Author Topic: VUmeters and other things  (Read 6461 times)

Offline F00 f00

• Site Owner
  • MFH
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • International Hobo
    • TailormadeToys
VUmeters and other things
« on: June 28, 2008, 04:34:11 AM »
Not sure if anyone else has done this or not. VUmeters are basically the dancing light meters you sometimes have on audio equipment. I really like them for some reason so decided to hack one into my psp. Actually Ive done two. One is on Sims psp and one on mine. There slightly different in that one has one quad op amp an the other uses two. Which basically translates to one havening 4 outputs an the other having 8. Sims uses 10 leds and min uses 20. Both look good.

Heres a pic of how the single chip board looks installed.

As you can see its a little bit messier than I would normally like but it fits in nicely. You can just about make out the makeshift socket that I put together so I can remove the door and all the leds. In fact the whole board is removable in this way. You can also see in this pic that theres a camera installed. I dont remember how it was that did that first but congrats, its a night mare to get to work. Those cams are easily broken.

Heres a pic of the dual chip version.

Not a big diferance, basically the same but with two chips and double the number of outputs and resistors. Again the board and door are removable via the same type of pin connectors. You can also see in this pic part of my gps module. I have internalized it but at the moment this dosent work since the psp itself blocks the signals from getting to the antenna. As of yet I have no way of fixing this so if anyone has done this or has an idea on how to fix it please share the knowledge ;)

Heres a pic of how one of the doors look with the lighting set up.

It took a little wile to wire but wasnt as hard as it might look. Making the lights removable made the whole job a lot easier to work with.

finally heres a pic of them both closed up.

I have shot some video of them working but it might take me a wile to edit it. Reason being I have just switched to Ubuntu full time and havent used any video editing software under Linux before. If any one can recommend a good program let me know.

Offline GhoSt

• Creating Null
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +19/-0
  • Null Pointer Exception
Re: VUmeters and other things
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 04:48:15 AM »
thats pretty cool i was thinking off somthing like taht
|Variegation - GhoSt's Final Controller|

|Nothing is deterministic.|

Offline Aricado

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Hiding under your bed devouring your dreams..
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 04:52:27 AM »
I like that.Great idea,though I can't help you because I don't have much experience with IC's yet.
I can't w8 for my next year at school!! Computer electronics rule!

Aricado: Kenshinffx made my sig.
"I made your Avatar too!"
Aricado: Get outta my head!!!!

Offline 4dP

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Modder For Hire - AM Donator
    • Modder For Hire website Hire me
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 04:58:06 AM »
yup got those right next to me

PINOY AKO

Offline F00 f00

• Site Owner
  • MFH
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • International Hobo
    • TailormadeToys
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 05:01:55 AM »
yup got those right next to me
Got what right next to you?

Offline ApheX

• Club AM VIP
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • PSP And PSP Slim Case/Hardware Modder
    • ApheX MoDs
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 05:03:33 AM »
Got what right next to you?

I think he means the leds your using. Brilliant led mod dude, can't wait till the vids up!

VoX

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 05:12:38 AM »
Good job F00. I built a VU meter for my old computer's drive bay, worked like a charm. The Hive is able to do this, When I get mine I might show you it

Offline ApheX

• Club AM VIP
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +1/-0
    • ApheX MoDs
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 05:15:18 AM »
Good job F00. I built a VU meter for my old computer's drive bay, worked like a charm. The Hive is able to do this, When I get mine I might show you it

You might show it? your such a teese VoX, LOL!  :huh:

Offline DubbleDutch

• BlietZ Modding
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +3/-0

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2008, 05:24:48 AM »
Welcome back f00 f00

does this mean you are completely back in the modding community ^^ ?

To all of you crying about lag and kicks, remember… when Jesus died, took him 3 days to respawn. Now THAT is lag.

Offline F00 f00

• Site Owner
  • MFH
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • International Hobo
    • TailormadeToys
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2008, 05:58:26 AM »
Hi dutch. Not sure if I am back or not. Still very busy with work. But have had a few days off because of a bereavement and thought Id post up some stuff to keep my mind off things.

Cant say Ive seen much to make me want to hang around. The secrecy thing is so old and boring now. I think Id rather be in a community that shares information rather than hordes it. I dont mean to offend any one by that statement.

I think forums where people show they're progress and find and share help with one another are much more fun places to be. Obviously everyone is free to do whatever they like, I just dont dig the "my secret project" stuff anymore. This aint rocket science, no ones going to get rich doing this (apart from ben heck). Its supposed to be a bit of fun. I actually enjoy modding things, its my hobby and I'll be doing it whether I post stuff here or not.

I'll hang around and post a few more things and see how it goes.

Back on topic. If any one here wants to make one of these I think I have a schematic for the boards some where. If I cant find it I'll post the links to the resources I used to make it. You'll have to test it for yourself as these things need to tweaked to work correctly. Wicjh is a real :censored: because while you have the parts in a bread boar, the board itself efects the meter, so its really hard to tell whether youve set it correctly without actually finishing the board.

Offline ApheX

• Club AM VIP
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +1/-0
    • ApheX MoDs
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2008, 06:16:59 AM »
Hi dutch. Not sure if I am back or not. Still very busy with work. But have had a few days off because of a bereavement and thought Id post up some stuff to keep my mind off things.

Cant say Ive seen much to make me want to hang around. The secrecy thing is so old and boring now. I think Id rather be in a community that shares information rather than hordes it. I dont mean to offend any one by that statement.

I think forums where people show they're progress and find and share help with one another are much more fun places to be. Obviously everyone is free to do whatever they like, I just dont dig the "my secret project" stuff anymore. This aint rocket science, no ones going to get rich doing this (apart from ben heck). Its supposed to be a bit of fun. I actually enjoy modding things, its my hobby and I'll be doing it whether I post stuff here or not.

I'll hang around and post a few more things and see how it goes.

Back on topic. If any one here wants to make one of these I think I have a schematic for the boards some where. If I cant find it I'll post the links to the resources I used to make it. You'll have to test it for yourself as these things need to tweaked to work correctly. Wicjh is a real :censored: because while you have the parts in a bread boar, the board itself efects the meter, so its really hard to tell whether youve set it correctly without actually finishing the board.

Agreed. it's nice to get the whole story with mods not just some ramdom explination crypticly given out, it's a mod. the reason people do this is because they like it and want to share there ideas. how you suppost to do that if it's a secret. (i'm goona stop now, could go on for hours, lol!)

F00 f00, if it's possibal could i get a schematic of this, i'm very interested in making this mod. :)

Offline F00 f00

• Site Owner
  • MFH
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • International Hobo
    • TailormadeToys
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2008, 06:32:11 AM »
http://www.elecfree.com/electronic/audio-vu-meter-by-lm324/

Thats the page that I used as a basic guide. I cant remember of the top of my head what adjustments I made to get it working. I may have also used a different IC but that wont have changed much. Probably best if you buy the ones they used. I suggest making it up on a breadboard first but bare in mind that I found that the circuit behaved differently once it was set up on a proto board. I dont really know why, but I did manage to fix it in the end. Another strange effect that I came across was that in my first atemps the board would only work correctly when my hand was near it.

Offline ApheX

• Club AM VIP
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +1/-0
    • ApheX MoDs
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2008, 06:36:06 AM »
http://www.elecfree.com/electronic/audio-vu-meter-by-lm324/

Thats the page that I used as a basic guide. I cant remember of the top of my head what adjustments I made to get it working. I may have also used a different IC but that wont have changed much. Probably best if you buy the ones they used. I suggest making it up on a breadboard first but bare in mind that I found that the circuit behaved differently once it was set up on a proto board. I dont really know why, but I did manage to fix it in the end. Another strange effect that I came across was that in my first atemps the board would only work correctly when my hand was near it.

Cool, thanks F00 f00, i'll have a look and atempt to make one. glad to have you back!

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2008, 07:30:39 AM »
That's sweet! Did anyone else notice the build in camera too? Haha great job F00 f00!!Good to see you back for now too :D

Offline DubbleDutch

• BlietZ Modding
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +3/-0

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2008, 08:03:49 AM »
yeh i noticed it too kicks

looks good though, but i'd love to see them both in action. the VUmeter and the camera ^^

To all of you crying about lag and kicks, remember… when Jesus died, took him 3 days to respawn. Now THAT is lag.

Offline 00G

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Woohoo, 1/2 more and I'm a pint!!!
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2008, 08:48:03 AM »
You could also use one of these and there is a config to make all the LEDs light at once or single, like when you reach max voltage.  I believe it has a lower parts count and is very adjustable.

LM3915

Offline robin1989

• Site Owner - Site Maintenance & development
  • Administrator
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +21/-0
  • Site owner
    • Acidmods
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2008, 08:52:00 AM »
kwl hope you sort out that video soon

i am not responsible for what i do or my advice

Get the iPhone 4s from Three using Quidco and recieve £109 cashback

Offline F00 f00

• Site Owner
  • MFH
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • International Hobo
    • TailormadeToys
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2008, 08:57:05 AM »
Yeah I did consider one of those. I cant remember what put me off. It may well have been the fact I already had quads here. I like the idea of single leds lighting up, I didnt realize they had that capability.
Wait actually maybe it was the size that put me off. Etherway, thats worth checking out, could be a lot easier to use.

Edit: @robin, may be tomorrow now. Ive got a friend coming over tonight.

Offline Timmy

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2008, 09:09:51 AM »
yeah ive made a few circuit boards with these, i havn't put one of them in a console but mine are 100% smd, i just need some thinner pcb then iwas going to show them off a little

Heres my lm324's and a tac switch for reference

i also find it helps to add a trimmer pot to the circuit to control the sensativity  of it too.

also i thought i'd show off one of my 30 pin ipod connectors, really fun to mess around with

and lastly f00 i think you were sort of unactive when this was shown but we got rumble working sound reactive without PIC's , i did a POC but unfortunately no one did one in a console yet : (

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNReNUSwtVQ

cant wait to see sims psp, its going to be something to behold :D
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 09:20:12 AM by TimmyDX »

Offline crashman2k7

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2008, 09:35:30 AM »
hey do u have the schemz to making the rumble pack  am willing to have 2 of those install on both side of ma psp =) it allready moded to the max i was goona installthe internal camera but $$$ 70 %%% for a camera wahooo rumble motor i     toke them off ma old nokia phones! i jus tneed the schem to hook them up:D link me asap!
thanks

Offline Timmy

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2008, 07:30:56 PM »
nice to see some interest man :D

if you could do a release that would be fantastic for the site

as for the schematic cyber....or....SYSTEM made it and its in the PSP tutorial section, i just did the POC on hyper large scale on some vero board, cybers the deviant mastermind behind the mod.

so yeah, check the psp tutorial section

Offline crashman2k7

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2008, 10:33:49 PM »
TIM NICE SIG HAHAHAHAHHA sorry off topic =)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal