Author Topic: Question: PSP GPS inside a PSP Slim?  (Read 4276 times)

Offline JoblessPunk

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +0/-0
Question: PSP GPS inside a PSP Slim?
« on: May 07, 2008, 08:08:46 PM »
I was reading yngmike thread: PSP Slim Invisible Camera ideas and TUT request and an idea popped into my head.

What if you take out the UMD drive and replace it with the GPS unit. Then make a switch to turn it on/off so you could still use the USB drive.

Would that work?
would you be able to fit the GPS unit into the PSP Slim?

heres a link to Neubit disassembly of the PSP GPS unit: PSP GPS Unit Disassembly by Neubit

I personally don't know the dementions of the GPS unit, but i don't think it could be that big.

VoX

Re: Question: PSP GPS inside a PSP Slim?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 11:33:51 PM »
I don't see why not, I'm going to do this with my PSP Phat as soon as I get mine

Offline JoblessPunk

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 02:01:40 AM »
mmk, Thanks!
let me know how it goes and whatcha did to make it work.

VoX

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 02:05:57 AM »
I'll let you know, In the mean time I've got the dimensions for the GPS Device for you to make measurements. They are "45 x 41 x 17mm (W x H x D)", remember that these are the stock dimensions and that when you disassemble it that will change the size of it
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 02:07:40 AM by VoX »

Offline JoblessPunk

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 03:41:13 PM »
the width and height seem like they will work, but the depth is pretty iffy. I think its because they are measuring the base with the GPS unit.

VoX

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 04:17:37 PM »
the width and height seem like they will work, but the depth is pretty iffy. I think its because they are measuring the base with the GPS unit.

This is think this too, and you have to dissemble it anyway to complete this mod so I'm a pretty sure that you will be able to fit it in

Offline RoBot1ks

• Club AM VIP
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • 1 r n00ber
    • Myspace
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 05:17:18 PM »
You also have to think about reception..Idk too much about gps, but somehow you must put it somewhere that will be able to pick up some satellites.

Offline JoblessPunk

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008, 01:59:29 AM »
You also have to think about reception..Idk too much about gps, but somehow you must put it somewhere that will be able to pick up some satellites.

I don't think there will be any problem with that. The GPS unit is already in a plastic case and I don't think a satellite will have a problem finding the GPS unit if its not sitting on the top of the PSP, but we'll just have to see.

Offline RoBot1ks

• Club AM VIP
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • 1 r n00ber
    • Myspace
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2008, 04:43:52 AM »
I was just basing my answer on what *FuFa said:

You can't make the GPS internal, simply because you won't recieve anything, the reciever must be outside to recieve any signal at all.

VoX

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2008, 04:48:40 AM »
I was just basing my answer on what *FuFa said:

Wouldn't you be able to wire up and external Antenna? Did *FuFa try?

Offline RoBot1ks

• Club AM VIP
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • 1 r n00ber
    • Myspace
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2008, 04:54:43 AM »
Good question..i don't know if *FuFa tried or not, but maybe you can use an external antenna.

To test it:

I would just get some plastic box (put the psp in the box),,,,make some arm holes and eye holes and take it outside and see if you can pick up anything. (with the gps unit hooked up on top of the psp of course)

VoX

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2008, 06:19:10 AM »
I've ordered a GPS device so I can test it out myself when I get it. The only thing I'm worried about is that there is no way to solder on an external antenna, this could and may very well be the case

Offline RoBot1ks

• Club AM VIP
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • 1 r n00ber
    • Myspace
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2008, 11:36:41 AM »
I've ordered a GPS device so I can test it out myself when I get it. The only thing I'm worried about is that there is no way to solder on an external antenna, this could and may very well be the case
yeah..once you recieve it and take a further look at the internals, maybe you'll find a way to wire up an antenna

Offline JoblessPunk

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2008, 12:05:43 AM »
I have a really hard time thinking that the satellite wont be able to go threw a thin layer of plastic. Think about it, for the GPS unit to communicate with the Satellite it has to travel soo far and threw thicker items.

also, I don't think you will be able to make an "external" antenna.
The GPS Unit is 90% antenna, so its kinda pointless.

did FuFa do any test? or just his "speculations"?

Offline *FuFa

• learn2/spell/
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Spam King Barfday Boy¯\(°_o)/¯ ¯\(°_o)/¯ ¯\(°_o)/¯
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2008, 07:23:56 AM »
https://www.acidmods.com/Wiki/tiki-index.php?page=PSP%20GPS%20Unit%20Disassembly

There, read that first, you will see that there really is no spot to solder on a external antenna, so this doesn't work.

Second of all, no I never tryed it, but the PSPs GPS already has a rather weak signal, so covering it with metal and even more stuff will keep the GPS from getting a good signal. It also HAS to be pointed up into the sky with free range to the top.

Have no shame in being kindly and gentle, but if the time comes in the time of your life to kill, kill and have no regret. In the time of your life, live so that, in that wonderous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it.

VoX

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2008, 07:31:42 AM »
Yeah I thought you wouldn't be able to solder an external antenna. About the signal, I didn't know it was so week, I didn't think Sony would mass produce and market a peripheral that doesn't work well under normal conditions. Anyway, Thanks for the information it is a big help.

-Vox

Offline JoblessPunk

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2008, 02:53:23 PM »
mmm, do you think it has bad signal because the GPS unit is officially released for USA yet?

Vox when you get your GPS unit can you do a little test?
Put your PSP with the GPS unit in/under a plastic Tupperware container(or anything that could represent putting your GPS unit inside a PSP) and tell us how the GPS unit reacts.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal