Author Topic: im clueless and i need help  (Read 3504 times)

Offline rhcp28

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
im clueless and i need help
« on: February 10, 2008, 06:10:35 PM »
I am new to am, and modding all together, and i am a complete newb with software. I did some research, but i still need massive help.

Here are some questions that i would like answered:
What is homebrew?
What is pandoras battery?
Is it posible to have more than one firmware, with a changing system?
How do you put umd's on a harddrive?
Is it possible to play ps2 or ps(not from ps stre) on your psp?
How do you create your own theme?
What is m33?

These are the questions on the top of my priority list, so i may have more in the future, but please be patient and help a desperate newbie out.

Thanks in advance! :tup:
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 06:13:59 PM by rhcp28 »

Offline Korlithiel

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
Re: im clueless and i need help
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 09:21:25 PM »
Homebrew, when referring to the PSP often it means programs for the PSP that have not been digitally signed by Sony.

To have more then one firmware installed on the PSP you need to install a modchip. Only way I know of, though most custom firmwares install a modified version of the latest firmware and allow you to install the 1.50 kernal too.

From most custom firmwares you just change the USB device to UMD and then go into USB mode and copy it over to your comp.

Playstation games can be played on the PSP, either through a PS3 (using remote play), those bought from the Playstation store, or those converted and run on a PSP that is using a custom firmware.

March 33, just a name so people know that the firmware is a custom firmware and not the official firmware from Sony.

Hope those help, I didn't answer those I don't care to.

Offline rhcp28

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 09:00:32 AM »
Thanks alot!
i really appreciate it, now i understand how to do it a lot better :clap:

Offline Thorax

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 04:32:35 PM »
Homebrew, when referring to the PSP often it means programs for the PSP that have not been digitally signed by Sony.

To have more then one firmware installed on the PSP you need to install a modchip. Only way I know of, though most custom firmwares install a modified version of the latest firmware and allow you to install the 1.50 kernal too.

From most custom firmwares you just change the USB device to UMD and then go into USB mode and copy it over to your comp.

Playstation games can be played on the PSP, either through a PS3 (using remote play), those bought from the Playstation store, or those converted and run on a PSP that is using a custom firmware.

March 33, just a name so people know that the firmware is a custom firmware and not the official firmware from Sony.

Hope those help, I didn't answer those I don't care to.

Korlithiel did a pretty good job explaining them, but they aren't too accurate.

Homebrew is a user-created program that was not made by Sony.

You can use Dev Hook to have multiple firmwares on your PSP, although Custom Firmware (Created by Dark_AleX, you will be hearing about him a lot) is much better because the latest firmware and firmware 1.50 (That firmware lets you play homebrew) are combined into one firmware. It also has Recovery mode. This mode allows you to unbrick your PSP (Bricking is where your PSP firmware becomes corrupted) along with other features.

To rip UMDs and store them on your PSP is illegal, but you can do it by two methods:
1. Use the DAX UMD Ripper (Found on dark-alex.org) for custom firmwares 3.70 and below
2. Go into the XMB (The main menu of the PSP) and press SELECT. A menu will pop up and will have several options for different PSP functions. One of them is PSP UMD MODE. If you press over a couple of times while highlighting it, you will come to an option that reads "UMD".  Then just exit the menu by pressing select. Go to USB Connection. Then just drag and drop the files onto your computer and compress them.

Your not able to pl

Offline Korlithiel

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 07:13:18 PM »
The homebrew definition I gave is accurate to what I've heard many others, in particular homebrew devs, define it as.

Ripping UMDs and storing them for back-up on the memory stick isn't illegal in the USA or Canada. I am unsure about other countries though.

Your not able to pl?

As for Pandora's battery, here is some somewhat outdated information:
http://www.noobz.eu/joomla/news/pandoras-battery.html

Offline Thorax

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 05:17:50 PM »
The homebrew definition I gave is accurate to what I've heard many others, in particular homebrew devs, define it as.

Ripping UMDs and storing them for back-up on the memory stick isn't illegal in the USA or Canada. I am unsure about other countries though.

Your not able to pl?

As for Pandora's battery, here is some somewhat outdated information:
http://www.noobz.eu/joomla/news/pandoras-battery.html

I mean it isn't illegal to back up what you own, as long as you don't distribute it. This site doesn't like people talking about backing stuff up because what it can lead to (Redistributing for free), which happens to be illegal.

Your not able to pl?

My computer was having problems, so I posted what I had, and shut down my computer. I just haven't had time to finish it.

What I was saying was that you can not play PS2 games. You can play PS1 games, which you can either buy from the Playstation Online Store, buy them through a PS3, or by ripping them off of PS1 disks you already own. There is one more way, but it is illegal.

Sony released a Theme Creator for 3.71-3.90 firmwares, which you can use. Or you can make the theme and flash it directly to the Flash0 (The main software). I recommend the first way, because the second way can brick your PSP, meaning that you have to recover, then update to the latest firmware/custom firmware. If you are making a theme and you have a custom gameboot (The mini movie that plays before you start a game), you have to flash the custom gameboot, but all the icons you can make using the Theme Creator.

And finally, M33 is a name of Dark_AleX and his team. Dark_AleX said he was going to retire from creating custom firmware and owning Sony. Soon after he posted that on his website, a russian team called M33 sprung up and filled in for him. After several months had gone by, Dark_AleX revealed that he was in team M33 all along. He is still releasing his software/firmwares with his team, so that is why the resent firmwares are M33 and not OE.

Offline rhcp28

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 07:15:04 PM »
OMG! thank you so much for that! i realy appreciate it, but 1 more thing, after some research, i heard that in order to convert firmware to homebrew, you need a psp with homebrew already running, is it possible to do this without a psp with homebrew and only 1 psp?

Offline mootoo

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 12:41:33 PM »
Yes this is possible U need to do HW mod of a batterypack and create special formated MS (MMS)

Offline Thorax

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 01:52:26 PM »
OMG! thank you so much for that! i realy appreciate it, but 1 more thing, after some research, i heard that in order to convert firmware to homebrew, you need a psp with homebrew already running, is it possible to do this without a psp with homebrew and only 1 psp?

One of the ways to create Pandora involves making the memorystick (Like you have to do for all of them, so just go to here and download Despertar del Cementerio version 4). Then you get your battery and open it up. There is a chip somewhere. Find it and either break it off if you want to keep the battery as a Pandora one, or desolder it and carfully lift it off the board. Then just put the cover back on and use some tape to keep it from falling apart. And your done. Here are a couple of full tutorials which you should use as mine is not very detailed.
Pandora's Battery
Despertar del Cementerio version 4
Noob Guide (A combination of both guides)

Offline rhcp28

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 04:18:09 PM »
what about explosions, can you prevent them, and does it explode if the 5 and 6 pins touch or only if you keep it on the board to long, and how long is TOO long?
also, those sites you posted arent wotking for some reason, idk why
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 04:33:08 PM by rhcp28 »

Offline Thorax

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2008, 12:22:56 PM »
what about explosions, can you prevent them, and does it explode if the 5 and 6 pins touch or only if you keep it on the board to long, and how long is TOO long?
also, those sites you posted arent wotking for some reason, idk why

I think it only explodes if you hold it there too long. Just hold the iron there untill you can suck up the solder and move the pin. All of those sites are just links to the tutorial section of the site.

Offline rhcp28

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2008, 04:36:52 PM »
yay! it worked! :#1:

Offline Thorax

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2008, 07:08:55 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk