Author Topic: This place is TERRIBLE!!!!!  (Read 2021 times)

Offline 00G

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Woohoo, 1/2 more and I'm a pint!!!
This place is TERRIBLE!!!!!
« on: May 25, 2008, 10:16:08 PM »
I see all these modded PSPs and I just had to do it!!!  So I take the darn thing apart, thinking "I know how to solder"  I have only been doing it for 20+ years in stereos, building electrical, misc electronics and custom electronics.  Now I have these microscopic leads to solder some magnet wire to for the D-pad.  I have to admit, as embarrassing as it sounds, I worked on the D-pad for about 1-day straight if you add the hours, only to find out my iron wasn't hot enough for the needle point tip I was using on a 15watter, so 30 watts on the needle tip worked like a dream on the 20th hour.  My biggest problem was when every thing was assembled the first 8 times, the D-pad was stuck in the left button.  Now I am seriously doubting my soldering skills, I have the magnifying glass, even a RS microscope to check my work and my meter never read I was crossing lines, especially the left trace.  I only found out by the last 3 re-assemblies that the ribbon had hair on it and was causing my woes with the D-pad.  I really felt stupid as I probably am for doing this mod.

Anyway, I am using a PS2 analog stick to be sure my efforts are/were worth it and installed 4 micro-switches into the nub to replicate the digital D-pad.  I would have taken pictures if it worked the first few attempts.  I am looking either to mod the PS2 analog or find a smaller one all together that semi-fits in the PSP.  Anyone have a clue?  I've seen some on aircraft sticks for trim, but I believe they are digital and cost $1000 or so.  Wish me luck on the analog stick search, the PS2 is way too big, but worth every second when in use!!!

I love this place!!!

Offline tmandt

• Club AM VIP
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • o.O tOny! JDMKID
Re: This place is TERRIBLE!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 10:30:28 PM »
whre did you get your metal nub? pm me

Offline 00G

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 10:40:34 PM »
I made it, I can do round things on my lathe, so I am going to try a custom analog stick with the PS2 potentiometers laying on their side instead of standing up, I should get the pots to lay at least level with the face.  (fingers crossed)... 

If anyone were interested in the switches, I've got a pic of them on the phone I cannibalized near a PS2 analog switch, can we say micro-micro-switches...

Offline ryan0

• I EAT STUFF
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • I LIEK CHEEEEZE
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 05:28:34 AM »
lol very cool,i did something similar to this
Derp.

VoX

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 06:06:14 AM »
Looks good, weird topic title though. How long did it take you?

Offline 00G

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 07:06:35 AM »
I just recently did the CFW to play more with the PSP, I've had this one since they came out and had no idea of it's capabilities.  I started the soldering on Friday evening and was up all night/morning then gave it a rest Sat. about 9am.  I started again on Sat night and finished it on Sun evening, I am sure it was about 20+ hours trying to figure out the stuck left button and the last attempts at soldering had almost all of the leads shorted to eachother.  I have so much respect for you guys that soldered anything to those microscopic leads, my magnifying glass barely helped. 

Thanks, I am not into lights much, but with the UMD out, I would really like more memory and have been watching/experimenting with the HDD implementation.  I have this wonderful forum to thank for my new addiction, hehehe.

Offline DubbleDutch

• BlietZ Modding
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +3/-0

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 07:19:13 AM »
try the retrocon joystick ;)

it has smaller joysticks on it ;)

yes joysticks, there are 2

search it on ebay or something

To all of you crying about lag and kicks, remember… when Jesus died, took him 3 days to respawn. Now THAT is lag.

Offline 00G

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 09:56:03 AM »
Those look great!  I am looking for their info now.  Any info on the joysticks used here???

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal