all with the same results.  I thought maybe it's because the cg board doesn't put out as much power?  But that doesn't explain why they get bright when touched by the iron.  I got the cheap leds and i believe the forward voltage is 3.0 with a max of 3.4 and forward current is 20mA.
I have also tried to resolder the original green leds back on and they work fine.

tnsmongoose-
I bought the cheap 0603s from unique leds .20 cents a piece unless you buy 100 then they are only .16 cents.  I don't have my camera available right now but there are very good pictures of both boards on here somewhere.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 08:59:07 AM by cadillacdavid »

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 09:26:58 AM »
I got the $0.34 leds from unique, they have a brightness of 380 mcd

Offline cadillacdavid

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 09:36:09 AM »
The ones you speak of have a forward voltage of 2.9 with max being 3.5 and forward current of 100mA.  Is this the difference?  I have went through so many leds now trying to get his controller to work, it's really pissin' me off that they light up when I touch them. 

Offline ichagowill

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 09:57:18 AM »
what happened with my cg controller was i put red and white mix lights on it and when i turned it on only the red lights went bright so i checked my battery it was low so the i changed it and they worked

Offline cadillacdavid

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 01:20:31 PM »
Batteries definitely make a difference but they are still not even close to as bright as they should be.  I can pull the battery pack out of one of my matrix controllers that is lighting up perfectly and put it into his cg controller and still not even close to acceptable.  When his is all put back together you have to try real hard to even tell they are on.

Offline ichagowill

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 02:21:30 PM »
when i installed the rapid fire rapid reload on my red controller i had orginal green leds the 4th player blew out so i had to put a white one in. it wouldnt light bright so what i did i pluged it into the charger on my computer and turned the mod on and off a couple of times and enevually it light up brighter that controller was a CG

Offline tnsmongoose

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2009, 09:48:46 PM »
how did you get the leds off. i tried an i broke off the tab you solder too. did you just leave the solder gun on the led till it came off easy.

Offline ichagowill

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2009, 09:58:04 PM »
i put the solder and the solder iron together waisting the solder against the led and it was pushed off its hard to explain this might be better

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOXDGN4hNdc

it took me one time to get it right i broke one led though

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2009, 06:17:52 AM »
a little trick I learned from Chad,

use two irons, one in each hand, one on each side of the led and just lift them right off

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal