Author Topic: Live and learn, or give up now?  (Read 2797 times)

Offline frleal

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
Live and learn, or give up now?
« on: March 27, 2008, 04:41:35 PM »
Ok guys, I'm feeling pretty stupid right now.  I know I'm a noob, but I felt I had this part down.  I'm trying to solder my analog directly to my mb, so I started to remove everything to get better access to the mb connections.  I was removing the home bar ribbon, and the clip that holds it down came off completely.   :boxed:

Is the circuit bricked when this clip is broken off, or is there a fix?  I was going to just order a new circuit - $11 shipped from ebay.  Or, is there a supplier of better quality circuits?

I don't know, but this seems like a pretty simple step to screw up on.  I didn't think I was prying it up that hard, and the clip just popped up, then I tried to clip the ribbon back to make sure it would work, but in the process the clip just fell off.

What do you guys think?  Should I just give up now, or learn, buy a new circuit, and move on? 

Thanks for your help.

Offline sprocketme2

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-0
Re: Live and learn, or give up now?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 04:55:46 PM »
You could have just gotten really unlucky and your psp has a bad solder job from the factory. You never know.  :dntknw: I say learn from it.

dealextreme $3.65
psxboy $4.00
My flickr profile: http://www.flickr.com/photos/47542734@N06/
Contains all my photos for public viewing

Offline frleal

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 06:47:44 PM »
Good points.  So there's no way to fix it I take it?

Offline Luke

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +12/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 07:29:37 PM »
im selling 1

wait just remenbered i sold it

Offline GhoSt

• Creating Null
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +19/-0
  • Null Pointer Exception
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 09:07:23 PM »
im selling 1

wait just remenbered i sold it

lol, dealextreme should sell them and they are cheap. Need some better quality photos man :laughing:
|Variegation - GhoSt's Final Controller|

|Nothing is deterministic.|

Offline frleal

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 09:49:12 PM »
So, live and learn it is!  I ordered the replacement power switch circuit board as well as an extra just in case.  I went a little crazy since the prices were so good, and went ahead and ordered a couple of analog sticks.  I know I was planning on hardwiring an external PS2 analog, but I may try to hardwire the original analog first and see if that doesn't fix my problem.  AND...I also ordered a clear case! :clap:
I know, I know, but I told you I went a little crazy.  I've heard I'm going to have to modify the UMD door on the clear case to get it to work right, as well as use the original power switch.  AND, from what I've read, I'll probably use the original buttons since the clear ones haven't gotten good reviews. 

Anyway, guess I'll wait till the goods arrive.  12-17 days according to the website?  Ouch! :beg:

I have actually been wanting to replace the camera.  It's like a 5mp, and doesn't do macro very well.  But yea, gotta update it one of these days.  I'm holding out for a Canon Rebel xti.

Thanks for the help guys.

Offline Luke

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +12/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 01:51:15 AM »
lol, dealextreme should sell them and they are cheap. Need some better quality photos man :laughing:
sorry to go off topic but im catching up    to you  in post       counts  =D ok back   to topic   try     ebay    i get  all my stuff   from there

Offline GhoSt

• Creating Null
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +19/-0
  • Null Pointer Exception
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 01:57:33 AM »
sorry to go off topic but im catching up    to you  in post       counts  =D ok back   to topic   try     ebay    i get  all my stuff   from there

lol thats freaky since u started like after me, but its not about quantity but quality. back on topic yes live and learn is the best option never quit. if you quit you are going to fail in life.
|Variegation - GhoSt's Final Controller|

|Nothing is deterministic.|

Offline Luke

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +12/-0
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 02:01:36 AM »
lol thats freaky since u started like after me, but its not about quantity but quality. back on topic yes live and learn is the best option never quit. if you quit you are going to fail in life.
rofl  true  i have  a  crap  post  quailittity  =\  anyways  on topic  if u give up quit its not   get  u anywhere  in     
  life   ..      "  The  only thing   u archive   without  eferot is failure"

Offline frleal

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2008, 02:15:00 PM »
Got the goods, soldered some 30awg directly to the mother board and connected XBox analog (i like the feel better) via PCI, and it work flawlessly.  I now am going to try to mount the analog like the guy with tut that did it using an empty can of beef jerky (or whatever it was).  Anyway, things are going good so far.  I thought soldering directly to the motherboard would be the tricky step, but I'm starting to think that mounting everything might be a little trickier.

Offline ryan0

• I EAT STUFF
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • I LIEK CHEEEEZE
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2008, 03:39:43 AM »
y where u soldering ur analog to the home button bar?
Derp.

Offline frleal

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2008, 07:42:11 AM »
I changed my analog like 4 different times, only for it stop working within a short period again and again.  Then someone suggested that it might be that rubber contact piece, so then I changed that out.  The analog worked like new for about 3 days, then it started doing it again.  I posted the problem on another forum, they recommended that Ben Heck mod, and soldering directly to mb.  They also referred me here, so here I am.

I'm having some trouble mounting the little beef jerky can like Ben did it.  I changed the mod a little in that I soldered directly to the mb, which placed the pci slot on the back piece instead of the face plate.  I'm thinking of gluing on some support pieces to the can which I will screw onto the back piece, but I'm still in the planning stages for that.

The X-box analog worked great.  The only thing that was an issue was using the L-button during game play.  The game I was playing was SOCOM FTB2, and you use the analog and L-button together to straf.  The distance created by putting the analog on the side in the can like Ben did it, makes using the two together a little awkward.  SO, I thought I would maybe wire in another L-button on the can somehow.  I'll need to research that some more.

Has anyone else tried this mod?

Thanks for any help.

Offline frleal

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2008, 11:26:15 PM »
Something else I was thinking about was, it would be pretty cool if I could somehow wire the L-shoulder button into the the analog so that when it's 'clicked' it would be like hitting the L-shoulder button.  That way I could straf using a single button.  Clear as mud?

Has anyone heard of that mod being done?

Offline Blizzrad

• Chaos Lover
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2008, 01:38:46 AM »
*deleted
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 09:27:10 PM by Blizzrad »

Offline ryan0

• I EAT STUFF
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • I LIEK CHEEEEZE
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2008, 10:53:12 AM »
Something else I was thinking about was, it would be pretty cool if I could somehow wire the L-shoulder button into the the analog so that when it's 'clicked' it would be like hitting the L-shoulder button.  That way I could straf using a single button.  Clear as mud?

Has anyone heard of that mod being done?
i had that idea before although i wasnt bothered using it,basically u see the lil tactile switch on the xbox analog?wire that up to the l button and there u ave it
Derp.

Offline frleal

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2008, 01:35:43 PM »
Ryan, when you say "...although i wasnt bothered using it", what do  you mean exactly?  Did you wire it up, and find that it didn't work exactly as you thought?  Or, you didn't bother wiring it up in the first place?  Thanks for the help.

I have a spare X-box analog I'll have a look at it to see if I can find the tactile switch you're referring to.

I guess I didn't use strong enough glue to attach the extension to the back of the beef jerky can, because it came apart, and there's basically nothing holding it to the psp.  Poor design, I think. 

I wonder what analog Foofoo used on his evolution psp?  Too bad the xbox analog isn't a little smaller so it could be used in place of the psp analog.

Anyway, thanks for the input guys.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal