Author Topic: xbox cold cathode underglow installation tutorial by ryan0  (Read 2478 times)

Offline ryan0

• I EAT STUFF
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • I LIEK CHEEEEZE
xbox cold cathode underglow installation tutorial by ryan0
« on: January 01, 2008, 02:06:47 PM »
here is my cold cathode/neon underglow tutorial for the xbox,in this particular tut i used the most popular brand of neon lighting sunbeamtech,which can be bought almost everywhere,even here in ireland!the sound reactive tut is coming soon i just have to pop in to radionics and buy some ic's,this is a simple mod but be really careful and insulate your soldering well or face total xbox destruction,have fun and happy modding!

1st of all you have to prepare your inverter so it can fit inside the xbox case,basically carefully remove the casing to expose the unit,then mask with electrical tape preferrably or similar,i have taken a few shocks from this thing and believe me it is masty,it actually burnt into my skin where i had bridged it,anyways do it like the pic:

then you have to prepare your xbox case for the wiring so it will let the case sit fully down without resting on the wire,which could lead to the wire being cut and causing a catastrophic short,cut a nick like the following in the side of the case with a dremel preferrably or as a last resort a soldering iron,do it about 3 inches from the back because any further and you wont be able to reach your inverter!file down once cut (not shown)

next you have to hook up your inverter to the power,which in this tut is the hdd power lead,its fine to use as there is mor than enough current to go round,its best to solder near the connector so u do not use as much wire:

wire it up to the inverters input power connector like so (yellow left,black right),

tuck the inverter in behind the dvd drive:

thread the cold cathode plug through the nick in the case:

put the case back on and proceed in gluing the cathode to wherever you have chosen on the xbox,i chose under the front:

your done!well,if you want to be super clean,heatshrink the wires and glue them to the side of the case,but other than that LOOK AT THAT :censored: GLOW!!!:

thanks for looking,plz +k me if u like this tut!!!!!
ryan0

Derp.

Offline FreeK

• a-LeeK
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • Team CYBER for life
Re: xbox cold cathode underglow installation tutorial by ryan0
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 02:26:46 PM »
nice tut, pics werent really clear but it shows its points, ill problly do it once i get some cold cathodes, unless i dont have the other supplies, then ill just do a seperate external power

Offline ryan0

• I EAT STUFF
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • I LIEK CHEEEEZE
Re: xbox cold cathode underglow installation tutorial by ryan0
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 03:29:56 PM »
sorry about the pics not being good quality my dad broke the digital camera and i'm stook with my 1.3mp phone...which kinda sucks.....alot :D:D
Derp.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal