Author Topic: Repair PSP or buy a new PSP  (Read 6506 times)

Offline Raguto

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Repair PSP or buy a new PSP
« on: February 23, 2011, 10:04:13 PM »
I got a PSP used from a friend and the faceplate was cracked so I had bought a new full housing shell cover and as inexperienced as I am I tried to put it on myself I completely messed up and lost most of the screws.. I lost the silicone rubber conductor and tried using video's to put my PSP back together and everything is all messed up.

The PSP replacement full housing shell cover I bought is one of those cheap chinese plastic ones and it is not very good at all I do not like it..also with everything together I cannot turn the PSP on or off it doesn't touch the on/off switch

I was trying to put in a screw on the back and accidentally cracked the PSP LCD screen so that's ruined now too..

So ... to sum it up

Cracked LCD screen - needs replaced
Rubber Conductor for Analog - needs replaced
Full Housing Shell Cover(Good Quality One) - needs replaced
Something to be able to hit the ON/OFF switch - needs replaced
L/R Buttons(Maybe) - needs replaced

Well what can I do guys? does anyone on here know a whole lot of information and would it be better to buy a whole new PSP 1000 for 100 dollars or would it save me money just to replace everything because I do still have all of the important parts like the motherboard and stuff but even if I do replace everything I am not sure if I will be able to put it all back together and have the PSP be tight because mine right now is really loose and is crap.

Also maybe if someone can give me some good sources for cheap replacements and how much it would be all together, Is there someone I can go to and they can put my PSP back together like how it is when you first buy it?

So I guess a new PSP 1000 is like 100 dollars...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 10:09:40 PM by Raguto »

Offline rafaliyo86

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +12/-1
  • Acidmods User
Re: Repair PSP or buy a new PSP
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 11:41:39 PM »
I think you could fix it.

I buy replacements on dealextreme and they are very cheap. Full housings are cheap chinese plastics but I have done some mods and works fine but you need to fit it.

Prizes on dealextreme (Moreless)
LCD 17$
Rubber conductor 1,30$
power board  3$
LR buttons 2$

For 25-30$ you could fix it then I think you should try it

Offline Raguto

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 11:22:47 AM »
The beginning issue was putting it back together right.. with the right screws in each hole which I messed up on really badly..

Also you are forgetting to add the price of the new housing shell cover.. that's another 25 right?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 11:23:55 AM by Raguto »

Offline rafaliyo86

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +12/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 12:28:40 PM »
There are many tutorials wich show where go each screw.

And there are full cases for 15$

Offline 45th Assassin

• Modder in Training
  • Registered BST
  • Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • Modder in the Making....
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 02:16:59 PM »
Yes, I agree with rafaliyo86... Look for cheaper parts, they are out there! The first time for anything may seem complicated... but just remember to take your time, place parts where you won't lose them, etc. The psp was first thing that I have ever modded, and it did seem overwhelming at first... but now it takes me a matter of minutes to disassemble and reassemble! Good Luck!

Offline DuctTapedGoat

• PC Repair Junkie
  • Registered BST
  • Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +20/-12
  • I'm a duct-taped goat.
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 03:10:38 PM »
Honestly, I'd go hit up every pawn shop in the area, see if you can find some cheap junkers you can pick up for less than 50 bucks for parts. I got mine for under 30, and it was even repairable up to 99% working. When I get paid I'm going back there to score a few more for parts/repair.

As far as screws are concerned though, I have a thin metal ashtray I ducttaped a speaker magnet to the bottom of. Works great for screws on a project. Then I keep a few carmex containers around with magnets in them to keep different project seperated. Before that, I just used a glass container with a magnet in it. It's almost a necessity - especially when you're going into something blind.

Whenever you're disassembling any piece of tech, there's an order to take things out. Get a step by step guide - there's one for almost every device that's been on the market in the last 20 years. If you can't find one for an old (15+ years) you'll be okay going in blind. But if it's a new device (last 5 years) and you can't find a guide, don't mess with it until someone who knows what they're doing crack into it on their own device first. Less their trials and tribulations in figuring it out benefit you. You don't want to make easily avoidable mistakes by not researching other peoples mistakes.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 03:24:34 PM by DuctTapedGoat »

Offline GailJustice

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 12:38:36 AM »
Its wasting time and money if you are planing to repair it, better to buy a new one.

Offline rafaliyo86

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +12/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 06:39:57 AM »
Its wasting time and money if you are planing to repair it, better to buy a new one.

Sometimes you have to spend money and time if you really want to learn

I think without them you dont learn

Offline DJGodman

• BANNED
  • Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • DJGodman PSPMods , Hacks , Pandora , And More...
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 07:07:46 AM »
buy a new

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
  • Dōmo, Konnichiwa, :censored:es...
    • Misadventures in Mediocrity and Modding
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 09:34:05 AM »
I think it really depends on what you wanna do. you can get all the parts you need for way less than $100. If you wanna learn how to disassemble and reassemble the unit and improve those skills then I'd say repair it; if you have no desire to do that and all the work (i mean it really shouldn't take more than a couple hours to do a full swap) sounds like more hassle than fun, then sell the broken one and buy a new one...  Personally I'd keep and fix the broken one...
AcidMods Ninja... You won't know I'm there until you're gone...

All of these sigs are from the original acidmods sig comp...  @jrfhoutx  "No respect, no respect at all... that's the story of my life." --

techninjadude

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 09:56:10 AM »
Just to tell you you didn't break you Screen, lol the screw pressed on it making a crack but If you take of the screw it will go. By the way the first time I did it I remembered were it all goes, and yes the ones from china are cheap and rubbish like always. Just get a new shell again, and it should come with new screws, and maybe a new rubber thing. Then fix it. Dont spend to much money, because I bought a few working psp from ebay for the same price for repair of you psp.

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, 10:43:26 AM »
A cracked LCD is a broken LCD. just because it will still display a picture doesn't mean it's not broken.

All of these sigs are from the original acidmods sig comp...  @jrfhoutx  "No respect, no respect at all... that's the story of my life." --

techninjadude

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2011, 10:54:18 AM »
No, He thinks its broken, you try it your self, screw in a long screw in the back, a crack will appear and the screen will flicker, then remove the screw and it will be normal again, I am not responsible if you drill it in, thats if you wanna try it.

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2011, 11:04:47 AM »
I have, I've done it, I've seen it, and I still say cracked is broken whether it will display or not.

Offline Crumbz

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +29/-2
  • Networking & Database Administrator
    • www.asagia.net (Coming Soon!)
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2011, 11:10:53 AM »
i would say to go for the repair. I completly destroyed my first psp 2000 but now im extremly fluent in dissasembly and reassembly and repair of all versions of the psp. And i can tell you that repairing is cheaper and chances are your going to get a better quality part then the original one you had.
Plus you get the experience of repairing and dissasembly to hekp you in the future if you need to fix it again.

Minecraft Server (Online)
Name: Asagia Realm's
Address: mc.asagia.net:65156

techninjadude

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2011, 11:27:18 AM »
I never broke my psp's, because I appreciated the money I have since I get no money,from my parents. My Indian mate from my class, who is the most dumbest person in the world, tried to copy me, because he got jealous when I told him I mod, what I devil. He is so dumb he trashed up 3 psp's trying to copy me, and his dad kept buying him a psp, but now coz I tormented him, he stopped modding, sorry I meant, not  :censored: up psp's.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 11:28:50 AM by techninjadude »

Offline Raguto

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2011, 03:19:15 AM »
Well if anyone is still interested I decided to repair my PSP so I have ordered all of the parts besides 1 thing I can't seem to find any where to buy the original sony PSP parts, I'm telling you I don't want the cheap chinese plastic ones that are flimsy I don't like it I want one that is tough, Can someone help me out with a video on where to put all 19 screws in PSP 1000 & maybe some where to buy the original sony front and back plates.

Oh and by the way the LCD I'm pretty sure is cracked the screw is still in where I left it but I thought maybe I broke the lcd by pushing my fingers on it to hard while trying to screw the screw in but if I get the screw out I will let you know how it looks after...

Offline cobrajeff92

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2011, 03:40:05 AM »
its good practice to fix it. first one i did i bought one and took it apart and put it together a couple times to get use to.

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2011, 10:36:05 AM »
ebay is really your best bet for original sony case parts tbh...

as for the screws... I'll see about tearing down my PSP and see if I can get some pics or something for you...

Offline Raguto

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2011, 12:47:08 PM »
Seriously? Wow as long as I can tell by just pictures where each screw and what screw is going in what hole then that will be very nice thank you and I will keep looking on ebay for some of the original sony cases I can't seem to find any..

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2011, 05:12:23 PM »
you may end up having to buy a dirt cheap totally trashed PSP to get all the stock case parts if you can't find any there... are you in the US?

Offline Raguto

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2011, 06:00:28 PM »
Yeah I'm in the U.S and I don't really want to spend more than 20 dollars on a full housing shell I think just being able to play the PSP is a bit more important to me.

I might just go with 1 of the crappy ones on e-bay the only original PSP parts they have is like the faceplate they don't have a full housing as OEM, any suggestions on which 1 to get on e-bay that would be worth it's dollar..

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal