Author Topic: JDM-055 strange orange (or yellow ?) flashing light of death???  (Read 1082 times)

Offline MadMaxGR

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
JDM-055 strange orange (or yellow ?) flashing light of death???
« on: October 17, 2020, 01:03:43 PM »
A customer brought to me an JDM-055 PS4 controller to replace the right analog which was drifting. Usually I try to clean the potentiometers first, but in this case didn't work, so I have to replace it with another original ALPS analog.

I did it, using electrical de-soldering pump with minimum stress on the pcb. I am sure I didn't make any damage on it. I am experienced doing this job. All components look in place.

After that the controller stopped connecting, neither charging, just flashes two times orange/yellow and turns off.

I have used a USB amp meter to check if the controllers get charged. Nothing, the AMP is not going over 0.26A while pressing the PS button. I have replaced the USB port too. Same issue.

Also I have noticed that when I press the PS button and the controller flashes, the Voltage drops down to 4.62V which I believe is indication of a short at 5V power rail...

Check the attached images for more.

Any help or idea is highly appreciated, it is the first time I see such problem on a PS4 controller.

Offline wickated

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +0/-1
  • Acidmods User
Re: JDM-055 strange orange (or yellow ?) flashing light of death???
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2020, 03:54:21 PM »
what drain is without battery?
2 flash means battery dead if other things work
0,26a is pretty much normal charge rate.

Offline LethalPrime

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2020, 04:58:34 PM »
The ribbon cable is damaged, if the ends look undamaged then there?s a micro tear within the part covered in white and it probably only works folded down in a specific way that causes the micro tear to still make contact like it?s not there.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 04:59:04 PM by LethalPrime »

Offline MCorgano

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2020, 07:56:48 AM »
Check your solder job, i know a power rail (forget if it's 3v3 or 4v7) gets fed directly to the pots, and if you've shorted the power rail to ground it could easily explain the controller shutting off. Make sure to clean it thoroughly with some iso or similar cleaner,

The FPC ribbon cable i have yet to see fail from bending, but you can check the gold contacts on the ends. They sometimes get bent and could short things as well.

Offline MadMaxGR

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2020, 11:21:38 AM »
So... I have tried all you have said, and at first I had the same results. I even de-soldered the analog to be sure it is not causing any short.

After long of try and errors, I found the issue. Eventually the fault was the battery. Yes... a bad battery can cause it. At first the battery I used to replace the one was faulty too, I didn't know that because last time I checked it, it was working fine. I used another from working controller, and all fine now.

P.S. normal Voltage draw is 0.26A-0.29A, so basically it was trying to charge but was "blocked" by the faulty battery.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 11:23:12 AM by MadMaxGR »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal