Author Topic: Dual Nubs  (Read 2351 times)

Offline aquatsr

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +0/-0
Dual Nubs
« on: June 28, 2009, 03:01:47 PM »
Alright, so I've been on these forums on and off. I've seen requests for, and tutorials of, dual nubs on PSPs for as long as I've been a member here.

Recently I've been browsing the PSPGo thread, and I see a lot of people b*tching about how the Go doesn't have dual nubs.

So, I have this question: What, exactly, are dual nubs good for? The only thing I can think of is when you're playing a FPS game and you want to move and aim at the same time. Now I haven't played any games like that on the PSP (but I'm sure there are) Personally, I like playing FPS on consoles and the PC, not on handhelds. So, aside from FPS games, is there any reason to have dual nubs?

1. If there is, tell me. I honestly would like to know and I'm not trying to be an ass. (So sorry if it comes off like that)

2. If there isn't another reason. All you people complaining, think about this: why should Sony cater exclusively to FPS gamers? They are trying to appeal to the largest demographic available - not everybody plays FPS games. Also you need to think of the costs involved. At a one-unit level, adding dual nubs may not be too difficult, or costly (again, I don't know specifics, so don't bite my head off) But on a large scale manufacturing basis the (initial) overhead for a new motherboard design is very costly, plus add in the costs for QC, recalls, and testing AND the fact that you appeal to only a certain percentage of your consumer base, this suddenly becomes a cost/benefit ratio that is not in Sony's favor. That's what the people at Sony are thinking

\endrant

On a different note: Anybody here interested in Pandora?
Kamelot Forever

Offline TwisTtheTwiTcH

• Blogs & Media Editor-In-Chief
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +12/-2
  • Within my shadows there are no sins
Re: Dual Nubs
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 03:05:35 PM »
Well first person shooters are nice and being able to easily move and aim is awesome as well.

Now here is a question, why have leds in the triggers, change the color of your case, put sound reactive leds in your psp.... Why customize things?

Because it looks good, you'll have something original to show off to all of your friends. And simply because when somebody brags "oh i got a PSP Go" you can whip yours out and be like "Yea so do I, what do you think? It's custom."

Not to come off as an ass or anything you know ;)

-TwisT

Offline aquatsr

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 03:07:44 PM »
Well first person shooters are nice and being able to easily move and aim is awesome as well.

Now here is a question, why have leds in the triggers, change the color of your case, put sound reactive leds in your psp.... Why customize things?

Because it looks good, you'll have something original to show off to all of your friends. And simply because when somebody brags "oh i got a PSP Go" you can whip yours out and be like "Yea so do I, what do you think? It's custom."

Not to come off as an ass or anything you know ;)

-TwisT

No, I totally understand that. That's taking something stock and making it your own. That's why I'm here lol. But I mean, to look at something stock, and complain it doesn't have your desired mod, and to attack Sony's dev team on not including it. That's what I'm trying to address.
Kamelot Forever

Offline TwisTtheTwiTcH

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +12/-2
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 03:28:29 PM »
Look at Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, they have an entire website to listening to peoples input on what they want included in the game. It doesn't take a genius, or much effort for that matter to determine that people desire a dual analog hand held console. Considering all over the internet were mock ups of possible designs that usually included a second analog stick. I believe the reason people complain is simply because it seems as though the Dev team fell short in there responsibilities and didn't exactly listen to what people wanted included.

-TwisT

Offline aquatsr

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 03:32:57 PM »
Look at Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, they have an entire website to listening to peoples input on what they want included in the game. It doesn't take a genius, or much effort for that matter to determine that people desire a dual analog hand held console. Considering all over the internet were mock ups of possible designs that usually included a second analog stick. I believe the reason people complain is simply because it seems as though the Dev team fell short in there responsibilities and didn't exactly listen to what people wanted included.

-TwisT

Fair enough. I also wanted to know if there was another use for dual analogs aside from FPS. (Cause that's all I'd use them for)
Kamelot Forever

Offline TwisTtheTwiTcH

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +12/-2
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 03:42:25 PM »
I suppose the other uses it determined by however comfortable you find yourself while gaming. Just a slide of your thumb to hit X for a RPG where there is a lot of un-needed dialog could make skipping through it a bit faster. You could have the second nub simply to show off. If they make a RPG like Mist on the PSP so that the controls are like that of a first person shooter you could use it for that.

When it comes down to it it will be a determining factor for your gaming style and the size of your hands. Because for a gamer with larger hands like myself, my thumbs that close together could be more of a discomfort than anything else.

-TwisT

Offline W-Gaming5

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 08:10:09 PM »
:censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 02:05:36 AM by W-Gaming5 »
:censored:

Offline aquatsr

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 09:04:08 PM »
I suppose the other uses it determined by however comfortable you find yourself while gaming. Just a slide of your thumb to hit X for a RPG where there is a lot of un-needed dialog could make skipping through it a bit faster. You could have the second nub simply to show off. If they make a RPG like Mist on the PSP so that the controls are like that of a first person shooter you could use it for that.

When it comes down to it it will be a determining factor for your gaming style and the size of your hands. Because for a gamer with larger hands like myself, my thumbs that close together could be more of a discomfort than anything else.

-TwisT
True, it depends a lot on the person.

beacuse it looks cool
and if you sell it someone may be looking for 1 with a dual nub and pay more to have it.
Both valid points, but going back to my original point, the Sony Dev Team has much to consider beyond just whether something looks cool. My whole point is that people should look at the PSP Go and the existence or lack of dual nubs from a developer's POV.

Keep in mind that Sony knows people are going to complain about the price. Handhelds generally come out at the $150-250 range, and maybe adding dual nubs would put the profit margin lower than Sony executives want (Personally I think SCEA is too concerned with price points and not concerned enough with pleasing the consumer). The PSP is not a product that only some people buy at exorbitant prices. Things like saying it's cool and that people may pay more for dual nubs doesn't (matters less) for a large company like Sony that caters to an audience, not an individual. Points like yours would be highly considered at, say, Chevrolet. The Chevy Corvette can be ordered to be custom built to your whim. If you want dual exhaust pipes instead of a single one, no problem. You just pay more. But the Corvette is not meant for everyone. Only a certain clientele buys that. That isn't the case with the PSP.

Note that I agree with you on both your points. Dual nubs look cool and people will pay $$$ to purchase a PSP with that modification done. I'm annoyed when people bash Sony for not including them on the Go.
Kamelot Forever

Offline TwisTtheTwiTcH

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +12/-2
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 10:35:40 PM »
aquatsr -

That is quite true, and I personally do not mind that Sony did not include it. I simply reply as to why people complain. I defend neither point in all actuality. Quite simply the less Sony does to there product means the more modders have the capability to do. No dual nub? That is fine, enough people like dual nubs that somebody will figure out how to make it a possibility. Maybe they want the screen to tilt up slightly like the AT&T Tilt, somebody will figure it out too if enough people get interested.

There are a lot of people that won't like the Go if it isn't hacked because they will want a hard copy of any game they buy and rightly so. Because it would suck to fry your mobo and lose 60$ worth of games and content. I'm sure there will be a way to get the information back but still, Sony's download times... Plus you just fried your mobo, you've got more on your mind I'm sure ;)

-TwisT

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal