Author Topic: x-clamp???  (Read 1472 times)

Offline p3t3r_m

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
x-clamp???
« on: May 12, 2009, 04:12:24 PM »
is it worth doing the x-clamping without actualy having signs of getting the red rings, would that make the cooling better??so therefore making it less lieky to develope the red rings in future
BLARG!!

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
Re: x-clamp???
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 04:37:59 AM »
I personally would not go to that extent to prevent the RROD, and definatly not if it is less than three years old!! even then I would not do the xclamp until it is needed. maybe some fan mods and what not to prevent the rrod from happening. if you can keep it cool and clean, you should be fine.

Offline Max_Kreeger

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 04:54:33 AM »
If its out of warranty I reckon you should...IF! you know what your doing; and while your at it change the thermal paste to Arctic Silver, add a few heat sinks here and there and do the 12v mod on the fans.

Then you should be all set.

Offline p3t3r_m

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 12:33:36 PM »
its not out of warrant but the case is moddified so unless i could get another case of an xbox in warranty ime screwed lol and i have a whisper fan in it and doesnt the 12v mod get u banned on live??
BLARG!!

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 04:21:37 AM »
well, there seems to be mixed openions. So take it for what its worth. as for the 12v fan mod. this is a myth everyone is scared of but has never be reported happening to anyone. I think max has done it. and I know others who have and no problems. knowing my luck though if I did it I would get banned LOL

Offline Max_Kreeger

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 02:54:37 AM »
Yeah I've done it...but I didn't cut the wires I just shorted some of the transistors. I'll try find the tut....and I also added another fan onto the CPU heat sink...only problems I have gotten from having 3 fans on 12v is that my power brick can't handle it and it just shows a red light or if it does let me power my xbox it can't power the USB's which means I can't charge my batteries which means I can't play my 360 lol.
So dw about being banned...

EDIT:

Found it:

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=637955
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 03:32:46 AM by Max_Kreeger »

Offline 802Chives

• Sargeant at Arms
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +10/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 04:52:29 AM »
thats very interesting max....  are you using a 175W supply?  i have never heard of that being a problem, but then again I am not as diligent in keeping up on 360 things lately.

Offline Max_Kreeger

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 10:24:03 PM »
It says Output DC : 203W.....I think there may be a short somewhere. I guess its for the better coz I should really be concentrating on school lol. I'll have a look at it in the coming school hols.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal