Author Topic: commercialized hackintoshes (t'was a hoax)  (Read 4537 times)

Offline noah03ark

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Überm Sternenzelt richtet Gott, wie wir gerichtet
commercialized hackintoshes (t'was a hoax)
« on: April 14, 2008, 08:46:51 PM »
legalities be damned! this is a hot new topic! (plus we're not giving the illegal instructions..only speaking of the final product)
company psystar is commercializing the hackintosh

bad idea..not legal, so apple's ninja lawyers are gona be all over this one

i dont mind a home made hackintosh because the induvidual took the time to build a machine and crack the OS to get it to run (putting effort with the result of a well deserved OS at the end of the day) but commercializing it is not a good idea because its not their own OS, and isnt liscensced like windows is...apple only hardware...

this might be a bloody court battle  :wacko:
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 05:30:56 PM by noah03ark »

Offline robin1989

• Site Owner - Site Maintenance & development
  • Administrator
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +21/-0
  • Site owner
    • Acidmods
Re: commercialized hackintoshes (yes i'm talking about it)
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 12:32:34 AM »
noah no offence but im sick of telling you that in any normal court with a good lawyer a hackintosh isnt iligal as the eula ould be found to be unfair in its restrictions if you buy the hardware and you buy the OS then it is yours to do with as you like.

the way this works they dont hack the OS they install and EFI emulator as mac os x uses EFI instead of BIOS so because of the emulator they dont need to "hack" the OS all they then do is install aditional drivers for the OS so that the software runs perfectly so the only thing they would need to sort out in court is the thing to do with the eula if they end up in court at all so i think its a good thing, a good idea and i hope that they stay around as they offer an affordable powerful mac

i am not responsible for what i do or my advice

Get the iPhone 4s from Three using Quidco and recieve £109 cashback

Offline noah03ark

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 04:14:13 AM »
i dont think the hackintosh istself but commercially breaking apple's eula will have them panic

"InformationWeek spoke to an employee of Psystar, the company responsible for the previously reported $399 Mac Clone. The employee known as "Robert" claims that they will challenge Apple's Mac OS X End User License Agreement (EULA) which specifically prohibits the installation of Mac OS X on non Apple-branded machines.

[Robert] also said Psystar believes Apple's prohibition against third-party installations might not hold up in court: "What if Honda said that, after you buy their car, you could only drive it on the roads they said you could?"

Robert said Psystar will continue to sell the OpenMac system, despite the fact that it appears to violate Apple's EULA. "We're not breaking any laws," he insisted.
Indeed, Apple's EULA agreement is not cast into law, but simply represents an implicit agreement ("contract") between the user and company. The enforceability of EULAs, however, has been a subject of much debate, and a true legal challenge would be very interesting. That being said, Robert's loose use of the word "monopoly" and car/road analogy does not necessarily inspire confidence in his legal prowess.

Of note, Psystar has changed the name of their Mac clone from "OpenMac" to "Open Computer", presumably due to trademark issues surrounding the use of the term "Mac"."

this is intersting to see how it plays out
and for this one they dont need to hack the software to get it to run, they just take apple's eula software and redistribute it for profit

Offline Reaper

• Fear the Reaper!
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Fear the Reaper
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 09:43:28 AM »
Kind of funny seeing as how one of my apple loving friends and I are building a Hackintosh quad core.  It's comparable to a 2800 dollar Mac for only 650 bucks including leopard

Offline noah03ark

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 09:51:59 AM »
how is it funny? its fun right?

thats cool, it shouldnt be a big deal on an induvidual scale, however commercializing it for profit like they're doing might insight some issues

Offline Reaper

• Fear the Reaper!
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Fear the Reaper
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 10:34:21 AM »
how is it funny? its fun right?

thats cool, it shouldnt be a big deal on an induvidual scale, however commercializing it for profit like they're doing might insight some issues

It's funny because the whole reason we are building it is because he's tired of, in his own words, "buying disposable computers for such a high price"  and then these guys start commercializing it LOL

Offline noah03ark

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 10:40:12 AM »
hmm...mine isnt so disposable and priced high...funny

as for commercializing i duno if it will last...their lawyers are probably congregating in thier dark law offices of doom right now...wringing their hands menacingly

Offline robin1989

• Site Owner - Site Maintenance & development
  • Administrator
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +21/-0
  • Site owner
    • Acidmods
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 10:45:28 AM »
are you guy going to dual or tripple or quad boot or just have osx

i know you reaper so i guess there isnt any point in saying take a look at http://www.hackint0sh.org/ and http://www.osx86project.org/ as you probably have already

i would love to hear how it goes - you and your friend should do a full write up with pics and like a step by step especially if your doing quad boot as well for us and give links to the parts.

i am not responsible for what i do or my advice

Get the iPhone 4s from Three using Quidco and recieve £109 cashback

Offline noah03ark

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 10:50:43 AM »

i know you reaper so i guess there isnt any point in saying take a look at http://www.hackint0sh.org/ and http://www.osx86project.org/ as you probably have already

i would love to hear how it goes - you and your friend should do a full write up with pics and like a step by step especially if your doing quad boot as well for us and give links to the parts.

yes keep us informed
the project sounds interesting

Offline Canadajames

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 12:56:08 PM »
hahahahahah in apples face. im sure these guys did a bit of research. power to the people.

Ken i wouldnt have done it any other way
https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=15400.0

Offline noah03ark

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 01:34:18 PM »
hahahahahah in apples face. im sure these guys did a bit of research. power to the people.

doubt that, from what engadgets reported, the miami office is in chaos

as for people..what people specifically? we're all people
some big corporate fatcats who want their stuff they made on their system for profit, and people who are putting the fatcats stuff on their system for profit
we're all people, so they're not much sense in saying power to the people...more like, "oh no you didan'", and "oh yea we diid" and the court cases to follow

anyway fake steve put his thoughts in, and wether or not you like the real steve, you still gotta love fake for his in-your-face attitude about everything
so tounge-in-cheek

http://fakesteve.blogspot.com/2008/04/psystar-thats-french-word-meaning-were.html
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 01:37:32 PM by noah03ark »

Offline Canadajames

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2008, 04:08:36 PM »
doubt that, from what engadgets reported, the miami office is in chaos

as for people..what people specifically? we're all people
some big corporate fatcats who want their stuff they made on their system for profit, and people who are putting the fatcats stuff on their system for profit
we're all people, so they're not much sense in saying power to the people...more like, "oh no you didan'", and "oh yea we diid" and the court cases to follow

anyway fake steve put his thoughts in, and wether or not you like the real steve, you still gotta love fake for his in-your-face attitude about everything
so tounge-in-cheek

http://fakesteve.blogspot.com/2008/04/psystar-thats-french-word-meaning-were.html

I think you've posted more words in like 10 apple posts then like 100 or more other ones. I gotta think they did at least something and some way or another if they really want to do this apple is just gonna throw some money around and do that. and apple is not people. It's a conglomerate or business if it was opertaed by 1 person I may have been sympathetic but I don't really care. I meant it as a kinda stickin it to the man kinda thing.

Ken i wouldnt have done it any other way
https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=15400.0

Offline noah03ark

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2008, 04:46:14 PM »
I think you've posted more words in like 10 apple posts then like 100 or more other ones. I gotta think they did at least something and some way or another if they really want to do this apple is just gonna throw some money around and do that. and apple is not people. It's a conglomerate or business if it was opertaed by 1 person I may have been sympathetic but I don't really care. I meant it as a kinda stickin it to the man kinda thing.
is that supposed to be some sort of personal attack? i post more..ok
they way you put it, makes it seem like there's somthing wrong with that...it might have to do with being called an idiot every day by people, online and off, for having an expensive computer (though i find the expense worth it) so i tend to feel defensive when it comes to this subject i guess. thats just how i am kinda based on the crap i take for having my mac

anyway apple will throw money around, money and lawyers; im gona guess its because they're protective of their product...almost...too protective.
apple is a 'closed' experiance and they're probably gona do everything to keep it that way
.as for psystar, interesting information surfaced on gizmodo that called it shady...apparently on the support page the adress suddenly changed..? something else, cant remember :/
it is sticking it to the man in a sense, but more buisness-ey, and apple is super protective of that proprietary software for thier proprietary/expensive machines (they make a killing off of it)
as for them not being people...well they are

walk into an apple store and a human will ask you if you need anything, not a machine. apple is people..but as for the corporate face which i believe you are excited to have it slightly 'stuck' to them, they seem like they arent people..even though they are..like steve jobs..but if i had a free chance to smash job's mercedes just to see him try and go zen meditation to 'work off the negative energy' you bet your ass i would take it.

but i dont take my friends drawing and trace it onto my own paper...(crappy comparison, i know)

and by the by, you bet you're ass im the stereotypical liberal bleeding heart starbucks-sipping mac-laptop-using 'free thinking'  douchebags(and i use that in quotes because some apple users think its 'alternative' and 'creative' to have one; but keep in mind i say some) , and damn is it fine...also im jewish (irrelevant, i know)

Offline Reaper

• Fear the Reaper!
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Fear the Reaper
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2008, 05:07:27 PM »
hmm...mine isnt so disposable and priced high...funny

as for commercializing i duno if it will last...their lawyers are probably congregating in thier dark law offices of doom right now...wringing their hands menacingly

If you spent more than a grand on a computer then it is priced high.  I know kids who spend 500 dollars on their cars...

He's an avid Mac user, thing is you can't customize it as much as a PC. He's an iMac user and thinks the MBP's are a waste of time (don't know his reasoning but he is very money conscientious so I have a feeling thats the reasoning..  He's eventually gonna want to buy a laptop wholesale and we'll convert it to Mac as well.

He's just getting the funding together.  We are planning on dual booting Vista Premium 64 and OS X and running a Q6600 with 4 gigs of ram.
I already checked out the sites and I plan on patching one of his copies of OS X pretty soon.  If it all goes well (we're using the same hardware as me) I'll add a second HDD to my rig and Dual Boot as well.

Offline P3nnyw1se

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • AcidMaG
    • Myspace
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2008, 05:12:40 PM »
Brand the apple logo somewhere on your comp, install Mac Os X...ur good to go, xD :rofl:

Offline noah03ark

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2008, 05:15:18 PM »
If you spent more than a grand on a computer then it is priced high.  I know kids who spend 500 dollars on their cars...

He's an avid Mac user, thing is you can't customize it as much as a PC. He's an iMac user and thinks the MBP's are a waste of time (don't know his reasoning but he is very money conscientious so I have a feeling thats the reasoning..  He's eventually gonna want to buy a laptop wholesale and we'll convert it to Mac as well.

He's just getting the funding together.  We are planning on dual booting Vista Premium 64 and OS X and running a Q6600 with 4 gigs of ram.
I already checked out the sites and I plan on patching one of his copies of OS X pretty soon.  If it all goes well (we're using the same hardware as me) I'll add a second HDD to my rig and Dual Boot as well.
my bad i meant to write mine isnt disposable and priced high, as in it is priced high, because it is

but surely not disposable, beautiful hardware and wonderful resale value after a couple of years (2-4)

as for the REAL OSx86 project, they dont like it as their technology was stolen and might be sold for profit..though psystar might go out it seems as they have been in buisness in less than a year, and magically change locations on their site, and are taking the propritary apple OS and commercializing it

linksies: http://www.engadget.com/2008/04/16/osx86-project-not-too-happy-with-psystar-either/

as for the induvidually made hackintosh, apple seems to actually tolerate it apparently (tahts at least what engadget says...)
maybe because you buy a copy of leopard before the patches and whatnot...
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 03:27:41 PM by noah03ark »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal