Author Topic: Submerged xbox Need help  (Read 5661 times)

Offline Frosty

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +2/-6
  • Acidmods User
Submerged xbox Need help
« on: January 11, 2012, 06:42:06 PM »

i would like any tips on how to make this work.Any thing you can think of please let me know.Need as much as possible.
It is a submersed xbox version.
It will be submerged in mineral oil
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 08:18:48 AM by Frosty »

Offline Monk3y

• Amateur Modder
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • Acidmods User
Re: my next build
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 06:49:42 PM »
I think it'd be possible if you make a sealed plexi box around the motherboard, then ran tubing out of the sealed box to each component. That's about the only way I see that working because we all know water + electric don't really mix :P

Offline Frosty

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +2/-6
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 06:53:15 PM »
you use mineral oil instead distalled water would work but it is corrosive
Oil does not generate electricity

Offline Monk3y

• Amateur Modder
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 07:00:26 PM »
you use mineral oil instead distalled water would work but it is corrosive
Oil does not generate electricity

Well looks like you really do learn something new every day, I did not know that. I just figured you were using water because of the fish :P

Offline Frosty

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +2/-6
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 07:03:52 PM »
its gonna be plastic
here is what i am doing but with an xbox
Mineral oil computer

Offline Mogler

• Research & Development
  • Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +11/-0
  • Seeding bittorrents like a digital pimp, son.
    • Indie Game Zone
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 07:19:05 PM »
My buddy did that lol, https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,38784.0.html , He actually just finished it last week so he will be posting a finished video tomorrow. It was in our local newspaper hahah.

Youtube: CallawayINC
Blog: Mogler

Offline GhoSt

• Creating Null
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +19/-0
  • Null Pointer Exception
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 07:55:12 PM »
If you want a fish to be swimming in it you can't use mineral oil.
Btw just dropping a little knowledge, pure water doesn't conduct electricity, it has to have picked up free ions that can carry a charge. Hence you can get away with the risks of using distilled water in controlled watercooling, however if you plan on submerging a motherboard I wouldn't recommended it.
|Variegation - GhoSt's Final Controller|

|Nothing is deterministic.|

Offline Coincidence

• Guppy
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • addicted to LEDs
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 08:00:20 PM »
Lol I'll help ya out where I can but no taking my projects name, its too good to give up

Sexbox 360

Offline Frosty

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +2/-6
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 02:08:41 PM »
Lol I'll help ya out where I can but no taking my projects name, its too good to give up

Sexbox 360
yes this is what i want hahah i love it.Could you give me build specs on it like how you rerouted it

Offline Coincidence

• Guppy
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • addicted to LEDs
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 06:48:53 PM »
yes this is what i want hahah i love it.Could you give me build specs on it like how you rerouted it
Yes, I saved the parts list from when I started and the crude paint diagrams, but my finals are for the next 2 weeks, so I'll probably give all the stuff to you in sections in that time.

Psssst hey admins can I help him with the mod off w/o getting him in trouble/disqualified? also I might enter this years mod off but idk yet... I NEVER use my slim anymore...
>: )

so ya if its ok with the rules ill help out where I can

Offline Frosty

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +2/-6
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 07:00:25 PM »
Yes, I saved the parts list from when I started and the crude paint diagrams, but my finals are for the next 2 weeks, so I'll probably give all the stuff to you in sections in that time.

Psssst hey admins can I help him with the mod off w/o getting him in trouble/disqualified? also I might enter this years mod off but idk yet... I NEVER use my slim anymore...
>: )

so ya if its ok with the rules ill help out where I can
Not doing mod off :nono:
i would rather watch other people maybe next time
this is something i have wanted to do for a long long time i just really enjoyed how it looks

Offline Coincidence

• Guppy
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • addicted to LEDs
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, 07:10:13 PM »
Not doing mod off :nono:
i would rather watch other people maybe next time
this is something i have wanted to do for a long long time i just really enjoyed how it looks

got it, lol sry mogler sent me this thread and assumed it was a mod off entry.

I'll send instructions and a parts list in a couple days

but for a start check out my mod off thread, should give you a broad idea of what you will need and how to build it.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 07:15:56 PM by Coincidence »

Offline Frosty

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +2/-6
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2012, 07:30:08 PM »
got it, lol sry mogler sent me this thread and assumed it was a mod off entry.

I'll send instructions and a parts list in a couple days

but for a start check out my mod off thread, should give you a broad idea of what you will need and how to build it.
alright thanks
where did you buy that tank its sexy i like it.

Offline Coincidence

• Guppy
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • addicted to LEDs
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2012, 12:23:24 PM »
alright thanks
where did you buy that tank its sexy i like it.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-5-gal-Tank-Aquarium-Kit-Fish-Aquatic-Pets/14660258

pretty decent priced too

heres the radiator I bought (it was on sale got 2 for 42$)
Thermaltake 120MM Liquid cooling Radiator & Silent Fan

and I suggest getting better submersible pumps than I did, they don't move the oil that fast (mine were 3.8L)

oh and you will need tubing, I got 8ft but get 10 just in case because I only hooked up one radiator, and I really don't have enough to hook up the other (probs cause I lost some in the 2 or so months that this was just sitting there...) also make sure the fittings for the radiators that you buy fit both the radiator threads and the inner diameter of the tubing, (doesn't have to be exact, if need be you can heat up the tubing to make it fit on the fitting, but the radiator end has to be exact) and buy some pipe seal tape (really thin white tape... idk if pipe seal tape is it's proper name)

really get some good wiring and solder, you will need both thick for the main power lines and very thin for the usb, ROL, A/V, etc.
^ that's important^ I have been having problems with my ROL and just found out today, the lights work (I turned it on using the dvd eject) but the power button doesn't so it looks like I will have to rewire that ROL extender for the fourth time.... and found out my usb ports stopped working today aswell, possibly because I tore out the air bubbler to put it on the back, probably knocked a wire loose... (but much quieter than the constant vibrating in the hood)

-to sum ^that^ up mineral oil causes wire to become brittle, so don't be like me and pour the oil in before everything is ready and tested (don't run the pumps without liquid though)-

heatshrink wrap is a good idea too, I ran out of mine and used hot glue on everything (covered all the extender wires on the mobo so they would stay in place with hot glue, no bad effects have come yet...)

Oh and you wont need 5 gallons of mineral oil, the mobo, psu, pumps, and rocks make it full with 4 gallons

Finally you will need a heat gun, and 2 xbox 360s to complete this project (one for ports to take off the mobo) or if your feeling daring just take the ports off the mobo that your using, (heatgun) I didn't because I had an old board and figured I would end up breaking something while trying to take the ports off the board.

I'll probably think of more things to say but for now I gotta turn in some cisco hw.

let me know if you have any questions with this ill organized post lol

Offline Frosty

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +2/-6
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2012, 12:40:08 PM »
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-5-gal-Tank-Aquarium-Kit-Fish-Aquatic-Pets/14660258

pretty decent priced too

heres the radiator I bought (it was on sale got 2 for 42$)
Thermaltake 120MM Liquid cooling Radiator & Silent Fan

and I suggest getting better submersible pumps than I did, they don't move the oil that fast (mine were 3.8L)

oh and you will need tubing, I got 8ft but get 10 just in case because I only hooked up one radiator, and I really don't have enough to hook up the other (probs cause I lost some in the 2 or so months that this was just sitting there...) also make sure the fittings for the radiators that you buy fit both the radiator threads and the inner diameter of the tubing, (doesn't have to be exact, if need be you can heat up the tubing to make it fit on the fitting, but the radiator end has to be exact) and buy some pipe seal tape (really thin white tape... idk if pipe seal tape is it's proper name)

really get some good wiring and solder, you will need both thick for the main power lines and very thin for the usb, ROL, A/V, etc.
^ that's important^ I have been having problems with my ROL and just found out today, the lights work (I turned it on using the dvd eject) but the power button doesn't so it looks like I will have to rewire that ROL extender for the fourth time.... and found out my usb ports stopped working today aswell, possibly because I tore out the air bubbler to put it on the back, probably knocked a wire loose... (but much quieter than the constant vibrating in the hood)

-to sum ^that^ up mineral oil causes wire to become brittle, so don't be like me and pour the oil in before everything is ready and tested (don't run the pumps without liquid though)-

heatshrink wrap is a good idea too, I ran out of mine and used hot glue on everything (covered all the extender wires on the mobo so they would stay in place with hot glue, no bad effects have come yet...)

Oh and you wont need 5 gallons of mineral oil, the mobo, psu, pumps, and rocks make it full with 4 gallons

Finally you will need a heat gun, and 2 xbox 360s to complete this project (one for ports to take off the mobo) or if your feeling daring just take the ports off the mobo that your using, (heatgun) I didn't because I had an old board and figured I would end up breaking something while trying to take the ports off the board.

I'll probably think of more things to say but for now I gotta turn in some cisco hw.

let me know if you have any questions with this ill organized post lol
Yeah just a parts list and i dont really get why you need 2 xboxs.
Maybe a diagram on how you moved your power button ect would help thanks.

Offline Coincidence

• Guppy
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • addicted to LEDs
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2012, 01:28:58 PM »
Yeah just a parts list and i dont really get why you need 2 xboxs.
Maybe a diagram on how you moved your power button ect would help thanks.
um well the way I did it is use a heatgun on the board and pull on the port with pliers until the heat melts the solder and the port comes off, then just run wire from the board to the port so it will extend to the hood on the top, I used 2 xbox's because when I did use the heat gun on my old mobo it was flexing like hell, so idk you can just let it melt until the port comes off really easy just make sure not to burn or melt the board or chips on the board

you will also need a dremel to cut out the holes in the top hood (do all the cutting before you mount the motherboard on the back

here is the rest of the parts,

2 12" CCFLs (pick a color)
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m570.l1312&_nkw=dual+12%22+CCFL&_sacat=See-All-Categories

some sort of acrylic so you can drill into it and mount it on the case with epoxy, then screw in the mobo

fish rocks (clear rocks like i have pretty much just in the crafts section of walmart

and finally a power supply, I got a 250W one out of an old computer, try to get a smaller one (size wise) so it will fit nice in the tank

I think that's about it between this and the last post that should be everything

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal