Author Topic: The Ds Charger USB mod :D  (Read 4842 times)

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
The Ds Charger USB mod :D
« on: January 27, 2008, 06:32:04 PM »
After weeks of searching, I finally found the guide used to make your DS charger, USB compatible. What does that mean? In short, you can use it to connect your charger to the computer and save yourself a few dollars rather then buying one somewhere else, and you can also do it to your car charger as well :). I might make a tut of it just to keep it here in AM, but the real credit goes to Dilldoe (lolz to the name)

http://dilldoe.blogspot.com/2006/10/ds-lite-ac-adapter-usb-mod.html
Proud to be a: -Yugioh Player -ITG/DDR/PIU Player -Furry Fanatic - Knife Thrower -All around awesome guy :D

Offline Timmy

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User
Re: The Ds Charger USB mod :D
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 12:42:32 AM »
haha i wouldn't have thought to mod the actual transformer part, thats smart. i just modded my cable, bit untidy and easier but still works well ;) hang on pics coming

And to prove its not fake heres a pic with my user name, the unit off (see the screen) and the cable running into it, bridged the charging led's resistor to make it nice and bright

If i ever get another charger ill make a tut but the easiest possible way is to cut the usb cable and the ds charger cable right near the transformer and strip them both, solder black wire to black wire red wire to red and your done, insulate and shrink wrap both wires to avoid shorting and electrocution
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 12:53:49 AM by TimmyDX »

Offline kink192

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 09:46:42 AM »
didnt pspkicks316 make a tut for the cable mod. but now im interested in doing that since i have an extra charger floarting around and usb extension cables as well, all in my room so ill attempt it
It's been a long time

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 12:05:58 PM »
Heh perfect :P, if anything you can use the extra bit of cable just to have it on the charger. It has saved me in finding a new outlet, the thing is like 6 feet of cable XD. Btw, nice ds :P. The only thing I haven't done which I'm still scared to try is to charge my other USB-related items, I'm guessing a multimeter can help me out, but I'm still having trouble remembering terms XD
Proud to be a: -Yugioh Player -ITG/DDR/PIU Player -Furry Fanatic - Knife Thrower -All around awesome guy :D

Offline decy90

• Chaos Lover
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 01:06:01 PM »
i like it, ive done a USB charger mod but i wouldnt try to use the other end with to charge your USBdevices, i tried with an MP3 player and now it doesnt charge at all  :huh:

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 01:32:17 PM »
Weeeee, pics up!!!

Offline decy90

• Chaos Lover
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 01:41:04 PM »
good job man but question... does this particular method work with the UK 3 pronged wall plug? i dont know if there is any difference between modding the US and UK versions

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 04:51:57 PM »
That's cool.And yea kammokaze, I did it, and so did Aricado. Not sure if I made a tut...I don't think so, I only explained it. And this one is for the DSL. It's the same exact thing though.

Good job anyway man!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 12:18:57 PM by pspkicks316 »

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 06:58:48 PM »
Deda, I think you have to make an adjusment but I THINK it's possible. If anything it could be done for UK but then I wouldn't know if it gets affected in like US places with the whole 110 220 or 120 240 thing. If you're willing to, cut it open and tell me which cables does it have, the one in mine had green, white, red and black, and you only need red and white from the USB cable, and red and black from the charger.

Offline Timmy

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 02:17:01 AM »
I'm not being arrogant her seikene (or sure if this is what you meant :P) but theres a reason its called Universal Serial Bus

Also in USB signals there here are the 4:

Pin    Name    Cable colour    Description
1    VCC       Red                    +5V
2    D−        White             Data −
3    D+       Green             Data +
4    GND      Black            Ground

Although it worked for you the white cable is definitely NOT the best choice for a power negative, the black one is a ground, just a strait negative and thats its purpose, the white one IS a negative for data transmission.

Also thats why the cable is a better choice then modding the transformer, not only is it easier, it is universal, it will work ANYWHERE as long as there is a computer or Transformer with a USB Port

Offline MARIOPARTY53

• I DONT FAIL
  • BANNED
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pc Gaming Rules
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 02:47:55 PM »
That's cool.And yea Mario, I did it, and so did Aricado. Not sure if I made a tut...I don't think so, I only explained it. And this one is for the DSL. It's the same exact thing though.

Good job anyway man!
i didnt even post in this topic and you said mario, Im guessing thats me :p

and yea, I wanted to do this, but dont wanna at the same time
However today I was brutally raped by a door handle, and none of my friends helped me up off the floor after ten minutes, instead they all teabaged me, all 10 of them...

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2008, 05:11:09 PM »
Ermm Timmy mate, I never used the white one, I cut the white and green one out, and used the red and black, if that's what you meant. Gonna check my post if I accidentally said white. >.<

Offline Timmy

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2008, 05:13:18 PM »
Deda, I think you have to make an adjusment but I THINK it's possible. If anything it could be done for UK but then I wouldn't know if it gets affected in like US places with the whole 110 220 or 120 240 thing. If you're willing to, cut it open and tell me which cables does it have, the one in mine had green, white, red and black, and you only need red and white from the USB cable, and red and black from the charger.

easy enough mistake lol

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2008, 05:29:38 PM »
Bleh yeh I meant the other color, but for the charger it is red and black, just in case anyone got confused over that, red and black :D

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2008, 12:19:55 PM »
I connected the red and black from the charger to the red and clack form the USB and it worked perfectly fine...

Offline Timmy

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2008, 06:01:46 PM »
thats our point pspkicks, he just accidentally said white from the USB cable instead of black just as you just accidentally said "clack" from the USB cable  :taunt:

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2008, 02:56:51 PM »
:O
Wow. Yea that's and interesting mistake on my part. lmao

Offline Timmy

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2008, 03:24:53 PM »
yeag pluqse  conbect clack wier kthxbai

Offline decy90

• Chaos Lover
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2008, 11:05:17 AM »
i just did this a little more properly with a UK plug. thanks for the mod idea :D :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal