Author Topic: No 'Red Ring Of Death'-style disasters for Xbox One, says Microsoft  (Read 10917 times)

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
  • MODDER, REPAIR, CUSTOM IDEAS.
No 'Red Ring Of Death'-style disasters for Xbox One, says Microsoft

[smg id=2950]

General Hardware Failure

When a failure of one or more hardware components occurs, Q1, Q3 & Q4 flash red. Unlike the one light error, there is no error code displayed on the connected display."

This rather terse description in Microsoft's documentation was of little comfort to those who experienced what came to be known as the 'Red Ring Of Death' on the original Xbox 360. For many, it was pretty much game over for their consoles, which had to be professionally serviced and repaired, or simply replaced.

It was a chapter that undoubtedly dinged Xbox's reputation, although the fact that the Xbox 360 recently celebrated its 26th consecutive month as the world's best selling console certainly indicates that gamers don't hold a grudge over it. All is forgiven, it seems, but perhaps not forgotten, as Microsoft's Phil Spencer this week referred back to the Red Ring Of Death to reassure gamers that it's learnt valuable lessons since then.

[smg id=2951]

Speaking with Edge Online, the head of Microsoft Studios said that the company learned a lot from the Red Ring Of Death, and is "confident" that the new Xbox One, announced earlier this week, won't face the same hardware woes as its predecessor.

"The last Xbox was Trinity [the Xbox 360 S] and our success rate on Trinity was very high," Spencer said. "We learned a ton from the 360 launch and we took care of our customers with the extended warranty, but I think Trinity is telling." He added: "Xbox One is built by the same Trinity team with the same learning that went from the Xbox 360 into Trinity, and I'm confident in the quality of the new box

source:http://www.neowin.net/news/no-red-ring-of-death-style-disasters-for-xbox-one-says-microsoft
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 08:21:43 AM by Rodent »

Tracey: I cant believe Rodent of all people made my damn day
3D0: snacks cartoons and naps  lol sounds like rodents typcial day :rofl:
Rodent consoles mods

Offline The End of A Heartache

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • Mr. Martinez
Trinity board then awesome

But will have to see about the "no more RroD" I am suspicous
...emo freak out! >.< ........

random is fun

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • Research & Development
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
  • Electronics Expert Electrical Engineer
I'm expecting the Xbox One's PCB to be three or more millimeters thick with a sturdy retention plate under the CPU.

The Xbox 360 PCB design was pathetic. Poor board thickness, X-clamps, and no real reinforcement under the chips. The motherboard as we all know warped after time.

Follow my Instagram and subscribe to my YouTube

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • Mr. Martinez
Supposedly it will be water cooled no ducts to direct air. This is what they said on there link site about the "One", so This will be interesting to see. From the break down photo that Toadzilla posted, looks like same old same old case, Similar to the one on a slim but the board is long, PC standard its a regular ATX while the SLIM was a Micro ATX, The phat was between this two board length. I am hoping it will be thicker and no x-clamp. Reason on the phat this was why it failed  because of no board support the screws that helps the x-clamp to the case made the entire board bow which is why the RroD happened on the phat. I want to see the underside of the case I want to know if they will be using x-clamps or maybe use a pressure plate and thicker thermal pads.

random is fun

Offline ViSioNXx

• Global Moderator
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • PC Guru
From what I read it would be TEC cooled. I would still think that it would need some air flow to remove the heat from the hot side of the tec. I dont think we can really tell any details until the final revision is showed at E3.

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
Fookz is probably alot closer then you guys are by the looks of this i see a large fan and heat sync..

also here is pic i posted in another thread suprised no one commented on when it was revealed

From what I read it would be TEC cooled. I would still think that it would need some air flow to remove the heat from the hot side of the tec. I dont think we can really tell any details until the final revision is showed at E3.
LIke to see your INFO on this cause I have been keeping up todate on it and looks like Toadzilla showed alot of proof of what he has posted , SO untill E3 shows different i don't see it happening.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 06:48:28 PM by Rodent »

Rodent consoles mods

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • Mr. Martinez
Sorry Rodent I didn't see the image you posted I am looking at it now glad to see the possible what connection is what. It is most likely a prototype board to have Error code readout LED on the board itself under where the optical drive sits. But yeah like Vision says they will revision most likely to improve the look slim down weight and maybe give out new spec update. The prototype board has a lot of connections. I know  the main two one for HDD the other for the optical drive and the fan. The rest 3 connection I am drawing blanks. Maybe bluetooth and improved Wifi card??? I doubt on the bluetooth
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 06:07:13 PM by The End of A Heartache »

random is fun

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
mainly looking at the 2 pics together now you can see what goes where and what powers which. one is for sata hdd and the dvd drive and 2 sata ports , one for fans and the other i am sure is for front panel screen as i have show in pics and I doubt it will be water cooled  in anyway due to the amount of cost this will cost , just as the orignal xbox and the xbox 360 they price was $299  with standard 20gb hdd  and a 16gb hdd or 8gb hdd for orignal xbox.     Now in order to sell this i can see the price range being about $399 with the kinects and the 500gb , there trying to keep it to a affordable cost so that every xbox  , xbox 360 owner will replace theres with Xbox 1 its only common sense to keep it priced affordable so that everyone gets one. and I am sure they left room for improvements and special edition consoles as they have for Original xbox like halo xbox,  Xbox , 360 elite, xbox halo 3 console etc. so on and more. being that the new call of duty Ghost is coming out in November i am sure this console will be up and ready for sale by then.   Also being on the Market for Black Friday!

Rodent consoles mods

Offline Gizmo613

• MFH
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +17/-0
  • Acidmods User
I Wonder What The Exposed Pin Headers Are For? The One Under The 7 Caps On The Top Right Of The Second Pic.

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
I Wonder What The Exposed Pin Headers Are For? The One Under The 7 Caps On The Top Right Of The Second Pic.
I am sure its for M$ since this was probably pics for a prototype when they wrote the nand or software for the mother board , i don't believe they will be on the retail xbox one

Rodent consoles mods

Offline Gizmo613

• MFH
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +17/-0
  • Acidmods User
Re: No 'Red Ring Of Death'-style disasters for Xbox One, says Microsoft
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2013, 07:46:32 AM »
That Would Be Too Convenient. Lol

Offline ViSioNXx

• Global Moderator
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • PC Guru
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2013, 07:58:15 AM »
I am keeping my mouth shut until E3. They messed us up with the whole name thing and even popular blogs and such are not saying that these are final revisions. I will just hope for the best.

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2013, 08:11:56 AM »
I am keeping my mouth shut until E3. They messed us up with the whole name thing and even popular blogs and such are not saying that these are final revisions. I will just hope for the best.
Being that Microsoft Revealed it publicly  I doubt they will change the name or anything now unless its software related...  I believe that the only reason that slims had a issue was they had come out with a new style xbox , and if you look at the corona motherboards , not too many of them red dot mainly the trinity boards had issues, only issues i have seen with corona's  is alot of dvd drive laser failure  which was common with jaspers... Jasper motherboards were the best console ever made , very few got red rings, when they did it was due to people adding mods that didnt know how to solder or jtag them. or recently known how to rgh them

Rodent consoles mods

Offline ViSioNXx

• Global Moderator
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • PC Guru
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2013, 08:34:16 AM »
I am saying that about the layout of the mobo ect.. I just have a sneaky suspicion that the final will not have as many connections. also not thinking the status display will be on the retail.  Never know though...

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • Research & Development
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
  • Electronics Expert Electrical Engineer
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2013, 07:19:40 PM »
I am saying that about the layout of the mobo ect.. I just have a sneaky suspicion that the final will not have as many connections. also not thinking the status display will be on the retail.  Never know though...

Those are good assumptions because the parts have already served their purpose in development. They want to keep the final production cost down.

This gives me interesting ideas already about soldering my own 7-segment displays on that fool and probing around the motherboard with my o-scope (:
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 07:20:22 PM by FOOKz™ »

Follow my Instagram and subscribe to my YouTube

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2013, 06:01:31 AM »
the connections are all needed . that are shown. only thing that will probably not be on there is the pin headers.

Those are good assumptions because the parts have already served their purpose in development. They want to keep the final production cost down.

This gives me interesting ideas already about soldering my own 7-segment displays on that fool and probing around the motherboard with my o-scope (:
the 7 segment displays probably will not be on the retail consoles

Rodent consoles mods

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal