Author Topic: Some various Questions about PS4 DS4 pads.  (Read 1525 times)

Offline osemoka

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Some various Questions about PS4 DS4 pads.
« on: April 09, 2019, 04:23:45 PM »
Hello.
I have some questions here about ds4 pads. I tried to repair some pads from my colleagues and I've encountered some problems.

1. During repair of jds-055 version pad I somehow damaged it even more ;/ . I've replaced damaged analogstick, but when i was assembling the pad back, unfortunatelly i connected Flex cable 12 PIN other way around. Then i connected pad by usb and something strange happened. I realized that my battery was getting very hot, but as far as i remember led light was off. I unplugged it, and realized that my ds4 couldn't boot wirelessly too. I found out that the flex cable was connected other way around and changed it back to a proper position. Now ds4 works only connected via usb and it can't boot wirelessly.  I charged battery via laboratory charger to 4v from 3.8v, cause i thought that somehow my pad lost its ability to charge the pad(i think the fact it did charge and showed good voltage is an evidence that the battery is not the reason of failure). Ds4 still didn't turn on wirelessly. I checked another usb charging port, but it too couldn't charge the battery. In both cases of charging ports, ds4 worked but couldn't charge. The was orange light blinking then fading away for some time like a minute. Over and over with no evidence of charging. Now...i tried to boot up the ds4 by connecting laboratory charger into battery plugging place to "emulate" battery. It didn't work and it showed that the current went very high and the voltage was dropping. My friend said that it's an evidence that the PCB might be damaged, but we couldn't locate and define where or how.
I must add that i checked ps button and it turns on the pad and I am able to connect it via bluetooth when im connected to a separate charger, not pc itself.

So the question is. Are we right about this assumption ? Is there anything I can do to boot my ds4 wirelessly ? Exchange something ? But what? It seems it's not the battery nor charging port. Ds4 just can't drain power from battery anymore and I don't know why.

2. Is it possible to get those little whiite part used for connectiion of flex cable ? I can't find it anywhere. I can't even name it. I attached a photo of it. Maybe some alternative part? I lost one during repair. I checked it in another ds4 and its extratible and compatible :D. Still missing one...

3. While examinating another pad and reassembling it. My trackpad stopped working partially...Clicking works, but when i move it doesn't move my mouse coursor anymore. I thought that i didn't connect the flex cable properly, but why clicking it is detected.I'm using ds4windows to run it on PC.

4. I want to buy jdm-030 housing shell and montage pleat. I've got working PCB, but plastic is seriously damaged. I found montage pleat, but cant find the housing. Are any other housings compatible with it? Checked my jdm-055 housing and it was not ;/.

Is it even right place to ask about such things? If not, tell me where can i ask about them.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 04:25:53 PM by osemoka »

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
Re: Some various Questions about PS4 DS4 pads.
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 09:05:40 PM »
1 - Plugging the 12 pin FFC cable in backwards, into the controller side connector, will not cause anything to be damaged or even happen, as that connector only has contacts on one side of it. Now if you plugged the FFC cable into the little USB/LED board backwards, it has contacts on both sides, then you pretty much just short the USB 5v and again nothing should have been damaged. The battery getting hot makes no sense in either case there.

The JDM-055 is pretty much integrated into 2 ICs, the smaller one handing the power management, then the larger one doing everything else, neither one replaceable unless you were to get them from another -055 board.

2 - That is an FFC connector, Flat Flex Cable connector. 12 pin, SMT. 0.5mm pitch. Something like the Molex 0781191128 should work. https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/molex/0781191128/WM20468CT-ND/8638615

3 - The TrackPad click button is not part of the flex cable, that button is on the PCB, so it would still work even if the flex cable were unplugged.

4 - The JDM-030 shell is the only one that will work with that version board. You can try eBay maybe.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline osemoka

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 03:08:46 AM »
Thanks very much for the answers!!

1 - Plugging the 12 pin FFC cable in backwards, into the controller side connector, will not cause anything to be damaged or even happen, as that connector only has contacts on one side of it. Now if you plugged the FFC cable into the little USB/LED board backwards, it has contacts on both sides, then you pretty much just short the USB 5v and again nothing should have been damaged. The battery getting hot makes no sense in either case there.

So...What can be the reason ds4 can't take current from battery ? ;/. There's one more reason it don't work. When I was soldering and exchanging analog stick i could mess something up on pcb while making a scratch on it with soldering iron?

Are there any availabe schemes of jdm-030 housing shells? I could print it in 3d printer
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 03:26:21 AM by osemoka »

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 08:13:50 PM »
If you scratched the board then it is hard to tell what could be damaged or what might happen. I don't have it here to look at. 

There are no files for printing your own DS4 shell that I'm aware of.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal