Author Topic: Master Card - Pirates Need Not Apply  (Read 3530 times)

Offline TwisTtheTwiTcH

• Blogs & Media Editor-In-Chief
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +12/-2
  • Within my shadows there are no sins
Master Card - Pirates Need Not Apply
« on: December 17, 2010, 10:57:05 AM »
MasterCard is now willing to deny transactions for any website that deals with piracy  of any copyrighted content.

It was announced to the entertainment sector such as those so plagued by piracy losses that the credit card company is in support of The Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act.
https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,37630.0.html

The lobbyists that gave the interview were the only response to interview requests, because the representatives for Visa, American Express, and MasterCard didn’t reply to the requests.

Mitch Glazier the Vice President of Government & Industry relations issued a statement on behalf of the entertainment sector on the ongoing of talks between MasterCard.

“MasterCard in particular deserves credit for its proactive approach to addressing rogue Web sites that dupe consumers," Glazier said. "They have reached out to us and others in the entertainment community to forge what we think will be a productive and effective partnership.”
-Mitch Glazier

The fight against piracy has changed, Hollywood studios, the music labels, and video game companies are no longer singling out the pirate or even the site operators. The new tactic is to cut off the source of income for illegal file sharing websites.

One specific tool in there tool box is to charge for “Premium Services” for larger storage capacities and tacking on as many extra costly charges as possible.

One specific site that is being targeted is megaupload.com/ It is believable that Visa, PayPal, American Express, and Master Card have it in there sights.

-TwisTtheTwiTcH

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
  • Dōmo, Konnichiwa, :censored:es...
    • Misadventures in Mediocrity and Modding
Re: Master Card - Pirates Need Not Apply
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 11:47:13 AM »
Wow, guess the front line is moving in a new direction... I miss the days where piracy involved an actual social circle where you had to physically meet up with people to share things (not that I condone piracy any more), but that was back when games came on a dozen 2.5" floppy discs and the closest thing to a website was a dial up BBS... ahh those were the days...
AcidMods Ninja... You won't know I'm there until you're gone...

All of these sigs are from the original acidmods sig comp...  @jrfhoutx  "No respect, no respect at all... that's the story of my life." --

Offline nEoVaLoR

• Local Moderator
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +36/-26
  • Young Modder
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 04:02:05 PM »
Wow, guess the front line is moving in a new direction... I miss the days where piracy involved an actual social circle where you had to physically meet up with people to share things (not that I condone piracy any more), but that was back when games came on a dozen 2.5" floppy discs and the closest thing to a website was a dial up BBS... ahh those were the days...
Funny that you mention that, my American History teacher was telling us a story today about back in the day how piracy used to be :3

Offline crazy-modder

• Research & Development
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +34/-2
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 04:15:06 PM »
Well its a good thing that 90% of online buyers use paypal... :clap:

Offline TwisTtheTwiTcH

• Blogs & Media Editor-In-Chief
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +12/-2
  • Within my shadows there are no sins
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 06:00:40 PM »
Well its a good thing that 90% of online buyers use paypal... :clap:

PayPal is on the list of those service providers that are probably going to prevent piracy.

All of this is more or less irrelevant for me though, It couldn't possibly effect me any less.

I do however love when people say that the government preventing piracy by blacklisting sites is against there constitutional right of freedom of speech / expression.

-TwisT

Offline crazy-modder

• Research & Development
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +34/-2
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 06:27:28 PM »
All i know is that the government will never be able to get rid of piracy. There is always a loophole somewhere.  The reason i mentioned paypal is because you can just use your paypal balance instead of using paypal to pay with a credit card. 

Offline jacobia jacob

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • come at me bro
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 07:07:27 PM »
All i know is that the government will never be able to get rid of piracy.

This.

The war on piracy will go down about as well as the war on drugs. If enough people want something, the government has no chance of stopping it.

that being said, i will also say that media companies can't possibly be expected to continue producing products if they don't have any income. so the war on piracy will continue forever.

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • Research & Development
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
  • Electronics Expert Electrical Engineer
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 07:38:17 PM »
They would have no clue if your site promotes piracy or not.

Your site can be a facade of legal activity like a forum but you could be hosting encrypted torrent seeds available to only people who have trusted credentials. :D

no way will they find that out!!!

Follow my Instagram and subscribe to my YouTube

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
  • Dōmo, Konnichiwa, :censored:es...
    • Misadventures in Mediocrity and Modding
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2010, 08:07:47 PM »
Media companies will start making revenue again when copyright law is changed and they stop using archaic tech and broken business models and methods to perpetuate shlocking the garbage they call a product. The entertainment industries destroyed their own viability when they started putting quantity over quality...

IMO people pirate for many reasons but as far as media companies are concerned if they produced a quality product then people might be more willing to pay for it... I for one will not pay to see a movie that's a remake of a remake, nor will I pay for an album with 1 quality song and a bunch of horrid filler... I also refuse to support an industry that screws over it's employees (like musicians) or one that pays people millions to play make believe, or one that pays whiny adults millions to do something most kids would do for free (athletes). I stopped going to movies in theatres for that reason. I lost all interest in professional sports when the mlbpa went on strike in the 90s (well except for football, real football, just can't give up my Saturday mornings with ManU [edit: i dont' consider most professional athletes to actually be athletes... footballers on the other hand...])... And I haven't bought a major label album in probably 6 years...
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 09:21:59 PM by jrfhoutx »
AcidMods Ninja... You won't know I'm there until you're gone...

All of these sigs are from the original acidmods sig comp...  @jrfhoutx  "No respect, no respect at all... that's the story of my life." --

Offline A_Akuma

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 08:28:19 AM »
There is a simple reason for all of this that I read on a bumper sticker once. "Thou shall not steal. The government hates competition."

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • Research & Development
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
  • Electronics Expert Electrical Engineer
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 12:51:17 PM »
There is a simple reason for all of this that I read on a bumper sticker once. "Thou shall not steal. The government hates competition."

The government has more power if all are equal. Thus no competition = lots of government control.

Follow my Instagram and subscribe to my YouTube

Offline geraldrubalcava

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +15/-3
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 12:29:02 AM »
Media companies will start making revenue again when copyright law is changed and they stop using archaic tech and broken business models and methods to perpetuate shlocking the garbage they call a product. The entertainment industries destroyed their own viability when they started putting quantity over quality...

IMO people pirate for many reasons but as far as media companies are concerned if they produced a quality product then people might be more willing to pay for it... I for one will not pay to see a movie that's a remake of a remake, nor will I pay for an album with 1 quality song and a bunch of horrid filler... I also refuse to support an industry that screws over it's employees (like musicians) or one that pays people millions to play make believe, or one that pays whiny adults millions to do something most kids would do for free (athletes). I stopped going to movies in theatres for that reason. I lost all interest in professional sports when the mlbpa went on strike in the 90s (well except for football, real football, just can't give up my Saturday mornings with ManU [edit: i dont' consider most professional athletes to actually be athletes... footballers on the other hand...])... And I haven't bought a major label album in probably 6 years...

dude what u said spoke to heart.  bough cod4 for the computer after 2 years just because when i tried the game it was awersome! anything not worthwile is trash. if they spend enough  time producing quality then they would e rich. if not fudge them!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal