Author Topic: USB HOST/MASS STORAGE PROJECT  (Read 34553 times)

Offline halfquater

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
Re: USB HOST/MASS STORAGE PROJECT
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2008, 09:59:29 AM »
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Duracell-Supreme-AA-2650mAh-Pack/dp/B000G1662O/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1217177454&sr=1-4
i was hoping 4 of these batteries connected in series would be capable of powering the nslu2 and connected devices for at least an hour or so. also i think it would be possible to charge them (maybe not fully) using the psp power supply, but i'll have to corner an electrician in work to confirm this.

Offline gr8npwrfl

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Ignorance is not fatal it can be cured
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2008, 10:25:52 AM »
They would need a separate charger. They have constraints on the power input during charge and they can explode if the input current vs temperature is exceeded. But there are a million different
tiny wall mount chargers available to do this task.

The NSLU2 can draw up to 2 amps sometimes. That means you are going to have to regulate the input voltage to the NSLU2 to 5.0 Volts. You can not just stick 6 volts into the NSLU2.

If you use a linear regulator you are going to consume 15 to 20% of your available power to wasted
heat.

You need a switching supply to regulate the voltage to +5.00 Volts.

Those are the things you need to watch out for.

Offline halfquater

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2008, 10:22:38 AM »
fortunately they are 1.2v each, so a regulator wouldn't be needed. using AA batteries would be convenient, but i was hoping to be able to charge them inside the box that will hold everything. hmm... i think i'll have to read up on charging circuits. many thanks.

Offline halfquater

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2008, 03:19:19 PM »
fair play that's awesome! my nslu2 is working with usbhostfs. thanks gr8npwrfl, your cool as :censored:. for £56 i've got a server for my psp! a tenner for a broken ipod classic gets me 60GB im hoping i can fit inside the current box.

the only problem i had was formatting my flash disk to ext3. the first one i tried gave up on digital life, and the second refused to format (i think due to a pesky u3 partion i didn't know about). third time lucky and im there!

thanks for an awesome tut.

on with the batery power!

Offline gr8npwrfl

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2008, 09:27:06 PM »
I am making a change to the tuts

The problem is if you ever formated to ext3 and try to redo it to unsling your nslu2 it won't work

So you plug into the PC first and format it to fat32 with complete format.

Then plug back into the NSLU2 and format to ext3.

It then works every time, even the stubborn ones that don't seem to work
all the time work this way.

If you are connected to your network and you want you can even make the NSLU2
a mini webserver and serve your homepage to the internet at the same time.

Check this out:

http://71.254.185.108:8080

Thats my NSLU2 running as a web server even while I do program development on it, and serve
games at the same time.

Offline scorn4society

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2008, 06:21:41 AM »
I have been following this thread for months now, and to start off, gr8npwrfl, you are a genius.  But thats about ass kissing isn't my thing, so enough of that.

I have read all 10 pages of the previous thread and both (so far) of this one, several times all the way through, and I have a couple questions.  I am not an experienced programmer, and have only been learning linux for a couple of months now (I work too much so haven't gotten really far with it), so I don't know how difficult it is to add bluetooth (I know, not programming), with A2DP/AVRCP (the programming part).  I have been looking through google, and I have seen several driver packages for bluetooth with linux, but I don't know the limitations of this set up.  Also, is it possible to add a chip to add "native" bluetooth connectivity, that can be controlled through the unslung interface?  I'm not really asking for a walkthough, I'm just asking if its possible?

Thanks in advance.

Offline gr8npwrfl

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2008, 11:00:21 AM »
Ok to make bluetooth work on ANY system.

1. You need the hardware. (No problem bluetooth usb dongles are a dime a dozen)
2. You need drivers for the hardware ( No problem they are available for both Windows and Linux)

One of the most important

3 You need a bluetooth stack - The bluetooth stack is programming that is just like tcpip networking
for an ethernet or wireless interface.

I do not know if you know it or not, But to make ethernet work there are multiple layers of
software to make it run.

There is the hardware layer
the protocol layer
the command layer
the communications layer.

Just to name the main ones. This is called the Ethernet Stack.

Because bluetooth is also a network protocol it also needs a stack of software.
But bluetooth can do more than just networking. It can do audio, video, and
many more that are not implemented yet.

So we have to add more layers of protocol to the software that runs
the interface.

All this together is called the bluetooth stack.

Just recently a group has released a bluetooth stack for linux. I already
have a copy of it. It will have to be translated and compiled for the
NSLU2.

So in answer to your question, YES

I have it on my list of things to do.

Offline scorn4society

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2008, 07:43:24 PM »
I don't know if this will help in your efforts or not, but while researching one of my WIP mods involving a cellphone and a mobile internet modem, I ran into this, http://www.openmoko.com/, and considering that your mod involves a linux-converted nslu2... Well, take a look.  I hope it helps.

Offline K240

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2008, 09:52:22 AM »
Hi,
does anyone know how to run NetHostFS/USBHostFS on the NSLU2 with debian?
I have debian, because unslung doesn't recognize my USB HDD and my SDHC card reader

BIG THX for help

K240

Offline rzsose

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2008, 04:22:49 AM »
Pardon,

I don't mind being connected via wire. How can I connect via usb ipod, external drive, mp3 player to psp? I have tried some usbhostfs drivers and have not worked. Also, are there any diagrams to create a usb host cable from two usb cables?

Offline Zanitos

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2009, 11:58:07 AM »
Is there any further developement on this project? I'd really love to see it finished.. been reading and drooling over the concept.

Offline brianpspmod

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2009, 08:50:03 AM »
I miss you gr8nprwfl!!  where are you?!  i know you are probably working on dev and pulling ideas out of your awesome genius brain. We are all wondering how your xm4 boards are coming!!!

Offline brianpspmod

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2009, 02:38:33 PM »
Ok,  heres an update.

Gr8npwrfl seems to have abandoned us.  It is probably not his intent to have abandoned this project,  just probably got caught up in work or life, it happens.  I feel like we are very close to finalizing this project.  I have been doing some thinking.  The nslu2 was succesful because of a few key reasons.  1) It ran on a linux os.  2) it had usb host capabilities (with usb 2.0)  3) usbhostfs/nethostfs were customized to run with the linux os running on the NSLU2 unit. 

The nslu2 was proven to be functional.  Gr8npwrfl was developing a board to be paired with the smaller XM4 board to give it usb 2,0 capabilities and allow the unit to be internalized to the psp.  The programs written for the NSLU2 were going to be installed on the XM4 because they ran on the same os.  I believe that if we can find a board that is small enough, runs linux, and has usb 2.0 spec we can simply load Gr8's verson of usbhostfs and internalize this project.  I have begun the search for boards that will fit our qualifications!!  Lets not abandon this project!!! we can do this!! Lets internalize the usb mass storage project!!!!

Offline brianpspmod

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2009, 03:05:45 PM »
http://www.linuxdevices.com/articles/AT8498487406.html

check out all of these linux embedded devices.  surely we should be able to load unslung and trhe rest of gr8npwrfl's programs onto the boards.  anyone with some insight please do not hesitate to help out the community.  This will be the greatest psp mod since CFW

Offline brianpspmod

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2009, 04:07:46 PM »
ok here is what we need to do next.  we need to figure out how to load debian on an sbc.  i was thinking the ucDimm  board,  its only 1.7''x2.7''  easy fit in psp.  So  we need to figure out how to load debian on it.  shouldnt be too hard

Offline brianpspmod

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2009, 07:04:18 PM »
any ideas are encouraged.  i welcome all help.  i am pulling all of these ideas out of my ass.

Offline brianpspmod

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2009, 07:47:21 PM »
think i might have found our board.  if anyone can find a cheaper one let me know.
http://www.compulab.co.il/x270cm/html/x270-cm-datasheet.htm

Offline brianpspmod

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2009, 02:23:59 PM »
FOUND IT!!!!!!!!!  this is the board we need.   

Geode LX800  2.7 x 2.3 inches.  this is the board used in an NSLU2 alternative called the Fit-PC Slim.  It is an actual pc that runs linux and comes with an optional 2.5 inch hdd.   Sooooo just need to get the board and load unslung and usbhostfs onto a thumbdrive and run this baby!!!  PSP INTERNAL HDD IS NOW VERY CLOSE ON THE HORIZON!!!!

Offline SyncShark

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2009, 05:22:00 PM »
So I've read every line in this thread and the other thread that this whole project began on but everything has seemed to have stopped with the absence of gr8npwrfl. Does anyone know where Gr8npwrfl went or what he's up to? It seems like such a waste to have abandoned something that so much work had already went to...

Anyway, props to the people that are still working on the project in the shadows. I'd be neck deep in this project but the whole getting a degree thing devours all of my time.

Will keep watching.

Offline brianpspmod

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2009, 05:17:01 PM »
dude i have our solution, its just a matter of funds.  if you want to pay the money for the upgrade it is very possible.  Gr8npwrfls custom board for internalizing was going to cost like 150.  the board i found that we can use since he is MIA will cost like 200.  soo.  when i get paid this week im buying one, programing it and strapping my zune hdd in for a test run.  Will provide a POC video as soon as i get it up and running

Offline Yuiko_Shaw

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2009, 12:07:11 AM »
ever heard of this: http://www.slashgear.com/witchain-usb-drive-enclosure-for-psp-2832212/
has anyone ever tried one of this???

Offline SyncShark

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2009, 11:38:54 AM »
ever heard of this: http://www.slashgear.com/witchain-usb-drive-enclosure-for-psp-2832212/
has anyone ever tried one of this???
Yeah, it was the witchain that actually got me interested in the whole Psp Mass Storage thing and then I found Gr8's thread and progress with the Linux board which seemed like such an excellent idea...

If I can ever find some damn time, I'd really like to look into this...

...any luck Brian?

Offline DuctTapedGoat

• PC Repair Junkie
  • Registered BST
  • Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +20/-12
  • I'm a duct-taped goat.
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2011, 09:11:45 AM »
To start, this is out of my league, but to those who are in the majors...

I know that essentially, anything we hook up via usb and duo are considered slave, and thus it's not a "hard drive".

I know that there's the onboard system memory we can view via recovery menu. Could we increase the size of the onboard memory modules by replacing them with modules of a higher capacity, use a partition manager to make the original size, and then make a new partition, using the remaining space as a "hard drive"?

Granted, it wouldn't be the 160 gig stuff people are aiming for - but it seems to me that it'd be an integral step in OS development on the PSP.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 09:12:37 AM by DuctTapedGoat »

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
  • Dōmo, Konnichiwa, :censored:es...
    • Misadventures in Mediocrity and Modding
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2011, 10:15:12 AM »
PLEASE DO NOT BUMP OLD TOPICS!

this project was unrealistic and has been killed... the last post before yours was in 2009... 2 years ago!

AcidMods Ninja... You won't know I'm there until you're gone...

All of these sigs are from the original acidmods sig comp...  @jrfhoutx  "No respect, no respect at all... that's the story of my life." --

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal