Author Topic: charging a ps3 controller  (Read 9664 times)

Offline geraldrubalcava

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +15/-3
  • Acidmods User
charging a ps3 controller
« on: February 03, 2011, 10:09:26 PM »
Hi everyone,

Its bin forever since ive bin in the scene. But recently i was doing a project,(a ultimate charging station for my things), and i ran into a little problem. How to i charge these dam ps3 controllers! i know they charge if you plug them into the ps3 or computer.

But feeding 5.0V to it does not charge the controller. ive tried  different pullup resistors to see if there is a combination that will trigger it to charge. Does anyone know the protocol it uses to charge? i know its possible because there are charging stations for these controllers. They even indicate when its charging or when its done.

So my guess is that there is a form of tricle charging then when the controller is fully charged is cuts off power then the station know its charged. OR. There is a protocol that distinguishes  charging lever and charge triggering mechanism?

if so,  can it be implemented into a 12f629? i now this chip has a voltmeter function, or even a 12f684.. i have both chips just laying around. or even an arduino with a 2x16 lcd to display charging?? lol :hifive:

well i know hyper999 has a o-scope, so do you mind if you could find what exacly goes on when charging? of if anyone knows how exacly this happend it would be great!

thanks again!!

Offline TwisTtheTwiTcH

• Blogs & Media Editor-In-Chief
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +12/-2
  • Within my shadows there are no sins
Re: charging a ps3 controller
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 11:37:07 PM »
I am going to look into this further if nobody replies before I am able too, however your conundrum is quite curious... I used a standard usb wall outlet and it charged my controller just fine.

Just for the sake of knowing, could you tell me which controller you have? The model number.

Like I have a CBEH-1010(This is my special controller. Mwaha), CECH-ZC2U, CECH-ZC2E, CECH-E???... (I am not sure where this one is), DECR-1010E.

It could be a factor depending on which controller you have. Just look at the bottom, it is on the top right hand corner of the controller.

-TwisT

Offline Famas

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +1/-8
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 03:06:30 AM »
this might not be apropriate but i kinda thought usbs give off 5 and a half volts could that be ure problem and has it been converted from ac to dc that might help not sure will get some pics if i can

Offline frenulem - No.5417

• Ultimate Badass
  • Blogs & Media Team
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +23/-0
  • Learning Pascal Cuz i'm dumb and 'Ting
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 06:24:43 AM »
Yeah thats a point, i doubt you would have looked over it but check it's not AC

Offline geraldrubalcava

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +15/-3
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 06:32:03 AM »
 I have diferent controllers. Hum realy? I've tried anything from a original apple charger. I'm currently at work so i can't tell u the modrl number. But i can see that this is a intreaging topic. I know apple uses a combination of resistors to trigger charging state. But not untill recently. They (some person) reverse engineers one of these chargers so now they have the "master combinations" forto charge all there devices.

Can this wall plug charge a iphone? Or ipod touch? If so that might be the combination. Hum but can we use. Pic to determine charging and chared state?

EDIT: i don't think it uses ac. It uses the uwb 2.0 standard. IE 5.0v @ 500mA. That's why a computer can charge this. Not about the current at all. It abould the protocol and triggering charge
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 06:35:46 AM by geraldrubalcava »

Offline hyper999

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +544/-3
  • Research and Development
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 04:05:01 PM »
i used to charge my ps3 controller with a basic £1 usb wall adapter (so cheap it wouldnt even work with newer ipods)

my oscope is no use here its to slow and near impossible to interpret the data from anyway

but where are you drawing the power from?

Offline frenulem - No.5417

• Ultimate Badass
  • Blogs & Media Team
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +23/-0
  • Learning Pascal Cuz i'm dumb and 'Ting
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 04:15:18 PM »
What are you actually trying to achieve here?

Offline TwisTtheTwiTcH

• Blogs & Media Editor-In-Chief
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +12/-2
  • Within my shadows there are no sins
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 04:17:13 PM »
[spoiler]
I have diferent controllers. Hum realy? I've tried anything from a original apple charger. I'm currently at work so i can't tell u the modrl number. But i can see that this is a intreaging topic. I know apple uses a combination of resistors to trigger charging state. But not untill recently. They (some person) reverse engineers one of these chargers so now they have the "master combinations" forto charge all there devices.

Can this wall plug charge a iphone? Or ipod touch? If so that might be the combination. Hum but can we use. Pic to determine charging and chared state?

EDIT: i don't think it uses ac. It uses the uwb 2.0 standard. IE 5.0v @ 500mA. That's why a computer can charge this. Not about the current at all. It abould the protocol and triggering charge
[/spoiler]

Try a generic unbranded charger, it could be something specific for the apple charger you are using. I've now tried multiple usb chargers including the minty boost and they all worked.

Try giving us more information, and I'll try looking into it.

-TwisT

Offline hyper999

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +544/-3
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 04:18:46 PM »
What are you actually trying to achieve here?

He's making a multi charger, the part he is struggling with is charging a PS3 controller without it being hooked up to a PC or PS3.

Offline Hazer

• x4675636B4E7574
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +59/-0
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 04:18:52 PM »
The controller needs a USB 'smart' charger in order to actualy charge:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DualShock

While the DualShock 3 is compatible with any standard USB mini-B cable and many USB chargers, official charging cables are available from Sony. These include an official cable, the USB 2.0 Cable Pack and a wall charger, the AC adapter charging kit. Any third-party USB charger used must act as a USB host device, rather than simply providing power over the appropriate pins, since both the Sixaxis and DualShock 3 require a host signal to "wake up" and begin charging.

The controller connects to the charging device (PS3, PC, other) via the USB comunication and will only stay on if it interfaces with the charger.

PS: Found this in 20 seconds through Google.
[Quote from Gamermodz via Viking forums]
Don't be jealous your not half as smart. I hate ****tards like you. An ignorant redneck. Your nothing but a posing ******. Get the **** out of here, really, your claim to fame is an open source rapid fire code? You make me laugh. You think you have control over the modding market?  You couldn't create what I can and do. You are too ignorant with your outrageous assumptions and accusations. [/Quote]

Offline geraldrubalcava

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +15/-3
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 04:37:16 PM »
hey hazer! in sorry. i  now realize that it can be found in Wikipedia. but that did sound a little mean.

but im just wondering if we can emulate "host" into a pic or even arduino. ima do a quick search. But since in not that familiar with asm or even basic. I just know C++. is there anyone that could help me out with the code? well in just asking if anyone is willing to help. well thank you.
also, how can these third party chargers know when the controller is fully charged.. i havent seen anything like that. I know maybe the controller just stops charging. but i want to see if an arduino can display "charging" and "charge completed". im sorry, if its a dumb question. but any help would be great! xD

Edit: so if you are able to charge your controllers with a simple usb wall charger. that means that it eather uses a combination of resistors or even a IC to begin charge. but it does "host". and yes, im doing a charging station and got the ipod cellphone and "other" down, just needed this one. sorry if its trubbeling :)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 04:41:29 PM by geraldrubalcava »

Offline geraldrubalcava

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +15/-3
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 05:10:43 PM »
i guess no one know how to trick this into charging.

Offline hyper999

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +544/-3
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 09:30:29 AM »
i 100% definately used to charge my release day sixaxis with a dumb usb charger.

Offline Famas

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +1/-8
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011, 09:55:23 AM »
im not sure here but on statup (when you  start charging) the charger emulates a certain voltage like 3.9 volts to tell the ipod to allow to charge just and idea as i again used a rubbish wall charger from sony not even apple lol (too charge my ipods) so im thinking if you supply a sony lead with 5v in your housing it will work  you only need black and red in a usb to charge the others are for data transfer as ive made a usb charger myself will get you some pics etc  yet again make sure its dc not ac

Offline hyper999

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +544/-3
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2011, 10:03:24 AM »
actually no, some chargers do need the data lines, if you wanted to charge and ipod touch you would have to connect the 5v and gnd as normal and then put a 100k pull up resistor on each data line. you could try this with the ps3 charger but i do not know. the official sony charger may use a different combination of resistors or an IC if someone had a charger that works maybe they could look?

Offline Famas

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +1/-8
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2011, 10:14:14 AM »
i have an old sony walkman usb charger

Offline geraldrubalcava

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +15/-3
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2011, 10:25:55 AM »
i agree with hyper on this one, the charging voltage is 5.0 volts and im not quite sure what combination of resistors i can use to make it work.

any newer ipod or iphone, they all need a type of data ready signal, how apple designed it was that there is a certain voltage that can trigger charge depending now whats the pullup resistor, ex. a 100k will trigger to charge 5.0v @500 ma  while a 1A charger will have a dif combo of resistors.

hyper, this might be too much to ask, but can you un-skrew your charger ans see what exacly it has connected to the data lines? that would help me out alot! xD

Offline hyper999

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +544/-3
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2011, 10:29:48 AM »
i looked ages ago, curious as to how everything fitted in a tiny plug and the datalines were un touched it was a fully dumb charger, perhaps release day controllers didnt need a smart charger?

Offline geraldrubalcava

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +15/-3
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2011, 11:00:07 AM »
so just power and gnd? well not quite sure, i have the newer v4.0 controllers so not sure if its the version. did the led of the controller blink?

Offline hyper999

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +544/-3
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2011, 11:02:42 AM »
i dont remember it was a few years ago but yes i think so...

Offline Hazer

• x4675636B4E7574
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +59/-0
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2011, 08:16:56 PM »
The reason why I provided the wiki link was becuase it stated that the controller will turn itself off unless it can communicate with the charger. This means that the charger has to have the ability to emulate a USB host. If the controller does not recieve the proper USB communication protocol across the data lines, it will simply go back to sleep (and not charge). I have been having problems with the USB3.0 on my computer, and it keeps dumping devices. The PS3 controller was one of them. My controller refused to charge from my PC. I also could not get it to charge from a simple 5V USB charger either (5V only on the USB lines, no data).

I cannot be 100% certain, but I do not believe there is a resistor trick here. I bought a stand-alone PS3 charging stand from Deal-extreme in order to charge my controller. It has an IC in it that communicates with the controller to allow it to charge.

I could be wrong, I have not really investigated this anymore than that.
[Quote from Gamermodz via Viking forums]
Don't be jealous your not half as smart. I hate ****tards like you. An ignorant redneck. Your nothing but a posing ******. Get the **** out of here, really, your claim to fame is an open source rapid fire code? You make me laugh. You think you have control over the modding market?  You couldn't create what I can and do. You are too ignorant with your outrageous assumptions and accusations. [/Quote]

Offline geraldrubalcava

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +15/-3
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2011, 05:37:01 PM »
hum i see, well i guess i cant emulate usb host with a simple 12f683, but if i can use a another chip, i can then use this to charge everything. from my smartphone to other devices. hum. i may try to use a usb hub then try to mess with it. hope this works out.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal