Author Topic: Can a PSP run without a D-Pad? Should I remove it.  (Read 1858 times)

Offline nytos

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
Can a PSP run without a D-Pad? Should I remove it.
« on: June 16, 2008, 10:15:03 PM »
Hi guys,

First I wanna say great site! There are so many awe inspiring mods here, it's really a great source of inspiration.

I am currently working on my first mod, it is Ben Heck's external analog joystick mod (just the joystick).

I have alot of PSP games, but I mostly play my 20 or so PS1 games. Using pops loader, I play in configuration 4 where the D-pad is the Analog Joystick, or I just use the analog joystick.

Of all the games I have played over the past 2 years, I have never used the D-pad before. Although, in some games the D-pad may control the camera.

I'm thinking about completely removing/gutting the D-pad, and putting my Ben Heck's Analog Stick in there, under the faceplate. The joystick is just a clone of the original analog stick.

Can anyone see any major problems with this? I feel like the D-pad is taking up the perfect spot for a larger sized analog stick.

Will I suffer significantly by not have a D-pad?

Offline psp339

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
Re: Can a PSP run without a D-Pad? Should I remove it.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 10:58:56 PM »
Your PSP will work fine without a D-Pad. :cool:

Offline gr8npwrfl

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Ignorance is not fatal it can be cured
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 11:00:35 PM »
You could very well do this.

But just in case maybe you will want to put a small connector so you can hook up an external
set of switches just in case you run into something that needs them.

What about wiring up an original nintendo game pad so you could plug it in if you needed it ?

VoX

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 11:01:50 PM »
Yes, I don't see many problems with it. It has been done before by F00F00, check it out in the Post your PSP topic

Offline 00G

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Woohoo, 1/2 more and I'm a pint!!!
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 11:43:23 PM »
I think you need the D-pad for the menus as far as I can remember.  I did replace my D-pad with a joystick, but still need the D-pad for menu navigation. Also, if you are going to go with the analog in the D-pad area, you may want to look into this Joystick:

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail?name=254SA103C50A-ND

I ordered this and the slightly bigger one from them.  I am using the stick  out of the Wii classic, but it is still too tall. 

Offline nytos

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 04:45:38 AM »
You're completely right mate. I can't believe I overlooked menu selection!

I'm going to have to install one of those tiny micro joysticks as a mean's for menu selection (so it will be the d-pad),

and have a full size PS2 stick where the D-pad was.

I hope my high school soldering skills still exist, but even then, I was a bit messy. Gonna go practice some really fine point soldering. :)

cheers

VoX

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 06:15:50 AM »
Oh, I thought you were replacing your D-Pad with a PS2 joystick which was wired to the corresponding d-pad pins on the motherboard/connector. That looks like a good joystick from Digikey, I would also recommend that one

Offline j.s2ghetto

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • GHETTO inside
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 10:24:05 AM »
i don't recomend that joystick unless u want to order 1000

UPDATE
i would get this one http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail?name=253A103B45NB-ND
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 10:31:26 AM by j.s2ghetto »

thank u P3nnywise for the sig
"See you have to understand the difference. The difference between me and you is to you, this is your job. To me, this is my life. The club; that's my job. The mall; that's my job. Your neighborhood; that's my job. This studio; this is my life. This is what I do better than anything."

Offline LeadBaron

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 07:29:25 PM »
You're completely right mate. I can't believe I overlooked menu selection!

I'm going to have to install one of those tiny micro joysticks as a mean's for menu selection (so it will be the d-pad),

and have a full size PS2 stick where the D-pad was.

I hope my high school soldering skills still exist, but even then, I was a bit messy. Gonna go practice some really fine point soldering. :)

cheers

Isn't there an old cfw plugin that lets you navigate the menu with the nub?

Offline pax

• CyberPyrot WannaBe
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Sig and Avatar by INDYCHASE
    • GAMING LAGOON - Join now for free prizes
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 12:24:31 PM »
Isn't there an old cfw plugin that lets you navigate the menu with the nub?

yh u can use the original psp analogue stick to go through the xmb

Here is the plugin to use the analog stick in XMB. It's called joysens v1.3 it only works in 3.71m33 or 1.50 OFW.

http://www.psp-hacks.com/file/1322

Edit the following files inside the ms0:/SEPLUGINS/ folder (create them if they don't exist):
- game.txt for use in UMD games
- game150.txt for homebrew loaded from the GAME150 folder (or GAME folder in 1.5 kernel mode)
- game3xx.txt for homebrew loaded from the GAME3xx folder (or GAME folder in 3.xx kernel mode) - replace xx by your firmware minor version
- pops.txt for games played with POPS
- vsh.txt for VSH/XMB
to at least contain the following line:
ms0:/SEPLUGINS/joysens.prx

Guppy > Chief Squatting Hard > 1/2 Pint > Fart Sniffer > Tone Deff > Motor Mouth > Allumnist > King of the Wii-tards > Who Farted > Poker Champ > Chaos Lover > Bomb Maker > CyberPyrot Wannabe

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal