Author Topic: Random Thoughts...Possible Work Log  (Read 3423 times)

Offline mintybacon

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • BAM
Random Thoughts...Possible Work Log
« on: July 13, 2009, 10:22:50 PM »
Today i got my friends broken 360 to tamper with and hopefully fix
Today as in 30 mins go...

He bought this Xbox off of eBay it red ringed but with a disc drive error so he planed to buy another drive and replace it
He found a drive that had a problem opening but I guess it would read just fine...just wouldn’t open and close
he opened both drives and swapped the lens chip and stuff and it worked for awhile then it red ringed and its sat in his room staring at is Xbox 360 elite  :laughing:

I first plugged it in and it worked :huh: :rofl: :tup:
It then froze and red ringed i got the code 0102

0102 Error in the "Digital Backbone" (CPU/GPU/RAM), this is usually caused by a cold solder joint between the GPU and the main board.
There are two theories to fixing this one deals with the "X" clamps that hold down the chips. The other involves re-Heating the chips. DO NOT attempt either of these if your console is still under warranty. If your console is still under warranty return it to the store where it was purchased or call MS to have it replaced.

So I opened it up to see what’s all up I found that the blank screws that normally hold the heat sinks to the metal cover missing I got the mb out and there was some sorta attempt at a X-clamp fix

There was 1 cm screws with one nylon washer on each side

The fixes I’ve seen there were like 3 metal washers on each side and 2 nylon and holes were drilled in the metal cover

I’m probably going to redo the x-clamp fix

I remember reading on a forum either here or some where else back a while that if u put a plastic chip/piece in between the heat sink and the chip that it makes a better connection or something can any one else recall?

And on the bottom of the mb those black (Ram chips?) that normally have those band-aid things on them didn’t have the Band-Aid things on there
So penny fix? I’m assuming unless told other wise

And can the Arctic Silver heat sink paste be bought at a radio shack or hardware store?
Is there a substitute to the cleaner I’ve heard other things like half vinegar half water

And there is Pepsi? Stains in my Xbox what do I use to clean that ill post pics in the morning when i get a chance

Hopefully ill be able to fix all of this and clean it up nice it seems simple enough ill post pics and add more detail tomorrow when its not 1am
 :tup:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 8/10/09

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
8/14/09 sneek peek at the paint

when i put the plastic cover on it started to raddle..like like bad loud raddle so i have to fix that

my frikkin awsome fan shrowd with my own custom isometric decaying design

and with the flat black it looks soo nice i wish it was more visible.

then sneak peek at the whole case
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 10:11:59 PM by mintybacon »

Offline bustinthejustin

• Registered BST
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
Re: Random Thoughts...Possible Work Log
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 10:35:28 PM »
Sorry don't know much about 360s, but for the pepsi stains, rubbing alcohol would probably work. Same with cleaning the old thermal paste. Rubbing alcohol and a q-tip works well, I heard.

Sig by Kenshinffx - Thanks!

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 05:47:06 AM »
dont put anything between the chip and the heat sinc..those bandaids were most likly thermal pads, those aswell as the artic silver can be found at an electronics supply store, radio shack is ify

Offline 802Chives

• Sargeant at Arms
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +10/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 06:23:04 AM »
good luck!

make sure to log ur work, thats what this place is for... we love pictures :tup:

Offline mintybacon

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • BAM
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 10:16:08 AM »
Okay update pics

Now I said that my disc drive has parts from 2
All the parts are from Toshiba/Samsung drives
But there are two forms the MS25 and MS28
1. How do I tell what one I have?
2. If I have one half MS25 and other half MS28 how big of a problem is it?
Just to clarify he bought the 360 with a broken disc drive the lens and that stuff I guess didn’t work
So he bought a second Toshiba drive that the lens would read and work but the motor and stuff wouldn’t open and close the door

PICS~ click for link

Now the X-clamp fix

This is what was done to it when i received it
I’m going to do the fix on llama.com

those bandaids were most likly thermal pads

I’ve seen the vids and pics but I was trying to say that the band-aids were not there at all there was nothing just the chip

Nasty gunk pics

Most of it looks like Pepsi or coke stains but then there the black stains that look like melted plastic that are found on the top metal plate on one of the heat sinks

This all seems like a pretty easy fix I’m going to clean this stuff the best I can and later run out to get arctic silver and screws washers and stuff to see what I can do with the x-clamp fix

Assuming I get this done the fun stuff starts to happen

I plan on adding blue led tailismoon fans in the back now are those able to handle the 12v mod I heard that all that mod does is break your fans and if it doesn’t is there a way to make it so its not running off the disc drive I would prefer its own power source there’s no sense in making the Xbox work harder

Not this drastic but the idea of the transformer to power all the extras then I could just add a pot to what ever fans I throw in

Xbox 360 30v Fan Mod

And then extra heat sinks I know that 2 come with the fans but then if I got this would i still be able to put an xcm fan in above it?

http://secure.llamma.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=918

I’m going to clean every thing up maybe some more pics later and possibly have a working Xbox by tonight I might go photo shop and do some image editing to give every one an idea of what I wanna do to my Xbox as of case mods and fans

Update***

I got the Artic silver and all the parts for the X-clamp fix
im using 3 steel washers then one nylon washer for the clamp fix I don't think that this will leave room for me to do the penny fix for protecting those black chips on the bottom i might be able to use 1 penny but using 2 pennys im worried that i would bend the mb and that wouldnt be to cool
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 01:14:46 PM by mintybacon »

Offline Jumbo

• Dr. Mod
  • BST BAN
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-3
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 01:46:54 PM »
30 Volts will ruin the fans m8 :D

Offline mintybacon

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • BAM
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 01:50:30 PM »
yeah that goes without question and i dont want a jet in my room so i was thinking of finding like a 10-12v transformer would do but would 12 volts kill those tailismoon fans?

and im doing the xclamp right now ill post pics later

Offline ryan0

• I EAT STUFF
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • I LIEK CHEEEEZE
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 01:54:24 PM »
yeah that goes without question and i dont want a jet in my room so i was thinking of finding like a 10-12v transformer would do but would 12 volts kill those tailismoon fans?

and im doing the xclamp right now ill post pics later

You can just use a 12v zener diode to clamp down the voltage,then use a 100ohm or so resistor to smoothen out the circuit.
Derp.

Offline mintybacon

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • BAM
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 03:58:15 PM »
X-clamps worked im letting it cool down some more but it opened up the dashboard and i went threw some blades (old dashboard) and turned it back off

now im going to start looking in to the fans windows and LEDs i plan on putting in

All the parts are from Toshiba/Samsung drives
But there are two forms the MS25 and MS28
1. How do I tell what one I have?
2. If I have one half MS25 and other half MS28 how big of a problem is it?

the drive will open and close but it will not read the game

How to replace a Toshiba/Samsung DVD drive in an XBox 360 2

he doesnt have the old drive so i can open and close the xbox door from the dashboard but when it comes to reading and seeing if there is an actual disc in there it can do it im going to open it up im sure its just dirty r some thing
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 05:07:14 PM by mintybacon »

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 05:45:31 PM »
there is also a way to adjust the beam itself, if someone else has been tinkering with this thing you never know what they have done. you are sure he onl swapped the laser not the whole drive, correct? if the whole units was swapped you need the drive key.

that thng looks like a mess LOL my hats off to you just to see it turn on and load the dashboard.

Offline mintybacon

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • BAM
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 05:49:16 PM »
i could load the dashboard just fine it was the actual read the disc was the problem so i cleaned the lens and the littlemagnet thing on top wasnt locking in right as soon as i had that i was set and played the frist level of gears  :tup:

im assuming sence i can actually play the game then ill be able to flash this drive no problem

im uploading pic right now...

This is the old crappy X-clamp that was already on there it was 1 nylon washer (one one side only) and a cm screw

the metal plate before

Left old screw right new screw

drilled holes for new fit

now i couldnt find metric nylon washers so i got as close as i can and got a 2mm thick one the original had 3 1mm steel and one 1mm nylon so for this i have 2 1mm steel and 1 2mm nylon and it worked great

fits great even with the one screw that is drasticly longer

my controled heating i timed out 10 mins and as i was walking to the xbox it flashes 2 red for th over heating

30 mins ater cooling down

and 30 mins after fixing the disc drive...

and now im looking into flashing the drive

the outer cover says ms25 so its the easyer one but the ms28 to flash i read you have to remove a ressistor in orter to flash im still looking into it but im hoping that they are both ms25 are the little mb in the drives identical or no?

***Update~6/16/09***

i tried about all day to figure out this whole flashing thing and im not having any real luck if any one has a link to a tut or vid that shows how to flash a samsung ms25 drive on vista
all of the tuts i find are out dated and have broken links and such

i was look on the web and i found this uniclamp fix http://xbox-experts.com/e/tutorial.php?n=hybrid
i already have my x-clamp fixed so should i bother buying this uniclamp?

parts im looking at...any thing i should add or not get?

http://www.extreme-mods.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=xb360%2Dhsaircooler&CartID=1
http://www.extreme-mods.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=xb360%2DCoreCoolerv2%2DBlue&CartID=3
http://www.extreme-mods.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=xb360%2Dxcmdvdcover&CartID=2

im waiting to find a place where i can get all of this for as cheap as possible
and then talking to a friend he is going to hlep me paint my xbox i plan on doing a metalic blue with some flat black on the air tunnel, disc drive, then like the power button and random stuff on the face plate
ill post a little more later on today
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 07:38:49 PM by mintybacon »

Offline mintybacon

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • BAM
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 08:56:09 PM »
Bump-date

cut rough holes in put in xcm fans and disc cover

painting on thrusday
still need to...
sand the case a bit more
drill design in fan shrowed
install plexyglass
throw leds in the disc tray and on the top
change the ROL to blue
flash the disc drive
hdd upgrade

its been pretty slow cause i havnt had time or money to actually be modding things my xbox modding time and money some how was spent on girls...go figure so ill throw pics up thrusday friday of the paint

if any one has a cool simple decal i could airbrush in that would be sweet cause im still coming up with a theme

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal