Author Topic: dead DS?  (Read 1634 times)

Offline Tec_

• EL-Wire King
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • EL Wire King
dead DS?
« on: September 20, 2009, 06:10:50 PM »
hey guys my uncle has a DS light that it sounds like he was trying to do a case swap on and it went sideways. he thinks he might have damaged a ribbon cable. when he gos to power up the DS the bottom screen flashes and then nothing happens no sound nothing happens to the top screen that the end of it. same thing happens when he tries to fire it up out side the case.

i haven't seen it yet but i will tomorrow and then ill have pics up. any one have any ideas what it might be? or what to look at?

Offline Tri-edge

• I found Nemo!!
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +4/-0
  • Azure knight
Re: dead DS?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 01:30:15 PM »
the ribbon cables are either not plugged in all the way or the ribbon cables are bent to the point that they are broken.   Also just for good measure make sure the wifi/bios chip is all the way in.

Hope this helps.  :cool:

Offline Shadow Ops

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 05:17:16 PM »
I don't know much about the DS, but I do know a lot about electronics. It could be a loose ribbon cable, but I doubt it. It sounds like your DS motherboard has been fried. :confused: Static electricity is most of the time the main reason for this. Static electricity can be produced when you work with electronics on a carpet, or when you are wearing a sweater and it rubs against your shirt. Whenever I work on an electronics project I use antistatic gloves or an anti static wrist band, or a anti static keychain. This has never happens to me, but people have told me that they fried their computer RAM just from placing it on the carpet for a moment...

But, Tri-edge could be right, but I will still go with the fried theory... Most people just don't take the proper precautions with electronics (clean work space, anti static device, forces things, etc...), and they end up sad in the end... :cry2:

Offline Tec_

• EL-Wire King
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • EL Wire King
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 05:55:22 PM »
Dude im an electronics technician you don’t need to tell me about ESD.

and thanks tri ill have a look at the ribbon cable and the wifi board just for good measure

Offline Shadow Ops

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 07:17:39 PM »
Dude im an electronics technician you don’t need to tell me about ESD.

and thanks tri ill have a look at the ribbon cable and the wifi board just for good measure

Never new that...  I must look like an idiot now... :confused:
I've read so many posts here that sound like they're coming from an 11 year old, play-all-day gamer who knows nothing about electronics. :psp: (not that you sounded like that!) :cool:

Offline Tri-edge

• I found Nemo!!
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +4/-0
  • Azure knight
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 10:27:12 PM »
I don't know much about the DS, but I do know a lot about electronics. It could be a loose ribbon cable, but I doubt it. It sounds like your DS motherboard has been fried. :confused: Static electricity is most of the time the main reason for this. Static electricity can be produced when you work with electronics on a carpet, or when you are wearing a sweater and it rubs against your shirt. Whenever I work on an electronics project I use antistatic gloves or an anti static wrist band, or a anti static keychain. This has never happens to me, but people have told me that they fried their computer RAM just from placing it on the carpet for a moment...

But, Tri-edge could be right, but I will still go with the fried theory... Most people just don't take the proper precautions with electronics (clean work space, anti static device, forces things, etc...), and they end up sad in the end... :cry2:
Actually that's what the ds is programed to do if the cables are plugged in.  It's supposed to flash like that  :laughing:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal