Author Topic: SMD 12f683?  (Read 6708 times)

Offline drummerdude

• BST BAN
  • ♥ Poker Champ ♠♣
  • Post quality +11/-5
  • Acidmods User
SMD 12f683?
« on: March 26, 2011, 03:59:35 PM »
So i found a lot of smd 12f683s. Does anybody know if there is a difference between these and the normal ones? Is is more difficult to program them since the pins are bent? I might buy them since they have a cheaper unit price and they look more hardcore i guess.

"I'm not a very tall person, however I show self-confidence of a bigger person"

Offline hyper999

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +544/-3
  • Research and Development
Re: SMD 12f683?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 04:05:28 PM »
exactly the same other than size and shape. (not gonna fit in a DIP socket)

Offline drummerdude

• BST BAN
  • ♥ Poker Champ ♠♣
  • Post quality +11/-5
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 04:07:46 PM »
what is the size difference?

Offline hyper999

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +544/-3
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 04:15:45 PM »
depends on what smd package

SOIC is your best bet,

you can use a breakout board like this to program them, no need to solder the chip in, just connect the breakout board to your programmer (how depends on what programmer you have) then hold the chip in place on the breakout board whilst you program it.

Offline drummerdude

• BST BAN
  • ♥ Poker Champ ♠♣
  • Post quality +11/-5
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 04:18:18 PM »
Is there a special reason for the smd 12f683?or is it just more tiny im guessing. A rapid fire chip i bought off ebay used an smd.

Offline hyper999

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +544/-3
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 04:23:22 PM »
It does nothing different to a PDIP 12F683, its just a different size and is surface-mount instead of through-hole.

If you are skilled enough with a soldering iron to solder to the smaller pins directly, they are much easier to fit inside a controller :)

Offline drummerdude

• BST BAN
  • ♥ Poker Champ ♠♣
  • Post quality +11/-5
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 04:24:47 PM »
I think ill get some and try it out and learn how to solder them. thanks alot

Offline drummerdude

• BST BAN
  • ♥ Poker Champ ♠♣
  • Post quality +11/-5
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 04:35:30 PM »
Do you know where i can get some bread board for these? I tried looking but theres just to many options. also i really appreciate all the work you and other members have done to help this site. :yess:

Offline hyper999

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +544/-3
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 04:49:40 PM »
do you mean a breakout board, for programming them with?

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/494

If you solder pin headers to this you should be able to plug it straight into the DIP socket on your programmer :D

Offline drummerdude

• BST BAN
  • ♥ Poker Champ ♠♣
  • Post quality +11/-5
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 04:57:39 PM »
yup.. that should work... thanx alot

Offline FastBrad

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +2/-1
  • C.O.D Extraordinaire
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 04:51:58 AM »
I have smd packages as well and I have this to program them http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250714220402&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT works great, and it means if you sample them, you can get 6 at once (3 of each)

Offline Anonamous

• The Unknown Identity
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +14/-1
  • Electrical Engineering Student
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, 08:38:48 AM »
It does nothing different to a PDIP 12F683, its just a different size and is surface-mount instead of through-hole.

If you are skilled enough with a soldering iron to solder to the smaller pins directly, they are much easier to fit inside a controller :)

There is also a spot or 2 on the controllers where it appears as if you could place one there. i would say you could try carefully pulling off the traces (only a little bit not the whole thing) so that you could lay the chip down in place and solder wires to it. Its on the back of the board and im sure this would save a ton of space. (Im not responsible if you break ur controller while attempting that lol just in case)

Also, could you link me to where this are as I may purchase some.

Offline drummerdude

• BST BAN
  • ♥ Poker Champ ♠♣
  • Post quality +11/-5
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 08:46:13 AM »
couldnt u just solder them where the chip usually goes? theres so much room in da controller...

Offline hyper999

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +544/-3
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2011, 09:16:23 AM »
put them wherever you like ;)

and i get mine here

Offline Anonamous

• The Unknown Identity
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +14/-1
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2011, 08:24:48 AM »
put them wherever you like ;)

and i get mine here

Would I be able to place them in one of the 2 areas I cicrled?

By cutting the traces and then soldering them to the pads there on the board.

Offline drummerdude

• BST BAN
  • ♥ Poker Champ ♠♣
  • Post quality +11/-5
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2011, 08:29:32 AM »
It seems like a perfect spot, except it would prolly do something to the controller if u cut the trace. Im not really sure what that area does.

Offline hyper999

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +544/-3
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2011, 08:46:14 AM »
dunno not sure how it would affect the controller, also im not sure what SMD package would fit but, the legs of the PIC would cover those entire pads so it would probs be just as easy to solder straight to the legs.

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
  • Dōmo, Konnichiwa, :censored:es...
    • Misadventures in Mediocrity and Modding
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2011, 08:48:10 AM »
the upper spot that you circled (U5) already has an 8pin IC in that location, the lower one (U4) however has no IC (on any CG1 that I've ever seen) you could  cut the traces somewhere between the IC pads and the vias and test the controller's operation, if it screws something up (which I highly doubt since it's a blank set of IC pads, but you never know) just repair the traces and your controller's back to normal. if nothing is screwed up then you have a nice spot to place SOIC PICs for RF mods (which as soon as my next batch of SOIC PICs show up I'm going to test this out myself and see how it goes).

You're definitely going to have to trace all the pins for U4 to make sure that they don't connect to anything. If nothing is soldered there currently then I'd say cutting the traces isn't going to affect anything (technically they're already 'cut' since there is nothing that they're connected to), but not cutting the traces and installing a PIC could make things go haywire, depending on what U4 connects to...
AcidMods Ninja... You won't know I'm there until you're gone...

All of these sigs are from the original acidmods sig comp...  @jrfhoutx  "No respect, no respect at all... that's the story of my life." --

Offline Anonamous

• The Unknown Identity
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +14/-1
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2011, 09:02:47 AM »
the upper spot that you circled (U5) already has an 8pin IC in that location, the lower one (U4) however has no IC (on any CG1 that I've ever seen) you could  cut the traces somewhere between the IC pads and the vias and test the controller's operation, if it screws something up (which I highly doubt since it's a blank set of IC pads, but you never know) just repair the traces and your controller's back to normal. if nothing is screwed up then you have a nice spot to place SOIC PICs for RF mods (which as soon as my next batch of SOIC PICs show up I'm going to test this out myself and see how it goes).

You're definitely going to have to trace all the pins for U4 to make sure that they don't connect to anything. If nothing is soldered there currently then I'd say cutting the traces isn't going to affect anything (technically they're already 'cut' since there is nothing that they're connected to), but not cutting the traces and installing a PIC could make things go haywire, depending on what U4 connects to...

Ok, and I knew one of them had an 8 pin IC on there, I just didnt know which one and was too lazy to look at one of my boards, so I just circled them both.

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2011, 09:23:19 AM »
If you're in a rush to use that location go ahead and test it out and let us know how it goes, if you can wait I should be getting my next batch of SOIC PICs by next weekend and I'll try it out then...

All of these sigs are from the original acidmods sig comp...  @jrfhoutx  "No respect, no respect at all... that's the story of my life." --

Offline Anonamous

• The Unknown Identity
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +14/-1
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2011, 09:27:58 AM »
If you're in a rush to use that location go ahead and test it out and let us know how it goes, if you can wait I should be getting my next batch of SOIC PICs by next weekend and I'll try it out then...

I dont have a test controller or any more chips the now. But I did just look at the traces and they are so far 2 of them are connected to the main microcontroller thingy lol. Right to the left of TP9the top two pins. I havent finished tracing the rest though.

Offline hyper999

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +544/-3
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2011, 09:46:03 AM »
as long as there are no more than one trace coming off each pad you should be fine, but either way its not exactly hard to fix if it doesnt work, just cut all the traces one by one and test the controller after every cut, that way you only need to repair one trace if it doesnt work

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2011, 01:50:25 PM »
OK so I traced out all the pads... you've got some serious trace cutting work and precision soldering to do in order to use U4, lol. it appears that the pads have a power and ground supply, but I don't think they'll be usable as they're on the wrong pins...

edit: I just cut the traces to the pads, it's a bit of a pita... everything is pretty tight in there and some of the pads have multiple traces coming off of them... a little later I'll post some pictures of the pads and where you'll need to cut to completely free them to use for RF...
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 01:52:22 PM by jrfhoutx »

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2011, 08:31:04 PM »
OK so, I had been considering doing this for quite some time and Anonomous' question pushed me to finally do it. I've almost completed this (just need to solder in a few wires to finish up the RF), and I have to ask: do you guys just want a few pics to show this is possible and have a little guidance on it, or do you want to see a full writeup on how to pull this off (tutorial style)? I can do either one as I've fully photo-documented doing this...

It's actually pretty sweet and not too hard to do honestly... opens up a ton of room in the controller for other mods, too...
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 08:31:55 PM by jrfhoutx »

Offline drummerdude

• BST BAN
  • ♥ Poker Champ ♠♣
  • Post quality +11/-5
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2011, 03:52:56 AM »
Sounds good! a full tutorial is not needed, but i think u should go ahead and make it anyway. this will definetly make lots of more room

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal