Author Topic: I Got bored...  (Read 2803 times)

Offline andy1337

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • It's Moe, Yo.
I Got bored...
« on: February 24, 2008, 01:18:50 PM »
And opened up my gameboy color.
Wired an Ultraviolet LED into it, turned it on, worked :D.
Pics up as soon as my camera works  :#1:

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
Re: I Got bored...
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 04:47:47 PM »
Your kidding right? Like did you put it into the Power LED? I've tried this with like 3 gameboy colors but once I place an LED there, it won't wanna work, including a random blue smd LED, a UV 3mm LED, and a 5mm red LED, in 3 gameboy colors. I'm not mad but I really would like to know how you did it if it was on the power LED. Btw good job on it and can't wait to see the pics :D
Proud to be a: -Yugioh Player -ITG/DDR/PIU Player -Furry Fanatic - Knife Thrower -All around awesome guy :D

Offline bacteria

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Games Console System Modder
    • Bacteria's site
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 01:10:28 PM »
This seems what a lot of people on this forum like to do, not proper console modding and hacking, just LEDs.   :dntknw:
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 01:12:56 PM by bacteria »

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 01:22:35 PM »
Meh mate, well if you think about it, this is something just about everyone can do, and it shows that you have the starting soldering and basic circuitry skills to begin on modding. I agree that just putting an LED doesn't really feel like a mod, but in a way, it still is. Trust me, if I had your smarts on real console modding and programming, then I'd go for it :P, but for now all I'm thinking on doing is a project for my ds that invovles a few added compomnents, and a project on my ps1 thatmight need serious programming which I have a lack of :P
Proud to be a: -Yugioh Player -ITG/DDR/PIU Player -Furry Fanatic - Knife Thrower -All around awesome guy :D

Offline MattZani

• Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Matthew Dear
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 01:23:36 PM »
you see bacteria, Hacking and Modding are different.

Hacking (Hardware Hacking atleast) is ripping something apart and making it better, adding screens, making it portable, combining it with other consoles.

Modding is where you take an existing console, and make it better or cooler, but keeping the general shape of the console, LED's are a popular option, Jewel's, Windows, Second nubs, all make the console asthetically or physically better, but you can still tell its a PSP, or PS2 what ever.
Retired Modder, minor dabbling from now on :P

Offline bacteria

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Games Console System Modder
    • Bacteria's site
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 10:25:41 AM »
In regards to game systems:

Modding is some basic stuff like changing a casing (or making one), LED swapping or adding, changing a casing colour; basic stuff where you don't do anything major, more cosmetic stuff.

Hacking is ripping stuff apart, dremeling it apart, using the bits you need and wiring it up into something meaningful.

For example with an N64:

Modding is colouring the casing, or changing the LED bulbs, using battery power, or removing the heatsinks and replacing with PC heatsinks; hacking is when you rip off the controller ports and the video port and the power port and solder your (other hacked stuff) to it, soldering wires directly from the controller to the memory card; relocating the cart slot; etc.

Hence, modding and hacking can easily be a dual approach to console modding.

Offline Canadajames

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 03:09:35 PM »
im hacking  a gamecube soon im know as dragonball345 on benheck since i used up canadajames trying to do like 5 registrations.

Ken i wouldnt have done it any other way
https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=15400.0

Offline decy90

• Chaos Lover
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 03:17:37 PM »
As far as this website goes the majority of people.. lower members/newer members all need to start off somewhere ... adding cosmetic changes however small can completly change your console.. which is always nice if it turns out well... however as you move up the ranks you see things like cybers guitar hero hack and other initiatives taken by members to create something new and interesting... what you speak of comes with experience bacteria.. you cant really expect people at say 13/14 to understand let alone be able to do some of the stuff you do... and i know your an older gentleman than us and so have had more time to learn what how stuff works etc... i think that alot of the modders here will turn out to be fantastic as modders/hackers or w/e they wanna do.. if they decide to do it.. i think the name of the site says it all tho acidMODS.com which basically means we like to mod... if it were acidHACKs that would be a different story :)

Thats my rant over :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal