Author Topic: JDM 055 x2 with similar question... stick Test Points ?  (Read 1316 times)

Offline theADDict

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
JDM 055 x2 with similar question... stick Test Points ?
« on: November 11, 2020, 06:51:49 AM »
Hey RDC and acid headz.

two jdm055, both with horizontal axis problems.

coming from mostly xbox one controller repairing, does the ds4 have similar TP Test points to check for damaged pads/connections ?

horizontal axis, right stick on one controller, left on the other
looking at the board I think not, but alternative solder points/test points/diagram for centre pin appreciated

:dntknw:

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
Re: JDM 055 x2 with similar question... stick Test Points ?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2020, 08:41:12 AM »
All of the Analog lines pretty much run straight to the MCU, with a via here or there, but no easy to get at TP spots.

https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,44645.0.html
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline theADDict

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2020, 09:21:12 AM »
Thanks for the swift reply mate.

Controller with Right stick issue...fixed with some fibre glass pen action and thin wire.

other controller, doesnt seem to have any broken pads/traces, so soldered another pot for LS horizontal....but now both sticks showing stuck in top left when testing with https://gamepad-tester.com/    i.e No movement at all
I seem to of made things worse.

ideas ?

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2020, 09:42:00 AM »
Both sticks stuck up/left I'd suspect the 3.2v rail for the sticks isn't connected. I'd wager you pulled the plating out of the hole at the left stick there, right side hole of the X-axis POT. Still leaves plenty of solder pad on the bottom for it to look good and soldered, but no plating in there for the trace to get from the top to the bottom means none of the 4 POTs, and one of the MCU pins, have any 3.2v to work properly.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline wickated

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +0/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2020, 01:44:25 PM »
u removed old pots by cold iron and damaged holes. they are connected on both sides. clean them from mask with knife and presolder both bottom side and top.

Offline theADDict

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2020, 08:52:19 AM »
MUCH thanks RDC and wickated, your advice made me open the thing up again and go in for a third time.

x and y both moving fine now, disconnect was on the top side, under pot.
but third replacement pot still not good enough for me
going to replace whole stick as spring back to centre isn't sharp and reliable enough either

advice on best replacement sticks for DS4 ??

got literally hundreds of different cheap chinese replacement sticks here, some I prefer for xb1, others I think better for DS4 when I do one....not that often.

thanks again

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2020, 05:51:58 PM »
Depends if they are the Green or Orange ones, as those things aren't interchangeable. Seems like the DS4s have gotten much worse than they used to be, even the new ones right out of the box can have some excessive drift, so no matter what you put in there they have to be screwed with it seems.

Offline wickated

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +0/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2020, 07:07:46 AM »
Depends if they are the Green or Orange ones, as those things aren't interchangeable.
they are.
1) if u seek for good ALPS (green) stick check that alps engrave is sharp bold not deep. and wahers dont have 2 long spikes in center
2) if u seek orange ones, they must have big F print instead of alps. orange are two types - with bold plastik shafts(in newer 55models) and with metal ones. washers in those two are different - from metal suits to alps sticks, and bold plastic dont suit.
3) washers from metal orange suits to green pots and vice versa
4) orange pots suits in ALPS stick, but green pots dont suit on Favorshine stick
5) latest info says that resistance of pots doesnt mean anything. actual mess comes from mechacial centering of springed stick and washers alignment. so mechanical calibration is still best solution.
ill add photos later

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal