Author Topic: Need help with this design  (Read 2551 times)

Offline Random9190

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Need help with this design
« on: November 16, 2014, 11:19:53 AM »
Alright so i'm a little new to this type of stuff. However, would it be possible to just code a microcontroller(without a PCB) with around 16 pins to be able to remap the function on a tact switch. i.e. I have a tact switch that when pressed would perform the action of the X button on a Xbox controller, however after clicking another tact I would be able to make the original tact perform the action of the B button.

Also, for a battery internalization mod can someone link a good tutorial with a lithium ion battery(looked around for a few but nothing seemed to have enough detail and pictures)?

Is it possible to put an Xbox One Thumbstick on a Xbox 360 controller?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 11:36:26 AM by Random9190 »

Offline Demonboy

• MFH
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • hunterish
Re: Need help with this design
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 01:11:29 PM »
im a hardware guy so im not 100% on the 1st question although it sounds doable based on the things i have seen done by ppl that know coding... as your ur 2nd question... dude youtube and google are ur friend... but i was new once too so here you go, "everybody gets one" so to speak lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48hYyMrORN8

lol look at this crap u can get like 5 bucks a day for doing  poop http://adf.ly/2Knsr

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 02:09:04 PM »
The button remapping is perfectly doable, but no PCB just means more of a mess when installing it plus taking up more room.  https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,43205.0.html

The XB1 Sticks will not fit on the PCB of the 360 controller without some modification there as they are a good bit smaller, but, the caps will technically fit on the 360 Sticks. You will need to also install a shaft spacer ~3mm or so or the cap will slide down too far and not be able to move as the 'skirt' of the cap will hit the POTs, as well as the cap hitting the shell, but that's also perfectly doable.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline Random9190

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 02:34:15 PM »
The button remapping is perfectly doable, but no PCB just means more of a mess when installing it plus taking up more room.  https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,43205.0.html

The XB1 Sticks will not fit on the PCB of the 360 controller without some modification there as they are a good bit smaller, but, the caps will technically fit on the 360 Sticks. You will need to also install a shaft spacer ~3mm or so or the cap will slide down too far and not be able to move as the 'skirt' of the cap will hit the POTs, as well as the cap hitting the shell, but that's also perfectly doable.

Thank you both for the quick answers.

As long as there is enough pins I should not need a specific microcontroller right?

Offline Demonboy

• MFH
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • hunterish
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 02:48:53 PM »
sure thing man, also if u want to leave the battery back on there u can hollow it out and then u have that room to add more chips or w/e u want to add inside lol

lol look at this crap u can get like 5 bucks a day for doing  poop http://adf.ly/2Knsr

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 02:53:00 PM »
Depends on how the MCUs pins are multiplexed, what controller version you're using as well as which functions exactly you're after.

An MCU with 16 pins has at least 2 already used for power and ground, so you're down to 14, then it's never a good idea to close off your programming pins unless you have all of the kinks worked out, and even then it's still not a grand idea, which would be 2 or 3 pins needed for that, so now you're down to 11 or 12 free pins. It's always better to go a little bigger than you think you'll need there, as you almost always have to go up in MCU size when picking one that you think will be large enough to do the job.

For the 360 wireless CG versions of controller, it's all Common Ground for the buttons, not talking Triggers or Sticks as those are Analog and then you have to get into using the ADC of the MCU and DACs for output, but for just the buttons you only need Digital IO pins to do all of that.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline Random9190

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 03:37:16 PM »
Depends on how the MCUs pins are multiplexed, what controller version you're using as well as which functions exactly you're after.

An MCU with 16 pins has at least 2 already used for power and ground, so you're down to 14, then it's never a good idea to close off your programming pins unless you have all of the kinks worked out, and even then it's still not a grand idea, which would be 2 or 3 pins needed for that, so now you're down to 11 or 12 free pins. It's always better to go a little bigger than you think you'll need there, as you almost always have to go up in MCU size when picking one that you think will be large enough to do the job.

For the 360 wireless CG versions of controller, it's all Common Ground for the buttons, not talking Triggers or Sticks as those are Analog and then you have to get into using the ADC of the MCU and DACs for output, but for just the buttons you only need Digital IO pins to do all of that.

Just looked at the controller, it is CG2. The only buttons I will need the ability to remap will be the A,B,X,Y Bumpers and One of the D-Pad buttons, then connections for the 4 Tacts plus maybe a connection to change the mode of the tacts. So I think around 20 pins if the majority are IO?

sure thing man, also if u want to leave the battery back on there u can hollow it out and then u have that room to add more chips or w/e u want to add inside lol

I want to put the back of a wired on so I could have a four tact's with paddles instead of two. :) Thanks for the idea though.

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 03:41:50 PM »
A 20 pin PIC (17 IO) is all I used on the miniM4pper and I have access to all 8 Digital buttons, 4 Tacts for remapping, a Mode button, LED for feedback and still have my programming pins free, so it's more than big enough for what you want to do there.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 03:45:53 PM by RDC »

Offline Random9190

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 03:43:46 PM »
A 20 pin PIC (17 IO) is all I used on the miniM4pper and I have access to all 8 Digital buttons, 4 Tacts for remapping, a Mode button and LED for feedback, so it's more than big enough for what you want to do there.

Alright thanks, did you write the code in C/C++ or something else?

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2014, 03:47:45 PM »
It was all done with mikroC PRO for PIC.

Offline Random9190

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2014, 03:53:53 PM »
It was all done with mikroC PRO for PIC.
Alright, thank you for all the help, sorry if i got annoying.

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2014, 03:56:26 PM »
Nope, everyone has to start somewhere or needs a hand along the way at some point.

Offline Demonboy

• MFH
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • hunterish
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2014, 06:42:05 PM »
Nope, everyone has to start somewhere or needs a hand along the way at some point.

he's right man, everyone has to start somewhere i chose to go more hardware and what not, i dont have the patience to sit there for coding... but i make some of the cleanest hard mods :), just stick with it you will get there.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal