Author Topic: PSP internal HDD mod with 80GB 1.8" ipod harddrive (or any other usb drive)  (Read 162934 times)

Offline Tri-edge

• I found Nemo!!
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +4/-0
  • Azure knight
the datel hdd has a 4gb limit and therefore would not be sufficient for the job. trust me if it was that easy we would have done it already.  :winker:

Offline FaT3oYCG

• Registered BST
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • (Modder for hire) Live in your world, Mod in ours.
    • Modern-Gamer.co.uk
or you could get the neo 2 in 1, 4 in 1 or 8 in 1 which you can delimit to 32gb!!!

it really is that simple, if you tke the casing off of the 2 in 1 or 4 in 1 you could replace the umd drive with it as it would then fit with a little fabrication!

i am myself going to get a 2 in 1 or 4 in 1 to simply test the functionality, and then if it is any good i plan on purchasing a psp console to modify specifically for that purpose, it includes a sdhc card reader aswell so that is an added bonus.
----- F@T3oYCG -----

Offline gr8npwrfl

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Ignorance is not fatal it can be cured
because you cant run a hard drive from the Datel. The limit is 4 GIG

Go buy yourself a CR5400 dual sdhc card adapter. It is the size
of the pro duo and plugs into the pro duo slot.

Plug in 2 SHDC 16 gig cards and you have 32 gig of storage all just
for plugging it in.

Offline TwisTtheTwiTcH

• Blogs & Media Editor-In-Chief
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +12/-2
  • Within my shadows there are no sins
Re: PSP internal HDD mod with 80GB 1.8" ipod harddrive (or any other usb drive)
« Reply #303 on: February 23, 2009, 02:33:32 PM »
I am really interested in this project. I have a friend that works for a company on the base I live on and his job is designing... Things. He uses AutoCAD and other programs and such. I might be able to get him all the dimensions for a slightly larger PSP case with the use of all the measurements thats posted here. They make things from resin casting and I might be able to get him to make a biger PSP. Trick is, you'd have to cut the rectangle out for the screen. If I can get him to do it for me, I'll donate it to the cause. I'll post an update in a week or so.

-TwisT

Offline treemty

• l,,l METAL l,,l
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Will mod for food
    • the1337group.com
« Reply #304 on: February 23, 2009, 02:43:19 PM »
I am really interested in this project. I have a friend that works for a company on the base I live on and his job is designing... Things. He uses AutoCAD and other programs and such. I might be able to get him all the dimensions for a slightly larger PSP case with the use of all the measurements thats posted here. They make things from resin casting and I might be able to get him to make a biger PSP. Trick is, you'd have to cut the rectangle out for the screen. If I can get him to do it for me, I'll donate it to the cause. I'll post an update in a week or so.

-TwisT
Excuse me,
PLZ DO NOT BUMP OLD TOPICS

Offline IndiaZer

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
I am so glad that I am in this I am relief when i saw the answer to my question., :victory:

Offline treemty

• l,,l METAL l,,l
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Will mod for food
    • the1337group.com
I am so glad that I am in this I am relief when i saw the answer to my question., :victory:

seriously?
Right after my post, you are going to just go and bump an OLD topic?
please stop bumping topics people,

Offline ryan0

• I EAT STUFF
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • I LIEK CHEEEEZE
Holy crap MEGA BUMP
Derp.

Offline Slorcan

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Sounds like a mission, but acceptable luck dude! bethink pic's and vid's.

Offline W-Gaming5

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 11:12:26 PM by W-Gaming5 »
:censored:

Offline wrcsti

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
Wow, serious necro posting going on here.
I have kept low in a while and this got me up, I wont lock it due to the information posted here.

Offline RazorX

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #311 on: September 10, 2009, 05:35:59 AM »
For Those Who Are Not Quite Sure What The Goal This Forum Is Trying To Reach Ive Made A Picture To Show You What This Forum Is Reaching For..

Hope You Like It.

Offline ~:Dhruv:~

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • [quote author=Reaper link=topic=30647.msg227184#ms
    • Infectech
« Reply #312 on: September 10, 2009, 07:33:02 AM »
@RazorX Please make a new topic for this if u want... This is one is DEAD !

Anyway, this has been discussed over and over again ... its not happening. First of all AFAIK the PSP has a 32GB hard limit for memory and that already makes using a hard disk redundant. Secondly the power requirements for a 1.8"/2.5" HDD would put an enormous strain on the inbuilt battery and having an external would kill the entire portability factor.

btw , while posting in dead topics IS allowed if u have some remarkable new info , you have just posted a render of what you want in the PSP.

All Future Posters are Requested NOT to post here unless they have vital info to share.
  you look like a carrot.
My nickname at school is carrot cake, because i can't get tan. I get orange. and my face is shaped like a carrot. And i make a mean carrot cake.

Offline FaT3oYCG

• Registered BST
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • Modern-Gamer.co.uk
« Reply #313 on: September 10, 2009, 11:29:27 AM »
the psp doesnt have that limit at all, i think it has been increased to something like 2TB so using a hdd is not redundant but hdd's are large, i would suggest researching into flash chips, im sure with some simple research you would be able to buy some pcb's and flash chips and any other required components and create your own flash memory converter so that the psp could use it without the need of usbhost.
----- F@T3oYCG -----

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • Infectech
« Reply #314 on: September 10, 2009, 12:17:01 PM »
What you are talking about is the new Memory Stick standard which is NOT backwards compatible.... The PSP will not support the 2TB memory sticks whenever they come out.... If u know , even the photofast supports upto 32GB.
  you look like a carrot.
My nickname at school is carrot cake, because i can't get tan. I get orange. and my face is shaped like a carrot. And i make a mean carrot cake.

Offline FaT3oYCG

• Registered BST
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • Modern-Gamer.co.uk
« Reply #315 on: September 10, 2009, 04:03:05 PM »
i wasnt on about memory sticks, the psp is not limited to 32gb but the psp media i.e. memory sticks are as that is the standard for memory sticks that are not the new ones, the psp itself could access up to 2TB of storage i think it is so if you had some way of connecting the psp to the media then you can access the capacity which is why i said research into flash chips like those that are in usb pens as there has been a 256GB usb pen made if you search the net that you could interface to the psp if you knew what to do.
----- F@T3oYCG -----

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • Infectech
« Reply #316 on: September 10, 2009, 09:26:00 PM »
Hmmmm maybe ur right , but i'm still skeptical :P  Coz what you are saying is what Photofast is attempting to achieve. 32GB SD Cards are easily available. So in theory we could easily put two 32GB cards in a photofast adaptor for 64GB storage but that doesnt happen coz the PSP doesnt support it.
  you look like a carrot.

Offline FaT3oYCG

• Registered BST
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • Modern-Gamer.co.uk
« Reply #317 on: September 10, 2009, 11:59:20 PM »
its not because they cant do it it is because the media doesnt support it, you cant use the memory stick slot to interface memory as that is also limited by the standards which is 32GB as you ay, which is why we use usb host as the psp file system itself can access up to 2TB, researching into flash chips and such you could create a pbc that would fit where the umd is and be able to install a basic linux setup so that you could run usbhost if you needed to, a simple plugin for the psp may also be useful so you could control the board but that stuff is quite advanced and what gr8npwrfl was trying to do but did not have the knowledge or time maybe to create his ow pcb to interface with the psp.
----- F@T3oYCG -----

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • Infectech
« Reply #318 on: September 11, 2009, 01:13:46 AM »
Yeah... Thats what i meant , we will have to do a LOT of work to come even close to achieving this. I doubt that it is going to happen on this model unless the site manages to get a really nice R&D budget. 

"install a basic linux setup" This is pretty much what will need to be done BUT u r basically running a micro computer to provide data from the hard disk to the PSP. IMHO space and battery constraints will make it unfeasible.

Offtopic //
Long time back there was talk of creating usb host drivers for iPod Linux. They soon realised that it was easier said than done. Now that the Rockbox team has almost perfected their USB drivers maybe they can collaborate with AM to create USB Host Drivers .... Not gonna happen but this seems to be a feasible soln. Does USB Host capability warrant extra hardware ?
  you look like a carrot.

Offline Tri-edge

• I found Nemo!!
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +4/-0
  • Azure knight
« Reply #319 on: September 11, 2009, 01:37:43 AM »
actually your both wrong... and right.

the official firmware is limited to 32gbs but the custom firmware isn't limited at all.  Custom firmware in theory can take up to 2tb in flash memory if it was ever made.  DAX removed the limit.

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • Infectech
« Reply #320 on: September 11, 2009, 01:57:21 AM »
Hmmm... that doesnt change the fact that the current Memory stick implementation cant support the new higher capacity versions...
in any case , the 2TB version is very far off at the moment. AFAIK they are going to start with 32GB versions....
  you look like a carrot.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal