Author Topic: Thumbstick exact model numbers  (Read 1999 times)

Offline MCorgano

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-1
  • Acidmods User
Thumbstick exact model numbers
« on: March 01, 2021, 10:14:05 PM »
Anyone know the exact model number of the thumbstick modules on ps4 controllers? The model number I would use if i was ordering them from a real supplier like digikey. Next to where it says alps is a large area that looks like where the model number would be but it's usually laser etched or ground off. Does anyone know what they are?

I'm also wondering what model numbers the astro c40 sticks and xbox one sticks use. It's there a website somewhere that had a big list of which controllers use which sticks? What modules do you guys use in repairs?

Offline LethalPrime

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User
Re: Thumbstick exact model numbers
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 02:36:28 AM »
Digikey only sells C&K brand

Offline wickated

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +0/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 11:58:46 PM »
green ones are  Alps Alpine RKJXV1224005
orange ones are Polyshine FR10K

xbox and switchpro use semicustom alps with different pad height
xbox elite 2 also use custom alps

all available on wellknown chinese market
c&k is not manufacturer, just reseller
astro c40 use standard ones, so u can replace with both green or orange
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 12:08:14 AM by wickated »

Offline MCorgano

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2021, 11:24:27 PM »
This was very useful. I was hoping this would set me on the right path to finding out one of these manufacturers had a longer life unit I could order, but it appears in both cases the units shipping in the ps4 controllers are top of the line at 2 million cycles. Hurm....

I find that sweat, grime, and pet hair play a huge part in how long the pots on the thumbsticks last. Is there like, an IP rated version somewhere? The more sealed the sensors are the less people to sweat they'd be.

In my exploration of this rabbit hole I discovered the dreamcast used magnetic sticks - :censored:ing brilliant. No moving parts to break, except like the spring? But that must move back the average time to failure by quite a bit. Asking around I find very few people that claim the dreamcast controller sticks die on them, but the system wasnt very successful to begin with so I can't make any solid conclusions. Has anyone tried to modify a ps4 controller to take dreamcast sticks?

Also wondering if anyone has found something like a holy grail thumbstick unit that costs more but lasts significantly longer. The thumbstick modules I can find all seem to be the same on paper, but most people prefer alps ones for some reason. Also what do you mean by the xbox modules being custom / what does pad height mean?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 10:24:12 AM by MCorgano »

Offline wickated

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +0/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2021, 10:37:13 AM »
2 million cycles.
for button press
In my exploration of this rabbit hole I discovered the dreamcast used magnetic sticks
first dualshock3 used them too. u can buy them on ebay for 15$ per one. no grail for anyone - even those had axles teared to dust after years.
only viable solution is thumbstick module with ribbon cable connection, like it is in nintendo switch, or in some ds3

what do you mean by the xbox modules being custom / what does pad height mean?
thumbsticks for ds4 have posts on bottom pad. xbox ones have flat bottom. so if u want to place standard alps in xbox u should cut posts off.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 10:44:19 AM by wickated »

Offline LethalPrime

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2021, 01:36:40 PM »
Those blue bottoms fit Xbox controllers just fine too. The posts dont stick as far out when soldering but imo this is a benefit cuz you wont lift the pads next time it needs to be replaced. They dont interfere with the outer shell fitment at all if you dont bother grinding the bottom posts off. That is if theyre not really bad quality copies like the ones mostly sold on amazon.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 01:43:13 PM by LethalPrime »

Offline MCorgano

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2023, 01:23:53 AM »
I know this thread is slightly old but I didn't want to create a new thread for the same purpose. Does anyone have an exact model for the ps5 sticks? Do they use the same sticks as ps4? If not, what is the difference? Has anyone seen polyshine sticks on ps5 controllers yet (I have yet to at this point)

Also UPDATE FROM THE FUTURE!

Magnetic sticks like I suggested are now available from Gulikit, but not for ps4. The placement of the magnetic sensor on the pcb instead of on the side of the stick makes drop in replacements impossible. Sticks for joycons ARE available though and are reportedly fantastic although expensive.

Offline Kraaz

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2023, 01:46:28 PM »
Orijinal alps seller, currently Alps producing 10 kohm gray ones.:

https://eu.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Alps-Alpine/RKJXV122400R?qs=GedFDFLaBXEbB%252ByoOVwLBg%3D%3D

And this should be 2.3 Kohm:

https://eu.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Alps-Alpine/RKJXV1220001?qs=hqbSiJllDNNfV%252B28uKztxA%3D%3D

Anyway they both fitting to PS4 and PS5
« Last Edit: April 05, 2023, 01:52:05 PM by Kraaz »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal