Author Topic: My EeePC  (Read 13817 times)

Offline F00 f00

• Site Owner
  • MFH
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • International Hobo
    • TailormadeToys
My EeePC
« on: June 28, 2008, 07:55:45 AM »
So I got myself an eeepc a few weeks ago and I have to say these things totaly rule. I'd advise any one looking for a new laptop to invest in one. I doubt it would be much good if it was going be your main pc but if you already have a decent desktop then this is the perfect mobile pc.

Anyway as anyone that knows me would have guessed, I've done a few modifications to mine. Ive installed a small usb hub inside and added bluetooth, more storage and an external wifi antena.  I will also add a touchscreen when I have a little more time to play about with it.

I also have it set up to run both linux (BackTrack3, mostly for the wifi cracking apps) and an nLited version of xp sp3. This isnt really dual boot as both OS are on diferent drives. I chose between them by using the boot device selector in the start up menu. This works pretty well. I also used a few aps to set the internal usb drive to be seen as a nonremoveable disk by xp. This is usefull for disk partitioning amongst other things.

Heres a few pics to show you guys the bits Ive done.

overview of install.

The hub is in the center bottom of the board, to the right you can see the bluetooth module and up to the left theres the 8G usb flash drive.

closer look at the blutooth key.

The bluetooth feature is running perfectly in xp and BT3 (wich ive been using to play about with bluesnarfing)

The Flash drive.

Ive set this up with 4 partitions. 2 for the bt3 instal, one as a swap disk for xp, and the rest is storage thats FAT32 so can be read by Linux and Windoze.

In this pic you can just about make out the external antenna socket.

This part is really a work in progress as the result of testing the new areal are inconclusive right now. I am not really sure if its enough of an improvement to justify having it there. I do seem to be able to pick up more APs in kismet but the streath of the signals doesnt seem to have changed much.

Heres a pic of the finished mod with xp running.

You can just about see there that the bluetooth and internal cam are both working. Also while in xp I have the clock speed set to maximum so I get 1Ghz instead of the standard 800Mhz.

Heres BT3 Running.

In the pic Kismet is running and snooping about my building. The pop up at the botom of the screen says that I have 0min of battery left, which is not true. One thing they didnt fix between the beta and this final releace was the battery meter. If any one knows a fix Id be pleased to hear it.

Hope you guys like it. Comments are welcome.

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
Re: My EeePC
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 08:15:38 AM »
Woah that's sweet! Never really seen laptop mods before, that's amazing F00f00. You never cease to amaze me.

Offline DUKE

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 08:15:59 AM »
Thats sweet man must have been some project to complete. The outcome is very nice!  :#1:

Offline Ch4rL13

• R4z3R
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • R4z3R Gaming
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 08:29:38 AM »
awsome mate, nic0 has one too but his is white
those are cool mods, now maybe a tut for figuring out where to wire internal wifi? lol
great mod anyways

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 08:35:25 AM »
awsome mate, nic0 has one too but his is white
those are cool mods, now maybe a tut for figuring out where to wire internal wifi? lol
great mod anyways
It has internal wifi already :laughing: All EEE PCs come with wifi, hell, most if not all laptops come with internal wifi :laughing:

Offline robin1989

• Site Owner - Site Maintenance & development
  • Administrator
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +21/-0
  • Site owner
    • Acidmods
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 08:36:07 AM »
very nice f00 good to see you back yeh you and nic0 should have something to talk about lol. how much do they set you back in the UK

i am not responsible for what i do or my advice

Get the iPhone 4s from Three using Quidco and recieve £109 cashback

Offline F00 f00

• Site Owner
  • MFH
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • International Hobo
    • TailormadeToys
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 08:44:12 AM »
That is true it does have wifi already. It can upgraded to if you feel so inclined.

With the possible exception of the antenna all of these mods have been done before. Tutorials (lots of them) are avalable on the eee user forums.

Edit: Hey Robin. I think I paid £220 for mine, I here they're cheaper at PC world. Theres a few types about now, but Id recommend sticking with the older version like min, its significantly cheaper. The newer ones do have bigger screens though wich is a nice touch.

VoX

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 09:04:16 AM »
Nice job, I was thinking of getting one of these too bad I'm saving up for my PC.

Offline noah03ark

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Überm Sternenzelt richtet Gott, wie wir gerichtet
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2008, 11:18:44 AM »
nice work! ee's are awesome, tiny, and modable to the max

:D

Offline MattZani

• Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Matthew Dear
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2008, 03:46:00 PM »
Its cool, but I think nic0 is still just bettering you, if I remember he has 2 8Gb sticks inside.

Get that touch screen in! Its really easy, plug and play now, using the webcams custom USB connector.

May get an eeepc eventually, I almost got one, but had a MacBook pro instead :p is the 900 clocked faster?
Retired Modder, minor dabbling from now on :P

Offline F00 f00

• Site Owner
  • MFH
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • International Hobo
    • TailormadeToys
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2008, 04:15:11 PM »
Well I am not trying to win any competitions with it. 12G is more than enough for me, if I find I need more space then I'll ad another flash drive. I will do the touch screen mod as soon as I have time. I love touch screens.

I tested my antenna again earlier and I am now pretty confident its been a good improvement. I fired up kismet and found 38 APs in my building, I used to get 8 or 9 max. So ether its working or 30 people just got wifi.

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2008, 04:18:29 PM »
That's pretty sick F00f00! It looks like the bluetooth and 8gb cards are connected to a 4port hub pcb.Are they?

Offline F00 f00

• Site Owner
  • MFH
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • International Hobo
    • TailormadeToys
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2008, 12:44:28 AM »
Yeah they are (I did actually say that in the first post ). So Ive still got 2 ports empty but I really dont think I need anything else. GPS would be cool, but I cant imagine walking about looking ant my laptop when I am lost, an its a bit big to put in the window of a car. I suppose an old ipod would fit inside. You can stick them on HD mode so they just act liike a hard disk, but like I said I dont really need more space.

Offline robin1989

• Site Owner - Site Maintenance & development
  • Administrator
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +21/-0
  • Site owner
    • Acidmods
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2008, 03:02:38 AM »
you can get some phones i think the razor 3 can where you can controll it etc from a pc and make calls and texts etc that would be kwl on your laptop. or make one of theose 3g broadband things internall so that you can use it anyware like in hyde park etc

i am not responsible for what i do or my advice

Get the iPhone 4s from Three using Quidco and recieve £109 cashback

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2008, 05:19:31 AM »
Oh, didn't notice you said it was a hub :laughing: Great job, it still amazes me :D

Offline MattZani

• Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Matthew Dear
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2008, 03:51:35 PM »
Internal 3G Stick would be awesome, but the plans are pricey, and reception may be a problem.

+Side they are about the same size as a USB Mem Stick (Well, the Vodafone and O2 ones are)

VoX

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2008, 05:50:40 AM »
Yeah, A Mobile network adapter would be awesome. There are some cheap ones I've seen

Offline nez

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pirate For Life
    • 13xic0n administrator\owner
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2008, 10:16:21 PM »
Man it really nice i would buy one right now if i didn't buy a 17" macbook pro and then break the screen. The price of the whole Eee pc plus mods would cost less then replacing the screen on my laptop. Why did i have to get the biggest screen? Well i think i will save up to get one and do most of what you did plus add GPS. I am so upset when i got my mac i couldn't use kismac it cant use my wifi card. one of the only cards not compatible. would change it out but i would loose my warranty i just payed for and cant get a new HDD or keyboard or other part once they start wearing out.  I love BT3 it is the bomb just cant get it to work on my Mac even though they say it should. I personally would increase the size of storage just because i am a space abuser. what about adding an wireless n compatible wifi card in their or a mobile network would be sweet.

Offline F00 f00

• Site Owner
  • MFH
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • International Hobo
    • TailormadeToys
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2008, 08:19:36 AM »
Man it really nice i would buy one right now if i didn't buy a 17" macbook pro and then break the screen. The price of the whole Eee pc plus mods would cost less then replacing the screen on my laptop. Why did i have to get the biggest screen? Well i think i will save up to get one and do most of what you did plus add GPS. I am so upset when i got my mac i couldn't use kismac it cant use my wifi card. one of the only cards not compatible. would change it out but i would loose my warranty i just payed for and cant get a new HDD or keyboard or other part once they start wearing out.  I love BT3 it is the bomb just cant get it to work on my Mac even though they say it should. I personally would increase the size of storage just because i am a space abuser. what about adding an wireless n compatible wifi card in their or a mobile network would be sweet.
Oh man that sucks about your screen. Can you just hook it up to a monitor for now? I havent used kismac, but I assume it the same as kismet, could you use a usb wifi dongle? I know the linux version supports quite a few of them.

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2008, 10:12:20 AM »
Warranty's fix the screen.

Offline noah03ark

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2008, 11:01:21 AM »
im sorry to hear that. i kinda feel your pain, as i have a 15 inch that i dropped a few months ago

for them to simply look at it was 600$..if anything needed replacing it would cost much more :(
Oh man that sucks about your screen. Can you just hook it up to a monitor for now? I havent used kismac, but I assume it the same as kismet, could you use a usb wifi dongle? I know the linux version supports quite a few of them.

yes, he can hook it up to his monitor :D with autodetect, its very nice
i do it all the time
Warranty's fix the screen.
wrong

only if it was natrual hardware failure, otherwise with 'accidents' apple screws you over into paying a LOT of money to fix anything (600 is the base price to send it in)

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2008, 11:57:50 AM »
Apple sucks then. There was nothing wrong with my screen, and Dell replaced my screen for free. =P The cable was loose, and they replaced the whole screen. Free. That's another reason why Apple sucks XD XD

Back on topic! Still love the Eee F00. XD

Offline noah03ark

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2008, 12:15:04 PM »
Apple sucks then. There was nothing wrong with my screen, and Dell replaced my screen for free. =P The cable was loose, and they replaced the whole screen. Free. That's another reason why Apple sucks XD XD

Back on topic! Still love the Eee F00. XD
'
no, now if the cable came loose on its own apple would have no trouble fixing it

its if an accident or water damage to the computer, accidents meaning screen cracks or case dents, then apple would not solve it

as for the eepc..im actually on an old inspiron dell 8100 using ubuntu right now and i am liking it! instant gratification! (i swapped the HD that had windows with one from another computer w/ ubuntu) srsly, it recognized even my wireless card so i can connect!

any linux tips, foo?

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2008, 12:42:48 PM »
its if an accident or water damage to the computer, accidents meaning screen cracks or case dents, then apple would not solve it
Dell would! :D
As for linux, I would suggest learning some Terminal, as that's used a lot.

Offline noah03ark

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2008, 12:51:15 PM »
Dell would! :D
As for linux, I would suggest learning some Terminal, as that's used a lot.

i know they would, but the issue, as a freind of mine had, would be getting ahold of them
aside from their poor shipping habits (tiny 2gb flash drive in a large box big enough to fit a full size pc tower)
their customer service is quite poor, and from what i understand, its outsourced as well (and also from rumor of what i've heard, you have to pay to get a good customer service person in the states)
a freind of mine shoveled out thousands for one of the XPS gaming laptops, only to get one with a defective motherboard, and after calling customer service the first time, was hung up on. they tried to get it replaced over and over, but customer serivce was not being helpful at all. in the end, he managed to return it and got a macbook pro (the new penryn, 2.6, manually upgraded 4 gb ram, etc etc.)

as for ubuntu... its pretty good so far

as for the eepc

i saw one at a local BJ's Wholesale and fondled it (yes, fondled) for a good 10 minutes.
it wouldnt turn on, it wanst plugged in and the battery was probably dead, but it was sooo tiny :3

Offline MattZani

• Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Matthew Dear
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2008, 01:54:47 PM »
Nice to see your keeping your Sig upto date Noah!

Otacon also has a Mac Pro With 2 30" ACD's and a projector, and Sunny also has a a Mac Pro, but has 3 23" ACD's ^^ Strange he has a 15" MBP Though, he must be so used to MASSIVE res lol

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2008, 02:21:21 PM »
i know they would, but the issue, as a freind of mine had, would be getting ahold of them
aside from their poor shipping habits (tiny 2gb flash drive in a large box big enough to fit a full size pc tower)
their customer service is quite poor, and from what i understand, its outsourced as well (and also from rumor of what i've heard, you have to pay to get a good customer service person in the states)
a freind of mine shoveled out thousands for one of the XPS gaming laptops, only to get one with a defective motherboard, and after calling customer service the first time, was hung up on. they tried to get it replaced over and over, but customer serivce was not being helpful at all. in the end, he managed to return it and got a macbook pro (the new penryn, 2.6, manually upgraded 4 gb ram, etc etc.)
They're fine with me, always overnight shipping, great customer service. Even the technician was great.

Offline noah03ark

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2008, 06:27:33 PM »
Nice to see your keeping your Sig upto date Noah!

Otacon also has a Mac Pro With 2 30" ACD's and a projector, and Sunny also has a a Mac Pro, but has 3 23" ACD's ^^ Strange he has a 15" MBP Though, he must be so used to MASSIVE res lol

iknow right!? XD

Offline nez

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pirate For Life
    • 13xic0n administrator\owner
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2008, 10:20:30 PM »
Yea i called apple and they said it is an accidental and not covered under their warranty. but i have been using a 14' external monitor but i would like to hook it up to my 49 inch screen but it will not do it. i am using a converter from the normal vga connection to dvi and my tv i have an dvi to hdmi cable that worked for my base computer before it decided not to turn on or work. No clue why it will not work for my laptop. i guess i will have to get a normal vga cable for the tv and use the dvi vga converter to the laptop. i wish the dvi hdmi would work. :beg: :huh:

Well i guess i am a noob at BT3 and can not find the tut on how to use it. the commands and all. i know what programs to use but don't know how to use them and kismac is so easy to use. kismet is kinda the same. hey i think you should add a Intersil Prism wifi card in there have two one for cracking and other for surfing. or just replace with a Intersil Prism.

update i got a vga it work great so now i can use my 49 tv as a screen once again.
update update
here just seen this on hack a day
http://www.hackaday.com/2008/07/02/eee-pc-900-touchscreen/
<a href="http://s.ytimg.com/yt/swf/watch-vfl45251.swf" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://s.ytimg.com/yt/swf/watch-vfl45251.swf</a>
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 10:37:27 PM by gameking21 »

Offline F00 f00

• Site Owner
  • MFH
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • International Hobo
    • TailormadeToys
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2008, 03:10:54 PM »
Wow, how off topic is this thread?

Back on topic.

Quic update. Added a touch sreen (he best thing I've done in a long while. I totally rules). Added indicator les for the bluetooth and the internal usb flash drive. Added a stylus slot for the touch screen stylus (its actualy a ds oe, but it fitted nicely.

I'll update with pics of everything at the weekend.

Edit: for tutoials on backtrack google backtrack3 theres hundreds of wep cracking tutorials and bt has its own (very good) forum. Please try to keep any pen testing talk on this forum legal.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 03:20:48 PM by F00 f00 »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal